Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #1
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
E Ink Intros 13.3" Flexible Electronic Paper Display

E Ink is launching a new flexible electronic paper display based on Sony's flexible Thin Film Transistor (TFT) tech.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ele...ble,22556.html

Hooray, I can't wait to buy one of these babies.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
That looks sweet!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This is presumably the display that Sony used in their prototype discussed here.

I'm certainly very pleased to see an eInk display that doesn't have a glass substrate.

The display seems to be 1200x1600 pixels, which at a 13.3" diagonal is 150ppi.

Not too bad for such a large screen. But I hope that in the next couple of years they will be able to improve the pixel density. I suspect that the low pixel density is why they are initially producing a 13.3" screen rather than a 6" or 7" screen.

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-15-2013 at 12:12 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I've always figured that large displays were never produced because they are fragile, and making the case strong enough to protect the display makes the total package too heavy to use. With this technology, not only is the display lighter, but the case can be as well, since it doesn't have to be so rigid. Since the current smaller readers aren't particularly fragile or heavy, I'm not surprized that this tech is being introduced where it's needed most.

I have a 9.7" reader (1200x800), and although the screen is pre-Pearl technology, it's useable for reading typical PDFs when in landscape mode. This new screen is effectively just two of my screens put together (1200x1600), so I think it would be at least as readable in portrait mode as mine is in landscape. If the contrast is closer to that of Pearl displays (like in the Onyx M92), then I'd say that 150dpi is good enough for reading PDFs in portrait mode on such a large screen. I hope that they keep improving the pixel density, but this is a good first step.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
If the contrast is closer to that of Pearl displays (like in the Onyx M92), then I'd say that 150dpi is good enough for reading PDFs in portrait mode on such a large screen.
It should be. It's the same dpi as the M92 or Kindle DX.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
It should be. It's the same dpi as the M92 or Kindle DX.
The M92 resolution is fine but you'll always wish a higher resolution (especially after using the Kobo Aura HD ).
Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I take it that this is a black and while eInk display. I can not think of one reason why I would want a 13inch black and white eInk display. It is too large for books and even newspapers print in colour. Surely they must be working on perfecting colour eInk displays. A large colour eInk would be of interest depending on power consumption and colour quality.
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmac View Post
I take it that this is a black and while eInk display. I can not think of one reason why I would want a 13inch black and white eInk display. It is too large for books and even newspapers print in colour. Surely they must be working on perfecting colour eInk displays. A large colour eInk would be of interest depending on power consumption and colour quality.
There really isn't a way to "perfect" a colour screen using the microcapsule E-Ink technology, in that the saturation/contrast will always be worse than something like an LCD display. It's just the nature of the beast.

As for a reason to have a large grey-scale only device, there are many who have to read letter/A4 sized PDF documents, and E-Ink technology is fine for that. It's true that people who only read novels and magazines wouldn't find it all that useful, but that doesn't make it useless for everyone.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
As for a reason to have a large grey-scale only device, there are many who have to read letter/A4 sized PDF documents, and E-Ink technology is fine for that. It's true that people who only read novels and magazines wouldn't find it all that useful, but that doesn't make it useless for everyone.
I agree some may find it useful, it is just not for me. I still hope it may be a product that is leading to something that may be useful to all.

If colour eInk is not achievable today I hope one day it, or something similar may be. One one the great constants today is technology is always developing and improving. What is not possible today may be tomorrow.
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
I can not think of one reason why I would want a 13inch black and white eInk display.
I spend many an hour reading black and white research papers and taking notes at meetings. I would love one of these as it stands!

YMMV, of course.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I spend many an hour reading black and white research papers and taking notes at meetings. I would love one of these as it stands!

YMMV, of course.
Color would be great but black and white is almost always good enough.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post

YMMV, of course.
Speaking as someone who's been playing D&D and other RPGs since she was 14, a 13" b&w eInk device would be great! Most gaming books are two columns of text, and are pretty much illegible on a smaller screen. Give me the choice of a rolling suitcase of D&D books (I'm not making that up btw) or one 13" eInk....I'll go with the eInk, even if it's a little heavy for a reader. (Lighter than a 2nd Ed Monster Manual would be fine by me)
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
if no one on this thread has seen it, here's a video of the new sony device in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=bvJuLK65dio
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
You get color eink by adding a color filter layer to the B&W display. It isn't an entirely different product.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
TPetrino
TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!TPetrino , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: ipad
Quote:
rem736-if no one on this thread has seen it, here's a video of the new sony device in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=bvJuLK65dio
That is real cool!

Most of the problems with current readers, I find, is that the screens get cracked from accidentally being dropped as is what happened to dd's Kindle 3. This definitely will help lessen this from happening.

I am a fix-it-type person and find the parts don't come cheap so basically when they break, you might as well throw them away and that is really a shame because they really aren't that hard to fix. I refuse to do this with her kindle and maybe will get lucky at some point. At least now she has extra parts, I guess.

We should have reasonably priced parts that we can buy and be able to fix our devices, though.
TPetrino is offline   Reply With Quote