Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
wmaurer
Enthusiast
wmaurer doesn't litterwmaurer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HTC Desire
Post-install problem

Hi, I searched but couldn't find a solution to my problem; apologies if it has already been addressed.

When running the post-install, I get the following error:

Code:
Trying to setup udev rules...
 * Restarting Hardware abstraction layer hald                                                           [ OK ] 
Setting up bash completion... failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/linux.py", line 175, in setup_completion
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/gui2/lrf_renderer/main.py", line 18, in <module>
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/gui2/library.py", line 8, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name QStyledItemDelegate
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/calibre_postinstall", line 8, in <module>
    load_entry_point('calibre==0.4.126', 'console_scripts', 'calibre_postinstall')()
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/linux.py", line 452, in post_install
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/linux.py", line 323, in setup_completion
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'manifest' referenced before assignment
I'm running Ubuntu EEE; uname -a outputs:
Code:
Linux wma-laptop 2.6.24-21-eeepc #1 SMP Thu Aug 7 22:18:05 MDT 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
Any help in fixing this problem will be greatly appreciated; this looks like an awesome project.

Cheers
-Wayne
wmaurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
wmaurer
Enthusiast

*ping*

Does anybody have any ideas please?

Since this post, I've tried to fix the problem by installing QtGui using CPAN. However that doesn't install because I get an error saying "can not found Qt4 headers" (sic). I then installed libqt4-dev, but that hasn't fixed either problem.

Any help or pointers appreciated.
-Wayne
Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
your versions of qt4 and pyqt4 are out of date. Use the calibre binary installer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
wmaurer
Enthusiast

Ok, many thanks, the binary installer worked fine. It looks like a great application; appreciation has been sent by paypal.

The only problem I have at the moment is that Calibre, especially the LRF Viewer, doesn't display so well on the small screen (800x480) of my Asus EEE. Could you please consider looking into this sometime?

Cheers
Wayne
Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Set the output format to EPUB and use the builtin EPUB viewer.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
wmaurer
Enthusiast

Thanks.

Many of the dialogs are too large for the 800x480 screen too ...
Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Making them fit those small sizes would need a complete redesign, too much work I'm afraid.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Making them fit those small sizes would need a complete redesign, too much work I'm afraid.
How about just allowing them to be sizable and remembering their size. If the controls don't flow/size the window/dialog could just add scroll bars.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Adding scrollbars is an option, but it would still be a good deal of work. Open a ticket and someday in the dreamed of future when my TODO stack winds down sufficiently, I'll get to it.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Adding scrollbars is an option, but it would still be a good deal of work. Open a ticket and someday in the dreamed of future when my TODO stack winds down sufficiently, I'll get to it.
Hmm... guess I am a bit spoiled from Visual FoxPro development I used to do. This would just be two properties on each form. 1) Border Type=resizable 2) Enable scroll bars=true Then a bit of code in the base form class to save/restore sizes.

Sigh,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... guess I am a bit spoiled from Visual FoxPro development I used to do. This would just be two properties on each form. 1) Border Type=resizable 2) Enable scroll bars=true Then a bit of code in the base form class to save/restore sizes.

Sigh,
BOb
It may actually be just as easy with Qt, I just dont know how.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
wmaurer
Enthusiast

I understand that reflowing would be difficult, so I'd be happy enough with scrollbars. Right now I have to hit Alt-F7 and move the dialogs around using the keyboard arrow buttons to be able to view the bottom of the dialog, and having to do so makes use of the application pretty slow.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
FrancisT
FrancisT is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook, Toshiba NB100
I have the same problem

Running Xubuntu 8.04.

What version of Qt4 is required for calibre? as whatever version it is clearly isn't in Ubuntu 7.x or 8.04.

Francis

(Edit: The binary download worked fine - but I'm still confused as to why the reported Qt error occurs)

Last edited by FrancisT; 01-19-2009 at 09:02 AM.
FrancisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

>= 4.4.2
Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
wmaurer
Enthusiast

Quote:
It may actually be just as easy with Qt, I just dont know how.
Just a quick message to say thanks. I downloaded the latest version today (I'm often offline as I'm travelling), and I see the dialogs have scrollbars on my small Asus EEE screen. Much appreciated.