Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #31
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Heads up for you non-Kindle owners.

Hugh Howey now has the Wool Omnibus available at the B&N Nook bookstore.

http://www.hughhowey.com/?p=2260
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #32
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Have just finished Part 6 and what an incredible read. I can not recommend this series highly enough.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #33
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Film options ? It would make an amazing film.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/20th...nd-film-rites/
Old 05-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Ooh let's fantasy cast it!

Juliette: Mia Wasikowska? Too young? Rooney Mara? Too iconic as Salander?

Let's hear it!

eP

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #35
Stormchild
Evangelist

It has now been picked up by a major. This weekend was full of Wool news. It is really great to see a genuinely good author get some success.

http://www.hughhowey.com/?p=2362

Sorry eP, I am useless at that game. I don't know enough actors to do it. :-)
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm ecstatic for Hugh if this is what he wants... but I'd be lying if I said I was ecstatic about a successful independent author/publisher getting sucked up into the collective.

Still... wishing all the best for Wool and Wool's author moving forward. Very deserving of success.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #37
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm ecstatic for Hugh if this is what he wants... but I'd be lying if I said I was ecstatic about a successful independent author/publisher getting sucked up into the collective.

Still... wishing all the best for Wool and Wool's author moving forward. Very deserving of success.
He only signed away the UK, Australia and NZ rights to Random House. He is still independent at home (US). The 5 way auction results were much better than any deal domestically.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #38
Stormchild
Evangelist

Quote:

I fully understand and sympathise with your thinking but it appears from his Facebook page that he is very happy about it. Reading some of the detail, Random House WANT him to remain close and accessible to his readers, it actually appeals to them that he is an indie author.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #39
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Yeah, like the others said, the cool thing about this deal is that it's just like any other foreign rights deal. They get to publish my work overseas, but it doesn't change anything about what I've been doing here. The best of both worlds, really.

We've agreed to terms in Taiwan, Brazil, China, Spain, and Poland so far. There is interest in a handful of other countries. None of those deals changed what I'm doing here, and neither will the UK deal. In fact, they are stoked about how I went about publishing my books and are looking to emulate it.

Sorry to chime in like this, btw. A friend sent me a link to the thread, and I have a hard time not participating!

Cheers,
Hugh
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I hope it all works out for him you... I really do. It certainly sounds like he's you're thrilled with the venture. I love the stories... and I'll buy them from whoever is selling them. I truly didn't mean to sound all "doom and gloom" about it, and I'm glad to see he's you're remaining independent on at least one side of the big pond.

It's just that the idea that you can achieve high levels of success without traditional publishing tends to get its nose bloodied a bit when high-levels of independent success seems to inevitably lead to the signing of a traditional publishing contract. *shrug*

But it does sound like Mr. Howey you might get to experience the best of both worlds for the time being. I wish him you all the best.

**Edited in lieu of the author's contribution. And welcome to the forum... you have lots of fans here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-14-2012 at 04:56 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #41
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
I've never seen such unanimous high praise on Amazon - I've just bought the omnibus and book 6, and added them to my overflowing to read list.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #42
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
Yeah, like the others said, the cool thing about this deal is that it's just like any other foreign rights deal. They get to publish my work overseas, but it doesn't change anything about what I've been doing here. The best of both worlds, really.

We've agreed to terms in Taiwan, Brazil, China, Spain, and Poland so far. There is interest in a handful of other countries. None of those deals changed what I'm doing here, and neither will the UK deal. In fact, they are stoked about how I went about publishing my books and are looking to emulate it.

Sorry to chime in like this, btw. A friend sent me a link to the thread, and I have a hard time not participating!

Cheers,
Hugh
Welcome to MobileRead Hugh.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #43
Stormchild
Evangelist

Good to see you here Hugh, I wondered how long before you followed the link.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #44
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It's just that the idea that you can achieve high levels of success without traditional publishing tends to get its nose bloodied a bit when high-levels of independent success seems to inevitably lead to the signing of a traditional publishing contract. *shrug*
I 100% agree! I've actually been terrified of the decision ever coming up. Because I don't want to make it. I would be giving up a LOT.

For instance. Right now, I can see what my hourly, daily, weekly, monthly sales are. With a big publisher, I would have no idea. I can't imagine giving up that ability to see what is working and what isn't.

I told my agent that a domestic publisher would have to offer me multiples of millions in order for me to even come to the table. I hope that keeps the question from even coming up. In our last round of submissions, the offers were in the low hundreds of thousands. We didn't even listen too hard to those offers.

I will say this: I think almost everyone has a price. I wouldn't be giving up my right to create the stories I want. Someone would just own this series. And then I'll release my silly zombie book like I plan to and let the publisher run wild with one world I came up with. I can invent a thousand others.

If I do go with a domestic publisher, believe me, I'll be sad about it. I'll be heartbroken. There will be no joy when my pen scratches my name. None. Believe that.

(Oh, and thanks for the welcome, everyone! (Hey, Stormchild) I'll try not to intrude too much.)
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #45
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Welcome, Hugh!

(I have read through book 4, and I'll be reading the 5th by the end of the month.)

I do think it's interesting that you have a--I'm not sure if I want to call it a "strategy" or a "writing style"--that is only possible in the age of ebooks. Do you think that is true? You can release something that's too long to be a short story and too short to be a novel. (Stephen King wrote an essay many years ago about how he loves short stories, but he loses money on them.) Would a domestic publisher shoe-horn you into a more traditional-length work?

And I have to ask. Who would YOU like to see in the movie version?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote