Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Gio
Gio began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Nook
Can't format Cybook

Hello there!

It's my first post here, but I've been a "lurker" for a very long time... ;-)

Anyway, I think I read every single post in the "troubleshooting" section and even tho part of my problem it's been discussed already (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46629), my actual problem is a bit different and I haven't found a solution yet.

Basically, after installing the new firmware I got the "checkered screen of death", but being a reader of this forum, I knew what to do: I formatted my cybook and then copy/pasted the system folder I had previously saved (just the system folder, not the others).

After that, everything seemed to work perfectly, I was able to use the folder view (yay, finally!) and everything seemed to work fine. [Important note: I have 99% of my books on the SD card and just a bunch of books on the internal memory so I didn't notice anything wrong right away].

BUT, after re-opening the cybook the day after, none of the settings I fixed (folder view, font size, etc) were still present, I re-sat the whole thing, then switched off the cybook and after re-opening... same problem, no settings saved.

So, I plugged the cybook on my PC to check the system folder and I saw that the other folders (Fonts, Music, eBooks, etc) weren't there, when I tried to copy/paste them into the cybook it wouldn't let me, it said something like "impossible to create or copy folder, disk is protected from writing" (I'm roughly translating from Italian).

When I tried to re-format the disk again, it said I couldn't do it because it's protected.

Any idea how I could fix it?

Other things I did:

- Re-installed the new firmware several times
- run the chkdsk on the cybook, everything looks fine
- Tried to run the cybook without the SD card (everything looks fine, except the cybook results empty, obviously)
- Checked out the bookmark feature (it works fine, it's just the general settings that don't stick!)

My cybook is 200 MHz
Version 6.0 (build 70)

Gio
Gio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
You should contact bookeen. I don't think that people here can help you on such a problem.. (looks like an hardware problem)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
You should contact bookeen. I don't think that people here can help you on such a problem.. (looks like an hardware problem)
*cries*

I was afraid of that...
I'll email, but I don't want to send them my cybook (I'm kind of addicted to it and I don't have any other reader).
I'm tempted to just keep my damaged "baby" (even tho it's terribly annoying to change back all the settings every time I switch it on) and buy a new one as soon as I'll have the money, it's been two years already, it's probably time for a new model anyway...*sigh*

Thanks for the reply anyway.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
You should trust Godzil, he has a fair amount of knowledge in these things. Plus, I´m positive that Bookeen can and will help you out on that matter
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
You should trust Godzil, he has a fair amount of knowledge in these things. Plus, I´m positive that Bookeen can and will help you out on that matter
I just emailed Bookeen, hopefully they'll answer before 2011... *grins*

Thanks for the moral support!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Bookeen has a history of ignoring, respectively not acknowledging nor replying to customer emails regarding the firmware update. (But if they were reading here, they have kept track of everything anyway.)
We got positive feedback regarding Bookeen support where there were real problems (like yours seem to be).
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:17 AM   #7
Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
Bookeen has a history of ignoring, respectively not acknowledging nor replying to customer emails regarding the firmware update. (But if they were reading here, they have kept track of everything anyway.)
We got positive feedback regarding Bookeen support where there were real problems (like yours seem to be).

Let's hope!

I'll let you know if/when I'll get a reply...
Old 01-25-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
skaposzczet
skaposzczet began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Booken
You can try to clear internal memory of Your Cybook the way I did. Just downgrade Your device to 796fmt version. This should delete everything from Your Cybook. After that, instal again firmware that You like. If this will work, try to check if everything is ok before You put SD card in the reader.
796fmt firmware is here:
http://bookeen.free.fr/bin/CybookGen...nelb796fmt.zip
skaposzczet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Please note that 796fmt is ONLY for 200Mhz model, NOT for 400Mhz one.

(I know that the Gio have a 200Mhz one, but it's for others, this version is pretty old, and should be avoided as much as possible)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaposzczet View Post
You can try to clear internal memory of Your Cybook the way I did. Just downgrade Your device to 796fmt version. This should delete everything from Your Cybook. After that, instal again firmware that You like. If this will work, try to check if everything is ok before You put SD card in the reader.
796fmt firmware is here:
http://bookeen.free.fr/bin/CybookGen...nelb796fmt.zip
Hi skaposzczet!

I did what you suggested, but it didn't change anything...

Still, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong... I don't have an SD card reader on my PC, so I do all the firmware updates via usb. I usually put the update_kernel file on my SD card (I did the whole downgrade/upgrade thing this way, too), should I try to put it into the cybook internal memory istead (if it'll let me, that is)?

I would be appy to be able to use just the SD card to save the general settings, too... I wonder if there's a way to do it...*ponders*

Thanks for the help anyway!

P.S. not a word from Bookeen yet. :|
Old 02-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
Gio

So, just to keep you updated....

I finally heard from Bookeen support and it looks like I'll have to send them my cybook. *sigh*

That's exactly what I wanted to avoid (I'll go mad without an ebook reader for who-knows-how-long!) and I'm not even sure it's going to be worth it.

I was already contemplating to buy a Nook as soon as they started to fix the firmware bugs and it looks like they did fix all the major ones, so... *is conflicted*

Anyway, I'll let you know if I'll decide to send it.

P.S. Do you by any chance know how much time it usually takes to get back your device after it's fixed?

-Gio
Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
you by any chance know how much time it usually takes to get back your device after it's fixed?
Time needed by the post . 2 / 3 days for postage to italy I would say.
The unkown is how long the fix will need.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-11-2010 at 03:44 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #13
Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
The unkown is how long the fix will need.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see (IF I decide to send it)...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

Device: iPod Touch ipad
Hi I had no success trying to upgrade the firmware upgrade via the memory card method detailed on their web site so I contacted them by email and received an alternative procedure which I'm happy to say worked it is forbidden to copy their email but i'm sure if you contact their support team you will get a prompt reply
kren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlong9 View Post
Hi I had no success trying to upgrade the firmware upgrade via the memory card method detailed on their web site so I contacted them by email and received an alternative procedure which I'm happy to say worked it is forbidden to copy their email but i'm sure if you contact their support team you will get a prompt reply

I had no problem with the firmware update, it works just fine. :-)
My problem is with the internal memory of the cybook and the fact that I can't format it (or add/delete anything to/from it).

Anyway, I did contact the support and they told me it's an hardware problem that can only be solved by sending them the reader. *sigh*
I decided I'll keep my "damaged-but-still-kinda-working" cybook and I'll buy a Nook as soon as I'll have the money, I had a cybook for more than two years, it was probably time for a change anyway... ;-)