Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
nettomb
nettomb began at the beginning.

Device: Apad
Reading software with marking text

Hi all!

I'm really after a reader (for android OS) that allows one to underline or highlight text (or some other marking method) and save it. I usually use doc or txt file formats.
I've recently tried "documents to go", but selecting and marking text (I did it changing the fonts to bold) takes 5 steps... just impracticable.
Is there any Android reader or text processing application which allows for fast text marks insertion?

thanks
nettomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
nettomb

I'm really surprised that nobody is able to point an application which will allow easy annotation.
This is the third Android forum I post and nobody seems to have an answer.
I bought an android device instead of an ipad, because I thought that, even if inferior in terms of hardware and application possibilities, such a basic functionality couldn't be absent, just to find out that text annotation is still out of the scope of present technology (for most devices, at least).
I really don't know how reading devices can outlast with such a deficiency... or, maybe, I have really very strange reading habits.

Perhaps, someone could point me to the cheapest device able to read pdf or doc and annotate text with ease (intuitively)... not a slow and awkward five step edition procedure.
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Kindle for Android just released Vs 1.1 which enabled highlighting, but I'm not sure if it does TXT files or not, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't do DOC files.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
nettomb

I've mentioned TXT as a way of showing that I'm not really concerned about formatting (other than a simple way of marking text) or the like. Most of my files are PDF or DOC, but I wouldn't have any impediment converting them to txt or rtf to use them on a reading device, if necessay.
So, any device which is able to read an universal text file and allows for easy annotations would be great for me.
If the device only allows for annotations of proprietary file formats, then it's of no use.

thanks anyway.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Kindle for Android just released Vs 1.1 which enabled highlighting, but I'm not sure if it does TXT files or not, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't do DOC files.
Doesn't Amazon offer a conversion service? If so would that be applicable here?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettomb View Post
I've mentioned TXT as a way of showing that I'm not really concerned about formatting (other than a simple way of marking text) or the like. Most of my files are PDF or DOC, but I wouldn't have any impediment converting them to txt or rtf to use them on a reading device, if necessay.
So, any device which is able to read an universal text file and allows for easy annotations would be great for me.
If the device only allows for annotations of proprietary file formats, then it's of no use.

thanks anyway.
Can you use Mobi files? Those should work in K4Android. Calibre can convert to them from PDF or RTF.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
nettomb

If the conversion is easy and unrestricted and I'm able to convert it back, it'll be ok.

I just need to be able to annotate text, in whichever format makes me able of reading it in my pc again, be it through reconvertion or directly.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate

Hmmm, don't think the highlights/annotations would survive the trip back.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate

Both Documents to Go and OfficeSuite Pro allow editing of DOC files. They both cost $15 but OfficeSuite Pro has a free trial version. Both are available on the MarketPlace. I haven't tried either of them so I can't recommend one over the other. I'd suggest installing the OfficeSuite Pro trial and see if it does what you need.

I don't believe either will allow editing of PDF files, but both will view them.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
nettomb

Thanks Wodin.

I have tried documents to go on a friends device and its method for highlighting is too awkward. Five steps involved. Just too slow to be of any use.

I then downloaded the demo version of Officesuite and it has a much better method, but files larger than 30kb (more or less) take too long to load and functions become clumsy.

I don't know if there is a way to allocate more memory to the app, since I'm not yet used to android, but the way it's running now makes it useless too.