Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #106
trtek
trtek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
hmm.. you can use the python screensaver thingy that Niluje made then.

Its in the README.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
Ofcourse, I use it, but I wanted to know, if it will work also after upgrade to fw 5.3.2 . Thanks
trtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #107
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trtek View Post
Ofcourse, I use it, but I wanted to know, if it will work also after upgrade to fw 5.3.2 . Thanks
Hmm.. Does thinking...

Yeah I would guess so.

But I am often wrong. and not in a position to test right now.

You would have to ask Niluje (if you can find him)

Perhaps someone else has already done it.

I dont see why not... But.. yeah.. not tested
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #108
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Yeah I would guess so.

But I am often wrong. and not in a position to test right now.

I dont see why not... But.. yeah.. not tested
I am afraid my post is a bit
You are admitting making mistakes? NO, can't believe this. If it wasn't for mistakes and accidents, we'd never find out anything somebody else has not already found out before.

Don't worry, (not in a romantic way, so don't bite my head off )

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #109
briant1234
Enthusiast
briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Just popping in to say, I left my Jailbreak and Font Hack in place while I did a manual update. The update ran fine, and the Font Hack is still working. All is good!

Love seeing ixtab's avatar icon in cover view for the Font Hack.
YAY! one problem solved now i just need gui launcher/jbpatch D
briant1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #110
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I'd appreciate if someone can post some screenshots from Home screen, pdf/mobi viewer, etc. before deciding to upgrade my baby.

Well, I found this, but more would be merrier!

Off-topic: Also, wasn't Whispersync for Voice there even before 5.3.2? I don't think it's a new feature, is it?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 01-15-2013 at 03:25 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #111
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
I'd appreciate if someone can post some screenshots from Home screen, pdf/mobi viewer, etc. before deciding to upgrade my baby.

Well, I found this, but more would be merrier!

Off-topic: Also, wasn't Whispersync for Voice there even before 5.3.2? I don't think it's a new feature, is it?
yeah, it's just like the paperwhite interface now, but without the light controls and extra fonts.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #112
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
The PDF viewer has almost perfect live scrolling. That would be pretty hard to show in a screenshot. The page actually follows your finger.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #113
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
My personal experience.
On my 5.2.1 firmware there where
  • jailbreak 1.2.N
  • simple_usbnet_1.1
  • libfreetype 6.8.1
  • launcher_1.2.2
    • reading timer
    • skipstone browser
  • kindlet-jailbreak-20120509
  • jbpatch_2.4.0
  • simple screensaver 1.0

The 5.3.2 update did not apply.

I first unloaded reading timer (to restore the filesystem) and then the launcher. No luck.
Then I uninstalled the simple screensaver. No luck.
Then uninstalled libfreetype. No luck.
Then uninstalled jbpatch.

At this point I could upgrade to 5.3.2. Well: IMHO the new interface sucks. Buttons, toolbars and menu bars looked much better before. Maybe I just need to get used to them. On the other hand it seems snappier.

So I could upgrade with jailbreak, kindlet jailbreak and usbnet installed.

The USE_ALT_FONT file was still in place and I could use all my additional fonts immediately but - for example - Linux Libertine was garbled. I installed again libfreetype wich seems to work well.

Then I installed the new JBPatch - which by itself doubles the pleasure of reading and is a conditio sine qua non before upgrading - and it works smoothly.

The Simple Screensaver also works.

Last edited by pirl8; 01-16-2013 at 11:42 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #114
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
So, apart from some JBPatch patches (and thanks to Ixtab, we already have the most important ones) all we need to port to 5.3.2 is the GUI launcher...
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #115
oliwausb
oliwausb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 touch
failing updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
No worries. It simply fails with error 006 if modifications are present.
I had that error showing as well but after resetting it told me update successful..however still showing my old 5.1.0 firmware no matter how often I atempt the update... I also installed the latest jailbreak update (1,7N) still I am not able to install 5.3.2. Anybody have a suggestion for me. I am so frustrated I am just about to us my touch as a kitchen cutting board
oliwausb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #116
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Follow the full debrick procedure to install a clean 5.1.2 image, then upgrade to 5.3.2. See the "simple debricking" thread for instructions.

Alternatively, and definitely easier (but not sure if working): upgrade to 5.1.2 first, then try to upgrade to 5.3.2. Remove all hacks except the jailbreak itself.

Last edited by ixtab; 01-16-2013 at 01:13 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #117
altea
altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.altea can eat soup with a fork.

Kindle Touch 5.3.2

Hi guys,

I am new here. Although I have some experience with linux, and can follow (at least a bit ) what you are talking about, I am certainly not an expert as you are, and I have a simple question for you:

- As I understand, you have already had jailbreak on you Kindle and now is a issue with the new firmware.

- However, I have just bought a new Kindle Touch, have made an upgrade to 5.3.2 (and would like to keep it) and would like to jailbreak it JUST to set text-to-speech additionally to German and Spanish.

- I have found a nice page by ixtab for dummies (thank you so much!),
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175512
where everything is explained for dummies
(oh, now I see that ixtab has changed it that it actually works for 5.3.2. version !! , thanks a lot)

OK, then my question is even simpler,

- if I follow the instructions, and put
- jailbreak
- Kindlet jailbeak
- certificates
in the root directory of my kindle and update.

- then I download jbpach-3.1.1_fw532.zip
( I do not need ixtab - jbpacher -d..., right ?)
and put it too in the root directory and update.

- I download just TTS files for German and Spanish voices from
http://ge.tt/9XeUvcC

- then I put them in TTS folder in my Kindle, but how about the already existing English files, I would like to keep them and to have in addition German and Spanish voices (no mixing) ?
So how exactly I should put my filess in TTS folder?

And, in addition, will I get automatically some additional nice features which you mention (hyphenation, margins) without installing something more?

Sorry for the long question (as you can see I am a girl, and you know... )

Please, help ! Thanks a lot.

-
altea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #118
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@altea:

OK, step by step:

1. You seem to have installed the 5.3.2 firmware without having jailbroken the device before upgrading. By doing this, you have essentially locked yourself out, so you can't easily install the jailbreak now.

You will need to get acquainted with MfGTool (or imx_usb_loader, if on Linux - frankly, that one is easier than the Windows driver hell) and fastboot to install the jailbreak.

You will need to get into fastboot mode using imx_usb_loader, then install the ssh-enabled diags (kernel and partition) using fastboot, then boot into diags. From there, you have two choices:
a) (preferred, easier, and faster) copy pubdevkey01.pem into /etc/uks/ on the main partition
b) overwrite the main partition and kernel with pristine 5.1.2 images, then reboot into main, install the jailbreak, then upgrade again to 5.3.2.

2. Once you're there (and only then), you can install the requirements for JBPatch. You have to install them one by one, using Settings > Update Your Kindle.

3. The TTS patch has NOT been ported to FW 5.3.2 yet, so you won't be able to turn on TTS for non-english books at the moment. You can either downgrade to 5.1.2, where the patch is working (see above), or wait for the patch to be ported.

HTH

PS: See the "simple debricking" thread for the abovementioned tools, and for instructions.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #119
ciarpame
ciarpame began at the beginning.

I just found out today about this new firmware update AND all the Kindle hacking possibilities.

Luckily I did not yet updated my 5.1.2 firmware before hacking it and my most wanted features (hyphenation, margins and multiple dictionaries lookup) are already available for 5.3.2.

I read a lot of posts in various thread, please could you confirm that this is the best way to proceed?

* Jailbreak using data.stgz method shown here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...king#Jailbreak (I will also enable USB network but I cannot make a backup since I have a Windows machine and not a linux one as requested)

* install kindlet jailbreak

* if I get an error opening kindlet ui (how?) I will install dev certificates.

* now I can install firmware 5.3.2

* jbpatch installation (finally)

Am I missing or misunderstanding something?

I also would like to install custom fonts but with this method (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=387) I suppose can do it even after firmware upgrade (BTW, where I can find updated Caecilia K4 fonts and paperwhite fonts?)

Thanks for you help
ciarpame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #120
ixtab
(offline)

@ciarpame: Yes, pretty much that. But it's easier to follow this order:
- jailbreak using data.tar.gz
- install 5.3.2 update
- install kindlet jailbreak, dev keys, and JBPatch (these can really be installed in any order you want, but you need all 3 before you can use the JBPatch UI).