Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
I'm having trouble with Calibres sendmail function

Hi,

I'm having issues with calibres send mail function. I think that its just me being dumb but I can send mail to my gmail account while the free.kindle.com doesnt receive anything
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
Hi,

I'm having issues with calibres send mail function. I think that its just me being dumb but I can send mail to my gmail account while the free.kindle.com doesnt receive anything
Is yourkindle@free.kindle.com showing up in your email accounts in "Manage Your Kindle"?
Is the account that you are sending from registered in "Manage Your Kindle"?

These are a couple of the most common issues.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Yes, actually for both.
I've registered name@gmail.com as a safe account to send from and when I send from there to the name@free.kindle.com I'm able to receive it on my Kindle. I've also configured calibre to 'Send as' name@gmail.com. So when I send to my gmail account from calibre, I get an email from 'me' to 'myself'. But, when I try to send to name@free.kindle.com it doesn't go through. So far, the only guess I can make is that the Kindle servers are blocking calibre. Is there any other email address that I should add to the Kindle whitelist, other than my 'name@gmail.com'.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm assuming that in Calibre preferences you have the name@free.kindle.com entered and a check mark in the box as well as your name@kindle.com

I have had no problems sending to name@free.kindle.com from within Calibre, so I don't think it is a Calibre issue.

cheers
Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
ski_power
Book eater

That is correct, name@free.kindle.com is entered and has a checkbox next to it. I have not entered a name@kindle.com for the fear of requiring to pay Amazon if its on 3G instead.

Also, how much time typically does it take to send the email, since there's no progress bar its difficult to say.
Ok, so I don't need to add another entry to the Amazon Whitelist?
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
That is correct, [email]

Also, how much time typically does it take to send the email, since there's no progress bar its difficult to say.

If you're sending from Gmail, then yes, make sure your gmail e-mail address is in the whitelist.

To be safe, I added all my email accounts to the whitelist. It was easier than keeping track of which account I was logged into at any time.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Instant. Like within seconds, unless its that time of year when everyone is trying out their new Kindles at once!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
ski_power
Book eater

@Gwen: If it helps, I'm using the EXACT same gmail id that I have registered the kindle to. And yes, that email id is in the amazon whitelist.

I was wondering that since I'm sending through calibre, does Amazon reject the email just because it somehow 'knows' that its not from the whitelist but instead its sent by someone else(which is calibre in this case).
In simple words, can calibre spoof (is that the right word?) the emails to look like its coming from my gmail id almost perfectly?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I was wondering that since I'm sending through calibre, does Amazon reject the email just because it somehow 'knows' that its not from the whitelist but instead its sent by someone else(which is calibre in this case).
In simple words, can calibre spoof (is that the right word?) the emails to look like its coming from my gmail id almost perfectly?
I don't have a Kindle and have no experience in this area, but I can tell you that Amazon only knows that it is coming from a gmail account. Amazon has no idea or cares that it is from calibre.

If I understand correctly you can send books to your gmail account from calibre, correct?

Can you manually send a book to your amazon account from gmail?

If you can then send to Amazon from gmail outside of calibre then It sounds like you have jumped through all of the proper hoops. At this point I would look for typos or hidden characters in the info I entered into calibre. I would remove every email address in any spot I could and type them in manually one letter at a time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
ski_power
Book eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Can you manually send a book to your amazon account from gmail?
Yes I can. It take 2-5 minutes but I do receive it on my kindle.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes I can. It take 2-5 minutes but I do receive it on my kindle.
Can you send books from calibre to any email address?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
ski_power
Book eater

Good point, I havent tried that. I'll try that now.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
Leep
Guru

I have the K3 wifi and it only usually takes less than a minute for me to receive what I've sent on my K3. (the one exception was Saturday when they updated everyone's software)

The big difference between sending it to name@Kindle.com and to name@free.Kindle.com is that I get a supplimental email from Amazon saying my document is on it's way when I use free.kindle.com. Everything I send is from within Calibre, which is why it doesn't sound like a Calibre issue to me. If you'd like to personal mail me and include a print screen of your mail preferences screen, I'll see if I see any anomalies.

cheers
Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
ski_power
Book eater

Ok, I'm sorry guys for the trouble. Apparently if I click Send and then leave calibre running, it _does_ go to the Kindle. All this time, I've been doing my management->hitting send->closing calibre too soon.

This became evident when I sent the emails to my other email accounts, I'd leave calibre running while waiting for a mail.
/facepalm on self

Thanks guys.

Mods you can close this thread as the problem is solved. (Error code: PEBKAC)