Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Files have wrong time on the k3. Hours in advance.

A separate thread on syncing caused me to recall this issue that I've noticed.

I have the wifi k3. I have noticed on occasion that when I make a backup of files on it, the copied files on the computer will be about 4 or 5 hours AHEAD of the actual time and even the date will be off if that time difference moves to the next day. The time on the k3 shows correctly when I've checked. I am not sure what could cause the issue.

For instance the time here is now approx 7:30am, March 3 and the k3 shows the time correctly.

I just checked - overnight Calibre sent the following periodicals:

Directory of I:\documents

03/03/2011 03:30 PM 740,813 Washington Post azw-asin_2b92d1bff7c820ca4baa7e770b358331128e6c93-0-azw-type_PDOC-v_0.azw

03/03/2011 03:30 PM 403,388 San Francisco Chronicle azw-asin_bad582b78ed50ee50d892ea6caa1f8f0385051e3-0-azw-type_PDOC-v_0.azw

Both are timed at 3:30pm March 3. So they seem to be about 8 hours ahead. Maybe this is like that TV show where the guy got tomorrow's news today!!!!

So, somewhere/somehow, the kindle is recording the wrong time for somestuff. Is K3 using Prime Meridian???

The I:\ drive is my kindle directly - it is not files from a backup. Those are two examples. There are other files similarly dated. I got no new books at this juncture so I don't know if they are different. Can't blame Calibre for the TIMESTAMP in the k3's file directory.

PS - just to add some interesting data to the mix. To create the FileListing above, I used a command line dir > holdings, directly on my computer where I was in the I:\documents folder. The file created "holdings" has the correct time. So that the at the time it was created, the pc was "in charge" of directory/file writes. When files are "shipped" to the kindle (not connected to the pc), the k3 is in charge of file data.

Last edited by FF2; 03-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be clear... are you saying that sometimes, the system timestamp on the files shows up as absolutely correct? Or has it always been wrong when you checked?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just as you were replying I looked for the last book I was reading before connecting the usb.

Heidegger's Glasses. The MBP file created (is that the sync file) has the time way ahead at: 3:31PM today, Mar 3, and I can assure you that the pacific northWET is still only 8am.

So, I guess that, at least, my k3, is living in a different timezone than its owner, me.

As I mentioned, in the sync thread. I had noticed this in the past but never looked at it that carefully. I don't know if it is always ahead or just sometimes. The k3 does show the correct time when I press Menu. (yes, at times, it has had the wrong time and I correct it manually).

I will disconnect usb and do a sync (I don't read on other devices so sync is not an issue I really worry about.)

How I noticed this in the first place was doing some backups of the k3 and I had noticed that some files were showing times ahead of real time or even dates, if I did this later in the evening. I reflected on it briefly but since the files were being backed up and I had copies, I did not really worry about the issue.

Last edited by FF2; 03-03-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard

Oh, to answer the question asked - I really don't know if the timestamps are always wrong when the k3 is doing things on its own. I have noticed it on some occasions but did not start to "study" it until the sync thread. So it may have always been quirky but un-noticed.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
alison87
alison87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I noticed a similar problem and discussed it here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57826 amongst other places. It seems to be an Amazon Whispernet bug of some sort; I contacted customer service and didn't get much of a response, but somehow it seems to have fixed itself on my Kindle in recent weeks. Odd.
alison87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard

Actually, the problem may be a bit different. It is not the Calibre files or their "internal" dates that are wrong (actually, they might be that is not exactly the issue). The files when looked at using Explorer have the wrong dates. They appear to have been created or placed into the Kindle 8 hours ahead. I have to presume that the kindle as it writes the files into the folders is using the wrong time. It is certainly not using the CLOCK that it displays when I'm reading a book and press MENU. The kindle obviously has two timers or clocks. One for its internal working and stamping files as they are created or modified (the MBP which obviously keeps track of where I am in a book) is stamped with the wrong time - about 8 hours ahead of the display clock and the time where I live.

It just so happened that I had just woken the k3 up and so that files shipped by Calibre arrived and wound up with the wrong dates, too.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
Quasii
Quasii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Does it happen when you send the files via usb? or just when you email them? I had a similar problem with newsfeeds that I was emailing. If I used USB they had the right date, if emailed they were yesterdays date.
Quasii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
As I understand it, the firmware in Kindle is based on unix/linux. The system clock in all unix/linux computers is set to GMT/CUT and the clock display is based on the time zone relative to GMT/CUT. The Kindle may be time stamping files based on the system clock time, not the displayed clock time. If you are on the pacific NW, you are at GMT -8 time zone.

The reason to set the system clock in all unix/linux systems to GMT is to allow easy, accurate comparison of data located in different parts of the world. Small differences in time can make a big difference in some types of financial and legal transactions.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
FF2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
As I understand it, the firmware in Kindle is based on unix/linux. The system clock in all unix/linux computers is set to GMT/CUT and the clock display is based on the time zone relative to GMT/CUT. The Kindle may be time stamping files based on the system clock time, not the displayed clock time. If you are on the pacific NW, you are at GMT -8 time zone.

The reason to set the system clock in all unix/linux systems to GMT is to allow easy, accurate comparison of data located in different parts of the world. Small differences in time can make a big difference in some types of financial and legal transactions.
That explanation probably appeases me!

I certainly wouldn't want my One-click to upset the financial world too much by having the wrong time stamp!