Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #31
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur
David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleDude View Post
I can understand why you're upset, and I do think the lists should be adjusted in some way to account for free versus paid (folks, can we not provide this information in feedback to Amazon?). But I really think it's not as bad as you say. Most discerning readers, including discerning readers of sci-fi and fantasy, are not going to be swayed by numbers but by reputation among readers and reviews by trusted reviewers.

(I may feel differently if my novel, if I ever finish it, gets swamped by freebies from the big houses. If so, you are welcome to say 'I told you, dude.').

Haha...I can assure you, when your book is done, you'll feel the same way I do. You'll become obsessed with your amazon stats and it will eventually drive you totally insane.

Get to work on that novel!
David J. Guyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #32
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur
David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Very nice cover artwork! I clicked to the site and zoomed the cover--
Thanks dreams! The next one will be even better.

If you care to see the cover the way it was intended, click this:
http://www.davidjguyton.com/cover72.jpg

The publisher ended up darkening the colors a LOT, so a lot of detail is lost.
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #33
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
David: I just helped you out by getting your book. The tactics of a dying industry are always more of a convulsion than a strategy. They see something that they don't really undrstand and they react by trying to use their remaining power to make it go away.

All they are doing, though, is making everyone expect that book prices should be lower than they can afford. Then, there will be a time where no one can produce books because of their shennanigans, followed by a time of true independence in book publishing.

Unfortunately, that will be followed by a time of someone figuring out a business plan to make authors slaves to big business again.

Last edited by pshrynk; 03-20-2009 at 10:50 AM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #34
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by David J. Guyton View Post
Get to work on that novel!
Hey, thanks for the encouragement.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #35
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
David: I just helped you out by getting your book. The tactics of a dying industry are always more of a convulsion than a strategy. They see something that they don't really undrstand and they react by trying to use their remaining power to make it go away.

All they are doing, though, is making everyone expect that book prices should be lower than they can afford. Then, there will be a time where no one can produce books because of their shennanigans, followed by a time of true independence in book publishing.

Unfortunately, that will be followed by a time of someone figuring out a business plan to make authors slaves to big business again.
Pshrynk,
I totally agree. And thank you for picking up my book...I hope you enjoy it. Hopefully I can slip in and become popular just as Independent Publishing becomes mainstream.
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #36
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Well, you'll have to keep on writing, then, because this transition may be taking place over the course of five to ten years. While that may seem slow, it is at a vastly accelerated pace from past transitions in the history of writing. But then, the fun part is having written, anyway, no?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #37
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Well, you'll have to keep on writing, then, because this transition may be taking place over the course of five to ten years. While that may seem slow, it is at a vastly accelerated pace from past transitions in the history of writing. But then, the fun part is having written, anyway, no?
Pshrynk,

Yes that is the fun part. That and having people write to me telling me how much they enjoyed reading it.

I do plan to keep writing. I am aiming for quite a long series...like 5-7 books. After that, who knows.

Everyone,

I got an email response from amazon. I assume another one will follow:

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your feedback concerning the sales ranking system. I’ve forwarded it along to the appropriate parties.

Thanks for using Amazon DTP, I’m glad that it’s been working out for you thus far; congratulations on the book sales, as well.

Not much info, but at least they read it. Will keep you all posted. Also, Author Kevis Hendrickson said he discovered 1800 free or penny books on Kindle before he stopped counting. I am not sure of that number, but I believe him.

Last edited by David J. Guyton; 03-20-2009 at 02:35 PM.