Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Amazon deposits millions of dollars in Kindle Fire owner's accounts

Amazon.com announced that Amazon Coins went live today with the deposit of $5 worth of coins in the Amazon accounts of every Kindle Fire owner in the US.

Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May. 13, 2013-- —(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced that customers can now use Amazon Coins to purchase apps, games and in-app items in the Amazon Appstore and on Kindle Fire. To celebrate the launch, existing and new Kindle Fire customers in the U.S. have had 500 free Coins—a $5 value—deposited into their Amazon accounts today. For customers, Amazon Coins is an easy way to purchase apps and in-app items on Kindle Fire, and for developers it’s another opportunity to drive traffic, downloads and increased monetization. With discounts of up to 10% for purchasing Coins in bulk, it’s also an opportunity for customers to save money on their app and game purchases. Customers can purchase Coins by visiting amazon.com/coins.
The press release is here:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....564&highlight=
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
are they trying to come up with an alternate currency like bitcoins? I'm not sure what the intent of Amazon coins is.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
They told me I have 500 coins, but I can't find them anywhere. I'd like to let them run through my virtual fingers--maybe take a virtual bath in them, but where are they? Where are my virtual coffers?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
They told me I have 500 coins, but I can't find them anywhere. I'd like to let them run through my virtual fingers--maybe take a virtual bath in them, but where are they? Where are my virtual coffers?
Not only can't I see where I'd see coins, but I saw some posts that say the offer really only applies to new Fire purchases, not to existing owners.

This is confusing.

Also, since I recently decided to let my daughter use my Fire, and so put it under the account I set up for my son'a Fire, am I still considered a Fire owner? Is my daughter?

Weird.

Anythehoo, I have little use for programs like this. I prefer my money kept as money...the kind that's good anywhere and doesn't expire (excepting for the collapse of governments, of course).
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
are they trying to come up with an alternate currency like bitcoins? I'm not sure what the intent of Amazon coins is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I prefer my money kept as money...the kind that's good anywhere and doesn't expire (excepting for the collapse of governments, of course).
Amazon is gearing up for world domination and Amazon Coins will be the new currency
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Not exactly.
It is more like Microsoft points; you buy the Coins in bulk and then spend them on micropayment digital purchases at *their* digital stores only.
It is both a loyalty program and a cost-reduction measure (it'll reduce the credit card charges on those $0.99 or smaller buys. Thus it opens the door to them selling even cheaper digital content.

It opens the door to a Green Stamp-style rewards program, too.
(Spend x-amount on the merchandise stores and get rewarded in Coins to spend on Digital content.)

Edit: Note the bolded statement:
Quote:
“Today we are giving Kindle Fire owners $5 worth of Coins to spend on new apps and games, or to purchase in-app items, such as recipes in iCookbook, song collections in SongPop or mighty falcon bundles in Angry Birds Star Wars. And with discounts of up to 10% when you buy Coins, this is a great way for customers to save money when they buy apps, games and in-app items,” said Mike George, Vice President of Apps and Games at Amazon. “We will continue to add more ways to earn and spend Coins on a wider range of content and activities—today is Day One for Coins.”
That is what has me thinking of Green Stamps and airline Miles.
They want to reward you for shopping with them with incentives to buy some more.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-13-2013 at 01:50 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
For all fire owners, when I went to amazon.com I got this "Dear Customers,

If you own a Kindle Fire, you'll find a little unexpected something in your account right now — 500 Amazon Coins, worth $5. You can use the coins to buy apps and games, as well as items inside apps and games. And if you want to purchase additional coins for yourself or your family, you get to do so at a discount. "

Clicked on the coin and got a page where I could "see terms"

Probably find the coins when you go to buy an app but don't know.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
eumie
Enthusiast
eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 4, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kindle Oasis 2
For those looking for them, when you enter the app store on the Fire, you get a message about your free coins. The amount shows up in the lower right corner of the screen while you're in the app store. When buying an app, you're given the choice of using coins or cash.
eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahhh... now I see them. Thanks!
I had to be actually USING the Fire to see them. I'm a little let down, to tell the truth. I wanted a bit of bling.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Hmmm...maybe the Amazon coins won't work on the original Fire? I looked on mine, and I don't see it.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Hmmm...maybe the Amazon coins won't work on the original Fire? I looked on mine, and I don't see it.

Shari
Me Either. No banana.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Me Either. No banana.
My son's account got an email about receiving the coins, but there is nothing indicating it on our Fires. Ours are all original models.

I'll call support later and find out 'sup.

ApK
Old 05-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Do your original Fires have the latest firmware updates? Just a guess, mind you, but I could easily see older versions of the integrated appstore not displaying/supporting the coins. Or perhaps you just won't encounter them until the point of purchase. But still, if you can purchase coins, I'd imagine there'd be a away to check your balance.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I wonder how it works with in-app purchasing? Would one have to re-enable that, if it was disabled in parental controls, or does it work if there are coins on-account? I briefly looked at that last night, and the app my daughter was using showed things you could buy for real money. We went no further.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Do your original Fires have the latest firmware updates? Just a guess, mind you, but I could easily see older versions of the integrated appstore not displaying/supporting the coins. Or perhaps you just won't encounter them until the point of purchase. But still, if you can purchase coins, I'd imagine there'd be a away to check your balance.
We have the latest of everything that's offered, system and app-wise.
I also checked online in the place where you can see gift card and digital credit balances, and there was nothing new there either.