Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Cannot view PDF calibre 2.0

How do I view PDF books in Calibre?
I just added five PDF books to Calibre, when I click on View or double-click on the number (far left column), the hour glass spins, goes away but the view window does not open, e.g. the book never opens.

If I allow Calibre to convert the PDF to an ePub I can then view the book but (as known) converting a PDF to ePub is not advisable because the resulting formatting is really messed up.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
How do I view PDF books in Calibre?
I just added five PDF books to Calibre, when I click on View or double-click on the number (far left column), the hour glass spins, goes away but the view window does not open, e.g. the book never opens.

If I allow Calibre to convert the PDF to an ePub I can then view the book but (as known) converting a PDF to ePub is not advisable because the resulting formatting is really messed up.
You want to check under Preferences->Interface->Behaviour that you do not have the internal viewer set for PDF files so that your system PDF viewer is used for such books.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make sure you have some PDF reading program installed, like adobe acrobat reader. calibre will simply open PDF files in whatever program is installed for them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:43 AM   #4
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the FB. For reasons I don't currently understand Acrobat had encountered a DDE error and behind numerous windows I had open Acrobat had displayed the error (several times). Via Task Manager I ended every thing related to Acrobat. Now it works, e.g. Calibre allows Acrobat to open the PDF. Well actually Acrobat is now correctly working with Calibre.
Again thanks for the FB.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote