Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by filerand View Post
(This particular cable is 3.3v, so I don't know whether it would work at 1.8v, though my experience has been that it works at various voltages.)
You'll kill the Kindle serial port if you wired it to a 3.3V adapter. Amazon may have made it 3.3V tolerant but until somebody examines the PCB to see if they added this ability I wouldn't risk it!
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
markatlnk
markatlnk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Measuring the connector, I find the two contacts labeled 0V and 1.8V are located about 6.5mm from the edge of the case. The RX and TX connectors are a bit further back at about 10.2mm.

I was unable to trace down parts on PC board, didn't want to take the machine that far apart yet.

Mark
markatlnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
uBoot supports dumping, right?

Could someone dump the contents of the rootfs, modify the password, and re-flash it? If that won't work, I know that initramfs can be extracted through uBoot. Maybe modify that to change the password?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #19
blkhawk
Bit Wrangler
blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Oasis
Ok, guys since it is now possible to actually do interesting stuff I will just build the adapter as a purely mechanical design - pair it with a Sparkfun level converter (Sparkfun Shop Link).
Its not like i could beat that 1.95 USD price point anyway. I will post the board design and do a few PCBs + do the postcard thing if there is any interest.

UPDATE: the sparkfun level converter seems not to work with the kindle - my bus pirate + short cable worked tho

Last edited by blkhawk; 09-06-2010 at 03:33 PM.
blkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #20
blkhawk
Bit Wrangler
blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Cool

hah - the damn socket has a notch - the plug has to look like this to make the lines engage properly. See Attachment.

I bet the sparkfun level shifter will work now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	57813  
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
If anyone is looking for a cheap USB to serial adapter that will work down to 1.8V, the standard cheap models like these should work fine with the VCC_325 pin on 1.8V instead of 3.3V, the guy on the link set his to 5V for his purposes.
I have a few of these lying around some of which I got for <£3 on ebay.
I just need to put something together for the kindle adapter now .
G
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #22
Dibblah
Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged_uk View Post
If anyone is looking for a cheap USB to serial adapter that will work down to 1.8V, the standard cheap models like these should work fine with the VCC_325 pin on 1.8V instead of 3.3V, the guy on the link set his to 5V for his purposes.
I have a few of these lying around some of which I got for <£3 on ebay.
I just need to put something together for the kindle adapter now .
G
Well, they would do if they used a real chip. Most don't - They use a pin-compatible clone. Which only does 3.3v logic or above. Which is a shame. But given the easy exploit in the ~exec command, I really don't think many people will go this route

Cheers,

Allan.
Dibblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #23
Ged_uk
Enthusiast

Well I guess I'm lucky with the ones I've got, and its cheaper than a bus pirate.

Easy exploit where is the fun in that
Plus I'm getting no joy getting it working with my UK K3 3G.
G
Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #24
Ged_uk
Enthusiast

Another cheap bodge job hint a old PCI card connector cut down and thinned down works very well.
Choose a bit with long tracks and solder points coming off the connector for ease of soldering, cut out with your choice of tools.
It should then be quite easy to thin it down by slicing a few layers off to fit.

I checked the fit with the case off as the track spacing is a bit on the close side to ensure it didn't bridge.
Alternatively you could cut the tracks down a bit with a knife to widen the gap.
I know it's not pretty but its functional, I don't have the facility to etch myself a proper one
Hopefully get a chance to solder it together tonight.
G

Gave it a quick try no response, needs more tweaking, just need to find time.

update - Had another chance to have a play and got it working, it just tuches without the notch but would be better with the notch as blkhawk states. I slimmed down two of the tracks to make sure it didn't bridge too.
All fairly useless now with the update hack but least it works if it ever gets disabled by an update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connector.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	57881  

Last edited by Ged_uk; 09-19-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
dinkus
dinkus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Can someone who has a working adapter measure the size of the required notch?

Has anyone filed down the edge of a PCI card (like shown above) and had it work? Soldering isn't my forte, so this seems like an easy way to hack a connector.

thanks.
dinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #26
blkhawk
Bit Wrangler

The Adapter will only work properly if you take the notch into account. Also the PCI cards pins are a tad too big. I will be posting the mask for my adapter so people can easily etch their own adapter.