Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Overdrive Library Books

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an iPad. I currently ePub books from the overdrive library. I download these using Adobe Digital Editions on my laptop. Does the iPad support this at all?

Thanks
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
None of the reader apps do yet. Kobo has mentioned they are looking into it for a future release.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Not officially, but there is a workaround if you're comfortable with DRM removal and Calibre.

If you disinfect the ePubs, you can sideload them into readMe or Stanza via Calibre's Content Server. readMe has an iPad version, Stanza is upsized for iPad.

readMe is a paid app, but for the $1.99 I paid for my iPhone version, I have been pleased. And I'm happy to support a developer since Amazon has killed Stanza's future.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Actually if you strip the DRM you can load .epub files right into iBooks too. Just Drag and Drop into iTunes. Stanza on the iPad is just a ugly dithered mess. readMe is ok, but I found it a pain to upload a few hundred files into. I emailed the developers 2 weeks ago, heard "we'll get back to you shortly" and that was it. I noticed some other quirks with it and ditched it.

As far as I'm concerned the market is still open for the "best" ePub app on the iPad and I'd gladly spend a few bucks for a decent app that is at least on par with what Stanza could do.

Last edited by scottjl; 05-07-2010 at 03:37 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote