Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Compere
Compere began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Phone 7, Trekstor Pyrus
display missing books in a series

Hello. Is there a way, where i can find out what books from a series are missing? Please assume, that i have some series in my librarie. Maybe there is one series from book 1 to book 22. the books 3, 17 and 21 are missing. In a other series the books 2 and 5 are missed. Now i want a way (via search or plugin) to display exactly the numbers of this missing books and the name of the series. Can anyone help with this task?

Background is: I have massimportet around 5000 entrys in my database and manualy retagged and corrected them in the last days. It was a horrible job. Now i found out, that some books in the series are missing, but i havent the time to check them all manualy.
Compere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo_b View Post
Hello. Is there a way, where i can find out what books from a series are missing? Please assume, that i have some series in my librarie. Maybe there is one series from book 1 to book 22. the books 3, 17 and 21 are missing. In a other series the books 2 and 5 are missed. Now i want a way (via search or plugin) to display exactly the numbers of this missing books and the name of the series. Can anyone help with this task?

Background is: I have massimportet around 5000 entrys in my database and manualy retagged and corrected them in the last days. It was a horrible job. Now i found out, that some books in the series are missing, but i havent the time to check them all manualy.
@Bilbo_b
IMHO This post belongs in the Plug_in (section) request Thread

Neat PI idea
Should it work only on Integer items?
Or does it need 'smarts' to decide what to do if fractional series are encountered
ex: 3.5 is a short story that fits between 3 and 4, but is not a regular occurrence.
6.78 (my convention) is a Omnibus of the former: 6, 7, and 8

Then there is the series in a series that some use.. these are 2 different series (names) with their own index points.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Compere

Hmmm maybe a moderator can move this thread to the right location? but back to the plugin.

for my personal use, i need this plugin only for integers. yes, i have some series with 2.1 or 2.3 series. but these are only 1 series. but the plugin should take care about custom series fields. in my series there are some books with a series in the series. i have made a custom series field for this task, but there are also only integers there. if there is a missing number in such a subseries, the plugin should list this book (number) also.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice
Moved to the Plugins section
Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Thumbs up Neat idea

Just added this to my watch list
Like your thinking.
Let's see if any plugin programmers bite.
In my mind this would fit nicely within the quality Check Plugin.

Cheers, Per
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
You can take a look at the quality tread.

I did mention this option there.
Kiwidude had some substantiated reasons why not to implement this function.
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If you don't want to trawl through all the pages trying to find the discussion, the posts can be found starting here from drMerry with my responses immediately afterwards. To summarise the main issues were:
  1. Would not show where there are books missing at the end of a series
  2. Handling various numbering schemes
  3. Presenting the results
Of those issues above, the first cannot be helped - the onus is on the person managing the library to "find" that there are new books for a series manually using external sources.

The second issue can be worked around by putting in place a limitation that the check would only handle missing integer values. Won't please everyone's requirements such as those listed by drMerry for magazines etc, but will help out others like the OP.

The third issue is presenting the results. How can you display usefully to the user information about the books that they have missing in a series? Obviously I could write messages to the log file, and leave it to the user to copy to the clipboard for displaying somewhere while they work through them. From a search perspective, what else should it do? Should it display all the books in those series that are missing books? Or something else?

As I mentioned in post #123 this specific feature was one I was willing to revisit at some point for inclusion - provided people can agree that it is useful enough and how best to display the "results".
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
1) One way to deal with the missing books at the end, is for the report to print the last book of the series. So it would report books 3, 5, 9, 10 missing with the last book as number 22, titled "XXXXXX." Makes is easy to check a bibliography for the actual end.

2) To start, just support integer numbering.

3) A stepped report. Left Justified - Author, series name, last Book (number and title), the order should be customizable. Indented under that is each missing number. I don't thing the forum will allow, but I will try:

David Hagberg - Series Kirk McGarvey - Last # 14 "The Cabal
........ Missing - 1, 3, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13

or

David Hagberg - Series Kirk McGarvey - Last # 14 "The Cabal
etc

Just thoughts
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Using Pinecone's criteria.
How about a simple message box like we get for errors and the button to copy to clipboard

Series: "Greatest series ever Sold" Index check increment used: 1

First found: 1 (3 occurrences) The occurrences message happens if multiple of the lowest index # are found
Missing: 4,6,9,23
Last found: 25 (2 occurrences) The occurrences message happens if multiple of the highest index # are found

OK ..... Copy to Clipboard
Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've added a simplified implementation into the latest Quality Check v1.6.1 here. Any issues/problems please report on that thread.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #11
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Thank You !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I've added a simplified implementation into the latest Quality Check v1.6.1 here. Any issues/problems please report on that thread.
Will check it out right away.
Thank you !
Cheers, Per
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
Compere

Wow thats great! i love it. thats what i want! Many thanks