Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
What Do You Read?

I'd love to get a better sense of what people are using their kindles for. It seems like these boards are focusing on very specific issues, and I thought it'd be great to have something extremely broad like this.

I mostly read fiction, but I do a few newspapers as well. Most blogs I'll just check with my laptop. The fiction I read is pretty broad in genre, but I do have a soft spot for fantasy and young adult literature. I'd say kindle has helped broaden my tastes, and I'm finding myself reading a lot I formerly wouldn't have.

How about you? What do you like to read?
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
- Feeds from my favourite blogs / news sources from Kindlefeeder and also Calibre
- Fiction spanning many genres but mostly fantasy and classical fiction
- Emails via gmail
- Holiday details including packing list, itinery, restaurants
- Personal recipe collection and meal planner

I'm finding the Kindle to be very versatile indeed.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
- Feeds from my favourite blogs / news sources from Kindlefeeder and also Calibre
- Fiction spanning many genres but mostly fantasy and classical fiction
- Emails via gmail
- Holiday details including packing list, itinery, restaurants
- Personal recipe collection and meal planner

I'm finding the Kindle to be very versatile indeed.
Oh, recipes! That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that yet. Do you download them from someplace or just upload files of your own?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
My own recipes typed up in open office, converted to HTML and then saved as a mobi file in mobipocket creator. But yes you could copy and paste recipes you want to try from the Internet as well.

I cover my Kindle with a clear plastic bag and prop it up on a bookstand whilst cooking so I can follow the recipe and not get the Kindle covered in flour or dough etc! Instead of having to refer to a multitude of cooking books, the recipes are all in one place - saves loads of time.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
My own recipes typed up in open office, converted to HTML and then saved as a mobi file in mobipocket creator. But yes you could copy and paste recipes you want to try from the Internet as well.

I cover my Kindle with a clear plastic bag and prop it up on a bookstand whilst cooking so I can follow the recipe and not get the Kindle covered in flour or dough etc! Instead of having to refer to a multitude of cooking books, the recipes are all in one place - saves loads of time.
Nice. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
I mostly read fiction as well! What's your favorite fiction writer?
After just finishing The Hunger Games series, it's impossible for me to say anyone but Suzanne Collins, but I also read a lot of indie stuff. How about you?
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Just fiction. I also play the Kindle games quite bit too. Every Word and Shuffled Row are quite addicting!
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Primarily nonfiction and current events/politics. Followed by mystery and history.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I use my Kindle for a Bible in church and in our mens meeting. It has several lesson plans, Bible studies and the like for use in my church work.

I also like to read the old classics. The ones we were forced to read for school but never did. By the way, do they have Cliff Notes on Kindle format?
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgumphress View Post
I also like to read the old classics. The ones we were forced to read for school but never did. By the way, do they have Cliff Notes on Kindle format?
This made me curious so I had to go check. No, I don't think they have cliff notes available. I like reading the classics too though. Don Quixote all the way!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #10
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I just got mine, but I'll be using it for mostly fiction with a bit of nonfiction thrown in. I also get a local newspaper and Wired magazine through Calibre
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote