Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Noise-canceling headphones tested in NYTimes

Looking for a great headphone you can use during a flight? The NYTimes’ David Pogue tested ten different noise-canceling headphones and the winners are, unsurprisingly, the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 (~$300) and Quiet Comfort 3 (~$350). If that's too much for your wallet, you may also want to check out the Panasonic ($100) or the Audio-Technica ($140) headphones which both ranked fairly high.

Link to the test: Headphones to Shut Out the World
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Looking for a great headphone you can use during a flight? The NYTimes’ David Pogue tested ten different noise-canceling headphones and the winners are, unsurprisingly, the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 (~$300) and Quiet Comfort 3 (~$350). If that's too much for your wallet, you may also want to check out the Panasonic ($100) or the Audio-Technica ($140) headphones which both ranked fairly high.

Link to the test: Headphones to Shut Out the World
We went to Florida last month and sat by the engine. I used my Rio Karma with Koss Porta Pro headphones and I sat in my seat reading from my Sony Reader and listening to music. I was completely able to tune out the engine noise.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We went to Florida last month and sat by the engine. I used my Rio Karma with Koss Porta Pro headphones and I sat in my seat reading from my Sony Reader and listening to music. I was completely able to tune out the engine noise.
Rio Karma had excellent features and Koss Porta Pro is a great choice too.

I still use my iRiver iHP-140, with a 60 Gb HDD in it and using Rockbox with a Koss Porta Pro or my Ultrasone HFI-650 depending on the situation.

I love the concept of noise cancelling headphones, but the sound quality wasn't quite as good when I tried one of those. Plus I'm quite lazy, the fact that you need a battery in those headphones is a downside for me
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried some older Bose noise cancelling headphones and was majorly unimpressed. I plan on sometime hitting up a Bose store because I do want to try the new can alond with the inner ear ones they have. Probably won't buy since they are a bit expensive.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Looks like they only reviewed active noise canceling headphones. What about all the passive models, like earbuds from Shure and Etymonic that work passively by creating a good seal with your ear, blocking outside noise. And Bose is overpriced for the sound quality.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I agree... passive headphones are often more effective than active noise cancellers, and are cheaper besides. I use a pair of Shure earphones with foam earpieces that block outside noise. I can ride my bike with them on and barely hear the engine.

I'd recommend passives to everybody to try FIRST, before spending money on actives.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The actives I've tried out over the years seemed to play with my equilibrium unpleasantly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I got a pair of the original Bose headphones some years back and they have been excellent when traveling ever since. Not only do they work on jet noise, they also do a good number on the chatty person in the next seat. (Yes, I really do care about what sort of girl your grandson is dating and no, I do not want to see the pictures of your family reunion, again.)

I have found that the in the ear "earbuds" do not work well for me. I get a headache after a few minutes even at low volume settings.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Hey! I snore so loud they'd have to noise cancel me
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The last Shure I tired where the Ec3 and I hated them with a passion. They sounded horrible. I still don't know how they could be so highly rated. They are not that much better then Apple earbuds.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Honestly, I think it sounds more like marketing than a serious review. Well, maybe I am biased because to me it is more important the opinion of actual users than that of the so-called experts. For example, before buying my Sony Reader, I carefully read several threads of this forum. Similarly, if I were planning to buy good headphones, I would probably visit this forum and ask there: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/index.php
Andanzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Honestly, I think it sounds more like marketing than a serious review. Well, maybe I am biased because to me it is more important the opinion of actual users than that of the so-called experts. For example, before buying my Sony Reader, I carefully read several threads of this forum. Similarly, if I were planning to buy good headphones, I would probably visit this forum and ask there: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/index.php
But remember, the most important opinion is your own.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #13
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
But remember, the most important opinion is your own.
Sure. I agree. You all should ask me and I'll tell you what to buy.
Andanzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:07 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the Bose "Quiet Comfort 2" headphones and they are amazing. Excellent sound and the noise cancellation is little short of miraculous. What's more, they run from an "AAA" battery which seems to last forever - I've been using the same one for months and it shows no sign of dieing yet. If you want a recommendation from a "real" customer, I happily give one.

Not cheap but I guess that, like most things, you get what you pay for!

If I had to make one minor criticism it's that they will ONLY work when "active" - ie with noise cancellation. It would be nice to be able to use them as "conventional" headphones in environments where the noise cancellation wasn't necessary. I have to say, though, even in a home environment it's astonishing the background noise they get rid of that you weren't even aware of - you flip the power switch and the background that you hadn't even been consciously aware of just "fades away" into complete silence.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:32 AM   #15
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I have a set of Philips SBC-HN110 headphones. I've tested the Bose Quiet Comfort 1 (they wrap the ears as opposite tot the QC2). The bose is amazing, good sound and very good NC. However, too expensive, even for me... I bought the Philips for a fraction of teh Bose's prize. (i think 10x cheaper).

They really helped on my flight back home, especially because it wraps around the airs, it's much more comfortable.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote