Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Carlj
Carlj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How Calibre's Email-to-Device Works and Why Does Amazon.com know about it?

After I set up my "to" email address to my Kindle and my "from" address to my existing address I used Calibre to upload some CNN daily newspapers to my device. It worked perfectly in both the 3G and USB configuration. Presumably if you don't have your device hooked up by USB then Calibre automatically sends thru Whispernet.

Here's what's strange: AMAZON actually charged my account for the three uploads, two of which were via USB through what I consider a third party (Calibre) and one was wireless, again sent by third party. AMAZON won't answer my question as to why they KNOW what was uploaded and when to my Kindle2.

What, does the K2 send out some kind of distress signal to AMAZON? Has anyone else had this happen? It's just a few bucks over time but can add up. They also knew I'd uploaded a book, again thru Calibre, and they credited me for that and didn't explain the Big Brother thing either. Maybe someone can clue me in

Thanks!
Carlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
They probably didn't know.

I realized the last time when I added my email address to calibre, it started auto sending it to my @kindle.com account every time it updated with new updates. What I think could have happened is that, instead of sending the one copy that you thought you had sent, calibre automatically sent the rest of them too. and Amazon just deducted money from you for the sending mail service. Surely, they didn't charge you for the subscription price. Just for the mailing of the 3 papers that got auto-calibre delivered.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 AM   #3
iphitus
iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2i
Calibre probably emailed them instead of using USB, even though it was connected on USB.

Check how you have Calibre setup - maybe it's using email as the preferred mechanism. Amazon know about the email, because it goes through them (kindle.com) not 'direct' to your kindle - your kindle isn't an email server.

Last edited by iphitus; 08-04-2010 at 04:21 AM.
iphitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
One more reason to stick with the Jetbook instead of a Kindle.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
What he said!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Ah I think you actually sent three copies via email. The email delivery will auto send specified content via email as and when it is ready. To send to the Kindle/Ereader through USB you click the "save to disk" (or maybe it will auto sync when plugged in). Calibre does not associate between an email address and a device and send to the device in preference over email if plugged in.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Huh? The person had Calibre configured (inadvertently, it appears) to send the documents to the Kindle. The charge for this service is not hidden by Amazon. The service is not required to place the content on the Kindle.

I'm not seeing this as an advantage for the Jetbook, which is a fine device in its own right.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Carlj
Carlj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
OIC

Thanks, I was clueless
Carlj is offline   Reply With Quote