Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Kindle Gifting -- Will You or Won't You?

I'm curious to know if people are actually using Amazon's new gifting feature for Kindle books. It seems like most of the people I'll be buying gifts for aren't big e-readers, and so I'd have to hope that a book arriving in their email would act sort of like a gateway drug and get them hooked on e-reading. And then there are the rest of my friends who are all 1-clicking fiends, leaving me no time to get them a book we're excited about before they already have it.

Will you be doing a lot of ebook gifting? Who are you sending ebooks to? Anybody else feeling like me, that it's a great feature but will get used rarely?

Happy Holidays everyone!
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I put specific books on my Christmas list this year with instructions on how to send the book to me. I like the idea of getting a specific book for a gift. I also read that you can trade in a gifted e-book for a gift certificate if you don't want that book.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
it was asked for so frequently that I have to assume that it will be used fairly often. but yes, I have a feeling my son is a 1 clicking fiend and it would be silly for me to try to get him any book in particular. a gift card would be best in that situation
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I just asked for an Amazon gift card so I buy my own books. I tend to change reading topics a lot this works better for me if I decide to choose a different book for what I originally wanted.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I only know one other person besides myself that has a Kindle, or any other type of eReader, for that matter, so unfortunately the Amazon eBook gift giving feature won't get much use from me at this time.

Anyone that wants to try out the feature and gift me with an eBook is more than welcome to do so, however.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
I only know one other person besides myself that has a Kindle, or any other type of eReader, for that matter, so unfortunately the Amazon eBook gift giving feature won't get much use from me at this time.
Same here. I'd use it if I knew anyone at all who used rereaders.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post

Anyone that wants to try out the feature and gift me with an eBook is more than welcome to do so, however.

Holly
Haha, that's a very generous offer! What kind of books do you like?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
E-book gifting -- it's what *I* requested for Christmas!!!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Mom, brother and niece all have Kindles, plus 4 of my friends. They've all been asked to update their Amazon wish lists. I'll definitely be using the Give as a Gift feature. In fact, I'm looking forward to it. (And I hope I get some of the books on my list, too.)
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
All the people that I know that have Kindles are on my account (8) so there is no need to gift anything
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
E-book gifting -- it's what *I* requested for Christmas!!!
Somehow I'm not surprised that Santa decided to deliver this one a little before the 25th. I hope you're playing with your new toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
All the people that I know that have Kindles are on my account (8) so there is no need to gift anything
Wow, I thought you were limited to five. That's some pretty impressive sharing you have going on there!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can have as many people as you want on one account. Most books are limited to 6 devices at a time.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #13
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
There are only two people who I would actually buy something for that own Kindles - my sister and one of my daughters. I wanted to surprise them both with eBooks but neither has any on their Amazon wishlists.

I, on the other hand, made sure my wishlist is up to date.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I plan to buy an Amazon gift certificate for Christmas for the one other family member with a Kindle. Although I definitely plan to use the book gift option in the future. I think it is a fantastic idea. On the other hand, I do plan to gift for Christmas a specific book through Kobo for someone who has an EPUB ereader.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
Haha, that's a very generous offer! What kind of books do you like?
Science Fiction is one of my favorite genres....

Anyway, I have always loved getting books for Xmas, birthdays and just for the heck of it, and have always loved giving books, as well. Being able to give and receive eBooks is a wonderful feature - and it eliminates the hassle and cost of shipping the books, too - so I certainly hope I will be able to use this in the future.

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 12-07-2010 at 11:51 AM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote