Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
TimNeo
TimNeo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Where to buy ebooks in the UK?

Where can I legally buy ebooks in the UK? I'm mainly interested in files without DRM and I'm an avid scifi fan....
TimNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hi, TimNeo:

I see this is your fourth post, and that you'll be getting your Sony for Christmas.

To "sort of" answer your question, you don't need to buy ebooks ONLY from the UK. For example, you can use Fictionwsie to buy MultiFormat books for your Sony. In most cases, however, these are not the newer, blockbuster titles currently in release - those titles are DRM'd - but you CAN enjoy many fine, older titles as well as newer books by fledgling writers.

Also, please keep in mind that MobileRead also has quite a large selection of Sci-Fi titles (all free, of course) that you can dowload.

Harry (one of the Moderators here), can specifically answer your questions about Sci-Fi in the UK.

HAVE FUN!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
You should definitely check out Baen webscriptions - as well as Baen books, they have a large number of Night Shade titles, some Subterranean - and also Ereads which have quite a few SF books, too. All DRM free and great prices.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi TimNeo

Come check us out at www.directebooks.com. All of our eBooks are available worldwide, and we have some handy how-to guides as well.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
TimNeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Ebooks View Post
Hi TimNeo

Come check us out at www.directebooks.com. All of our eBooks are available worldwide, and we have some handy how-to guides as well.
Hi - can't search your catalog, I get:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver][mysqld-5.0.85-community-nt]You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND (ebook_author REGEXP '[[:<:]]hamilton[[:>:]]')) AND (ebook_format = 'MD' OR ' at line 1

/ssi/tools_prod_listing_ebooks.asp, line 686
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
TimNeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hi, TimNeo:

To "sort of" answer your question, you don't need to buy ebooks ONLY from the UK. For example, you can use Fictionwsie to buy MultiFormat books for your Sony. In most cases, however, these are not the newer, blockbuster titles currently in release - those titles are DRM'd - but you CAN enjoy many fine, older titles as well as newer books by fledgling writers.

Don
Thanks Don, quite a few of the series I'm reading are "cutting edge" of the publishing dates and I accept I'll probably have to get DRM'd copies if I want to read them on the ereader!

It's a shame they're as much as a book, I like real books, but the point of the ereader is to cut down on the weight I'm lugging about.

Currently I'm awaiting the release of the latest Peter Hamilon book and similarly The Lost Fleet: Victorious by Jack Campbell. Whether I'd get them on ebook is another matter...
Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNeo View Post
Where can I legally buy ebooks in the UK? I'm mainly interested in files without DRM and I'm an avid scifi fan....
Check out my post on my site on that very subject here - Where to obtain eBooks for your Reader but Baen/Webscriptions should probably be your first stop! :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi Tim.

Sorry about that- Havent seen that error before. What page was it on?

Thanks

Gareth
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
TimNeo

It was on the search, but seems to be working now. Just an odd blip I suppose!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
TimNeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Check out my post on my site on that very subject here - Where to obtain eBooks for your Reader but Baen/Webscriptions should probably be your first stop! :-)
Very helpful - thanks!

Not sure how a Peter Hamilton book that's been out a year which I paid the princely sum of £7.99 in paperback for is still selling as an ebook at £12.50 though!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNeo View Post
Very helpful - thanks!

Not sure how a Peter Hamilton book that's been out a year which I paid the princely sum of £7.99 in paperback for is still selling as an ebook at £12.50 though!
Yes, that is a problem with e-book prices, they are often higher than the paperbook price

It pays to compare prices with a site such as inkmesh.com, but unfortunately many e-book sellers have been implementing geographical restrictions which play against us Europeans, so our options are limited.

You could also try cyberread.com, their prices are not too high and they have no geographical restriction (for the moment anyway).
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840

Hi Tim, have you tried WH Smith's ebooks section? They have most of Hamilton's books at £6.60. (I've used their site a little, but the search engine is dreadful!)

I also use Books on Board's UK site - they're just about the best at the moment, I reckon. (see this.... Night's Dawn Trilogy for £5.63 !!)

As others have said, Baen is fantastic - especially if you try the 'Free Library' button at the top of the homepage.....SF for FREE!!

Last edited by dickon25; 12-17-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: URL removed
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 AM   #13
trout
Enthusiast
trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Ebooks View Post
Hi TimNeo

See my https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65859
trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 AM   #14
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
there is a couple of librarys you can download from in the uk /ireland
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Tim - Pan Macmillan, the publishers of Peter Hamilton, Neal Asher and others, sell ebooks directly from their UK website without DRM (www.panmacmillan.com). They have DRM when you get them from other places, but not when you buy direct. They come in Epub format, I think, but without the DRM you should be able to format-shift using Calibre. They're a little pricier than if you buy them elsewhere, granted, but that's often the case with the physical books as well when you order them direct from the publisher.

BTW - I had that same message from directebooks at least one time myself, as I recall. I use a Mac Ibook running OSX 10.4, with Firefox.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote