Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Smile My husband has converted to the "Glow" side!!

I have really bad eyesight so an ereader is a must for me because I am able to enlarge the text, making it a pleasure once again to read. I was very happy with my 1st Gen Nook, but it was a "brick".

I'll admit I am not up to date as far as technology goes, which explains why, when they started advertising the Nook Glowlight, I was a little surprised to find out that there was the NST

My husband has been resistant to ereaders because he really enjoys the "feel" of a real book (as did I), and hated the weight of my 1st Gen Nook.

I had originally put my name of several B&N stores lists for the Glow, so when I got mine I cancelled all the others (I thought). Then about a week after I got mine, a store called to tell me it was in. With a little prodding, I talked my husband into going down and buying it.

My arguments? Our library is open very odd days/hours making it hard to get to. The late fees went up, again. My husband has a voracious reading habit, usually having 2 or 3 books going at once, and no room on the night stand. He is always falling asleep while reading, losing his place consistently. It will be 10pm at night (or other time when we can't get to the library) when he realizes he's out of books.

I am happy to say that my husband has been brought over the to "Glow" side! He has enjoyed using our states digital library at all hours, and loves having his place saved on each of the 3 books he has going right now. He also likes being able to take "all" his books with him in such a small, portable way.

We are both very happy with our Glow and are enjoying reading more again!
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Thanks for your testimony.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
Having been an e-reader for over 6 years with the Sony branded e-readers and having recently upgraded I too can testify to the perfection of the Nook Glowlight. It is, I would venture, the finest evolution of the e-reader by any manufacturer since the E-ink technology was introduced .

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Titania
Titania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Touch
I just got my GlowLight last Thursday for my birthday. I also have a Kindle Touch but hated having to use a clip-on book light. So, although I was lusting after the nook, I couldn't justify buying it for myself. It was a really nice surprise gift.

I've been using it regularly since Thursday and absolutely LOVE it. I haven't noticed any issue with the crispness of the text -- in fact, the contrast of the screen seems better than my Kindle. When reading at night and in bed with all the lights off, I find that setting the GlowLight at the lowest possible setting I can (probably around 10%) is more than enough light to read comfortably. What's more, I haven't found that use of the light affects the battery life at all!

My only issue is that I'm having some difficulty downloading library books to it. I suppose I've been spoiled by the ease with which Kindle wirelessly downloads library ebooks. No worries, though. I'm sure I'll get tit to work eventually and since I'm luck enough to have both devices, I can go back and forth between them depending on what I'm reading.

Cheers!
Titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
Having been an e-reader for over 6 years with the Sony branded e-readers and having recently upgraded I too can testify to the perfection of the Nook Glowlight. It is, I would venture, the finest evolution of the e-reader by any manufacturer since the E-ink technology was introduced .

Hughdal
Hughdal, I have been using Sony's since early 08 and, were I to get a Nook Glowlight, would I be able to read the Sony books I've purchased on the Nook?

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hughdal, I have been using Sony's since early 08 and, were I to get a Nook Glowlight, would I be able to read the Sony books I've purchased on the Nook?

Thanks
Yes! The only thing that will be difficult on the Nook are PDFs. All other ePub ebooks on the Sony work beautifully well!
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
Yes! The only thing that will be difficult on the Nook are PDFs. All other ePub ebooks on the Sony work beautifully well!
Thanks. Also, I assume I can read non DRMed eBooks like the ones on Patricia Clark Library as well as Overdrive books from the library.

I like the T1 but am impressed with the Glowlight as well as the longer battery life on the Nook.

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You even can read DRM protected books from other sources. All you have to do is open ADE and authorize the nook, and all your protected books will be readable as well
Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Susaz is correct I can confirm after transferring my Sony books over. By the way ADE stands for Adobe Digital Editions and should be on you PC/Mac somewhere. I had forgot I even had the app. Enjoy the upgrade, you won't regret it.

Hughdal
Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
To the OP, I just love happy endings! *dancing*
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
Hughdal
Connoisseur

Opps - Problems with my Glow light! Battery life has plumeted. I've gone from weeks without a charge to having to charge after 2 days of moderate reading. It would appear I have a dud battery, groan. Being the impulse buyer I am, it was buy, open, dispose of everything paper wise (including receipt) and start reading. I suppose I have no hope when I go into B&N for a replacement. Any tech people reading this post: Would turning off the wi-fi reduce the battery drain? Why oh why did the Glow let me down.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Turning off WiFi definitely has a positive effect on battery life!
It has happened to me a couple of times that devices suddenly have gone crazy and completely drained the battery in no time at all with for obvious reason. My guess (and that's all it is!) is I may have inadvertently left some process running on it. Turned it off, recharged and restarted and voila, all is well again...
So if this battery drain was a one-off you may not need to get to nervous. If it has been for several charges, then probably more reason for concern.
Did you buy your Nook in a physical store? Bring your Nook and you just may be lucky! Sometimes they help you even when they don't have to!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Hughdal
Connoisseur

Thanks Asawi. Fully charged now, Wi-Fi off, see how I get on.
I did buy it at a physical B&N store but I am now 5000 miles away from said store.

Hughdal
Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
Titania
Titania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of lightTitania is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Touch
Did you buy it with a credit card? If you can ID the purchase on your CC statement, it may be a good substitute for the receipt. Good luck!
Titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
susaz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
Thanks Asawi. Fully charged now, Wi-Fi off, see how I get on.
I did buy it at a physical B&N store but I am now 5000 miles away from said store.

Hughdal
I´m even farther than you (Buenos Aires, Argentina)... Don´t worry about receipt, the day you registered B&N has you covered... Try draining until it asks you to recharge, do it a couple of times before making any desitions...