Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #886
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
That is Without Remorse by Tom Clancy talking about John Clark's history and how he came to work for the CIA. It is chronologically the first in the Jack Ryan series (although Jack Ryan only has a cameo) but was the 6th published I believe.

It looks like Goodreads has split the books into a John Clark series and a Jack Ryan series although I would have them as a single large series if I were to do it since they are all tied together.

The link for the Jack Ryan series shows the order of all the books including the Jack Ryan Jr books if you select more details in the description.

Last edited by Dazrin; 10-14-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Added comment about the whole series order.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #887
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FBReader
Dang your good!!!! Thanks a lot. I looked right past all the Clancy's as the titles didn't catch me and the series I added just said "JackRyan [1]". I doubt I ever would have found it. Thanks a lot for your help.
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #888
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
You are looking for Without Remorse by Tom Clancy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #889
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Eight years ago I read an old book (maybe written in the 50's) (in paper) of which I can't remember author nor title, but believe the latter contained the word "witch".

The main character is a very strong-willed English woman, living alone with a little boy, in Afghanistan, or India or maybe Pakistan, in an isolated place near a small village and there was a stream running nearby. I only remember some loose details: on one occasion she fell ill and nearly died; her son disappeared after going to play in the stream and she feared he might have drowned but was later found alive; she had some conflict with the natives over the things they supplied. There was one Englishman in love with her and willing to "rescue" her from her independent way of living and in a moment of weakness she almost accepted his proposals...

It was a very good story that I would like to read again. Any clues?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #890
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I'm trying to find the name of a fantasy book/trilogy. It's indie published, epic fantasy/steampunk (it's one of those genre blenders), with covers that feature a central character on a blue background, is about an inquisitor and has inquisitor in the title (I think). I think the trilogy title also has inquisitor it it. Hope this is enough.

Last edited by Waylander; 11-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #891
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I'm trying to find the name of a fantasy book/trilogy. It's indie published, epic fantasy/steampunk (it's one of those genre blenders), with covers that feature a central character on a blue background, and has inquisitor in the title. I think the trilogy title also has inquisitor it it. Hope this is enough.
I don't know about the steampunk bit and the series title is Witch & Wolf so... not this?

When Allison is asked to play Cinderella-turned-Fianceé at a Halloween ball, the last thing she expected was to be accused of murder. She has to find the killer or she'll be put to death for the crimes she didn't commit. To make matters worse, the victims are all werewolves.

On the short list of potential victims, Allison has to act fast, or the killer will have one more body to add to his little black book of corpses.

There's only one problem: One of the deaths has struck too close to home, and Allison's desire for self-preservation may transform into a quest for vengeance...
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #892
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, that's not it. The main character, at least in the first book, is a man. I seem to rmember that the covers looked similar to Mark Charan Newton's first Book of the New Sun, if that helps.

Last edited by Waylander; 11-03-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #893
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's an Inquisitors Apprentice series by Chris Moriarty. It's YA, though (and I don't think she qualifies as an "Indie" author).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #894
Waylander
Fanatic

The main character is an inquisitor in a fantasy setting, sort of similar to Gene Wolfe's torturer if that makes sense.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:45 AM   #895
Waylander
Fanatic

Right, I've found it. The series is The Ties That Bind, and it's by Rob J Hayes. I thought the name sounded familiar. The books have different covers, so I didn't recognise them at first. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #896
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Right, I've found it. The series is The Ties That Bind, and it's by Rob J Hayes. I thought the name sounded familiar. The books have different covers, so I didn't recognise them at first. Thanks for the suggestions.
So neither the series name nor the titles of any of the books in it have the word "Inquisitor" in them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #897
Waylander
Fanatic

Nope, my bad for not being clear enough. The main character is an inquisitor. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #898
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I am looking for a fantasy novel that was based on Harold Hardrada, the last great viking king who was killed at Stamford Bridge. I thought the it was Poul Anderson's Last Viking series, but it's not.

The novel has a fair degree of fantasy trappings. In the novel, Harold has two older brothers who are fey born and have cloven feet. The novel was written some time prior to the 80's which is when I remember reading it. Does anyone have any ideas what book this could be?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #899
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Was it The Last of the Vikings by Henry Treece?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...of-the-vikings
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #900
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, I don't think so. That appears to be a straight historical novel. Thanks for the suggestion.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths