Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 03:13 AM   #16
tr071
tr071 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Actually, the OTG USB is the INTERNAL one used by the 3G modem. The external connector only acts as a device, and does not support host mode. It would be possible to connect the external USB with another USB device such as the USB LCD, but you would need a host bridge device between them.

And you would need special device drivers inside the kindle.
Hello, this is my first post, nice to meet you guys

According to the website http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...p?code=i.MX353
kindle will have a USB host connect and USB OTG connect. I think it make much more sense for kindle to use USB host to connect to the 3G modem. If OTG is used, as you mentioned, then the external one would be USB host, which could still work, right?

Last edited by tr071; 03-14-2012 at 03:35 AM.
tr071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr071 View Post
Hello, this is my first post, nice to meet you guys

According to the website http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...p?code=i.MX353
kindle will have a USB host connect and USB OTG connect. I think it make much more sense for kindle to use USB host to connect to the 3G modem. If OTG is used, as you mentioned, then the external one would be USB host, which could still work, right?
I tried to find that post to update it after reading the manual. The internal port is Host-Only, and the external port is OTG (Host or Device mode). That means if we figure out how to enable it, we should be able to connect a USB mouse or keyboard, or a USB flash drive to the kindle external USB port.

I based that other post on what I learned from other posts, just repeating incorrect information that I believed at the time. Live and learn.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #18
Bananapower
Bananapower began at the beginning.

Device: no one yet
Hello, i know this is super old but i wanted to ask you guys if my idea si viable or not.
I have a chinese tablet that fell to the floor and now the screen is broken, so, i was thinking to replace that screen with an e-ink one from a kindle or any e book. it's that possible? i saw that kindle and my tablet uses the same voltage imput (3.7V) voltage. Hope you can answer me! have a good one
Bananapower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananapower View Post
Hello, i know this is super old but i wanted to ask you guys if my idea si viable or not.
I have a chinese tablet that fell to the floor and now the screen is broken, so, i was thinking to replace that screen with an e-ink one from a kindle or any e book. it's that possible? i saw that kindle and my tablet uses the same voltage imput (3.7V) voltage. Hope you can answer me! have a good one
No, you cannot replace the LCD screen with an eInk screen. You'd need to install the eInk screen profile and the eInk screen controller. Then you'd need to modify the system software to be able to use the new hardware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Do you have the technical knowledge to be able to write a device driver to interface with an eInk screen controller?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Impossible to answer without more technical details of the tablet electronics.

The interfaces used by an e-ink screen and a lcd srceen are different but some SoC devices have support for both.

Once you answer the: "is it possible" question, then you have to find an answer to the: "is it practical" question.
In general, without knowing your resources for board redesign and rework, I'll hazard a guess:
No.

Just buy a replacement screen for the tablet.
It is a lot less grief in your life that way.

tl;dr: No
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink, kindle, lcd, replace, screen