Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Whispernet Stopped Working

I've had my K2 for just a few days, but so far everything seems to have been going well. I've got the NYT delivered daily, and I've had no problem sending myself docs via Whispernet at home or at the office. But today for some reason the wireless will not start up. I've tried to force it on but after showing no signal for a few minutes, the wireless turns itself off.

I've tried resetting the unit, to no effect.

I suppose it could be an issue with Sprint or something, but either way I'm a little pissed. The only reason I paid a premium for the Kindle was the wireless. If this is something that happens regularly or the reception isn't good enough in my area (which it should be - I'm in Brooklyn) then I think I'll just have to send this thing back.

Anyone have any ideas?

BTW I just checked the coverage maps for zip 11215, and supposedly I'm well covered for both voice and so-called mobile broadband.

Last edited by weatherman; 03-29-2009 at 09:11 AM.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I'd just wait a day and see if it resolves itself.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Or call Kindle support.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
No point in wasting your time and theirs with a support call if it's a temporary condition that will resolve itself.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
No point in wasting your time and theirs with a support call if it's a temporary condition that will resolve itself.
I wouldn't be able to wait a day to find out if it was temporary. But does that happen often?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I see it differently than you. I don't think he'd be wasting Customer's Support time by calling them. That is what they are there for. Fewer calls, fewer ways to be aware of customer issues, fewer reasons to keep some CS personnel in their jobs.

I would encourage a call or email by anyone who has concerns. If you can find the answer on your own, great but don't feel like you're bothering Amazon if you need or want to talk to them.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
If this is something that happens regularly or the reception isn't good enough in my area (which it should be - I'm in Brooklyn) then I think I'll just have to send this thing back.

Anyone have any ideas?
I've never seen an outage at least when I have wanted to use it. But, stuff does happen. And it is probably a sprint issue and not a Kindle issue. Although I don't think that the wireless should go "off" if you have it on. It should just show "no signal". But, perhaps as a battery saving measure it does swtich off after seeing no signal for a certain amount of time.

There are probably other cells in your area. Take it somewhere and see if that resolves it. Or, perhaps Sprint has some type of status display on it's website.

I think wanting to send it back after a single outage is a bit of an over reaction.

As was mentioned you could call Kindle Customer Service, they may or may not be aware of Sprint outages. But, at least if you report it and they weren't aware of it, they could put in a trouble call to Sprint.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To see if it's your "cell" that's off the air, why not just drive a couple of km up the road and see if it works there?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone.

First, I will probably call customer support. At the very least that way it gets logged as a problem and if it's not just a sprint service issue, they can start tracking it. However bad the customer service is on the phone, every service center at least has a tracking system so that if they get enough calls about something, they'll report it up the line to see fi there's a bug.

But my first line tech support is always the boards, and the reason is this; if it is something simple, these boards are much more likely to give me a quick response. And bringing it to the attention of more people also has an effect of bringing problems into the light. No matter what you call customer support about, they almost always treat you like you're the only person who has ever had this problem.. and it's probably your fault. I haven't actually tried Amazon's customer service so I can't speak from experience, but it doesn't seem like they're different than others from what I've read.

I will take this out and about today to see if that fixes the problem. I'm in Brooklyn and not really inclined to drive a couple of miles just to see if I can fix it, but I'm going out for a walk anyway and I can take my K2, I suppose. Of course, that means that I can't enjoy a nice cup of coffee and read the NYT in my jammies this Sunday morning the way I was hoping to..
Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course, that means that I can't enjoy a nice cup of coffee and read the NYT in my jammies this Sunday morning the way I was hoping to..
Sure you can. Download the paper to your computer then use the USB cable to transfer it to the "documents" folder. Read while wearing jammies. Drink Coffee. Get Dressed. Go for walk. Simple!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Sure you can. Download the paper to your computer then use the USB cable to transfer it to the "documents" folder. Read while wearing jammies. Drink Coffee. Get Dressed. Go for walk. Simple!
Good point - didn't think of that. I haven't done that with the NYT yet, but I give it a crack now.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Although I don't think that the wireless should go "off" if you have it on. It should just show "no signal". But, perhaps as a battery saving measure it does swtich off after seeing no signal for a certain amount of time.
Yes, I think it is a battery saving thing. It actually shows five gray bars first for a few minutes, then shows "OFF" with five little dashes underneath.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
weatherman
Addict

Well, I just got off the phone with tech support and they were actually very nice. We weren't able to fix the device but the guy I spoke with said (of course) that he'd never seen this problem before, but that it was probably a problem with the hardware and fully covered under the warranty, and he's sending out a one-day replacement.

Incidently, daffy4u, it's not possible to download the periodicals to the Kindle via USB - you can only get them via Whispernet. Obviously I can use Calibre, but that's a different version (arguably a better version, actually). But they gave me a few bucks discount because I'm missing a few days of the Times, so that's fine.

And as for that theory that the wireless should shut itself off if it doesn't get a signal - apparently (according the the tech rep) that's not true; the wireless will not turn itself off unless it is very low on battery. So that means if you're planning on being out of range for awhile you should definitely turn the wireless off manually since it drains the battery more to search for a signal than to maintain a signal. Or so I've heard.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:

Incidently, daffy4u, it's not possible to download the periodicals to the Kindle via USB - you can only get them via Whispernet. Obviously I can use Calibre, but that's a different version (arguably a better version, actually). But they gave me a few bucks discount because I'm missing a few days of the Times, so that's fine.
I did it many times while I had my L.A. Times subscription. I would just go to my Media Library and download the issue to my computer and transfer it.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Well glad to hear they are fixing it for you, hope it does the trick!