Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Is it possible to exclude tags/titles in the default view?

By that I mean, whenever you launch Calibre, have titles with certain tags be NOT listed by default instead of having everything listed.

I'm trying to decide about managing all titles in one library versus having a second library. Let's say I have some files that I don't necessarily want people I may share my library with to see. Maybe it's personal files, maybe fanfiction or whatever that I've tagged. Is there a way to have Calibre launch and not show this files by default?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can do it in two clicks using a restriction. Click the restrictions combo box, select the saved search you want to use.

Unfortunately, it isn't currently possible to have a restriction automatically applied at start up.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I have several saved searches around but thought it would be cool to have those applied at start up. Thanks...I may have to play around with a 2nd library then.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
By that I mean, whenever you launch Calibre, have titles with certain tags be NOT listed by default instead of having everything listed.

I'm trying to decide about managing all titles in one library versus having a second library. Let's say I have some files that I don't necessarily want people I may share my library with to see. Maybe it's personal files, maybe fanfiction or whatever that I've tagged. Is there a way to have Calibre launch and not show this files by default?
Set up a virtual library restriction.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Set up a virtual library restriction.
Isn't that what Chaley essentially recommended above? It still won't apply by default at startup, right?
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am adding a tweak that will specify the name of a saved search to apply at calibre startup and when libraries are changed.

In the process, I will fix problems with changing libraries when a restriction is in force (strange behavior of counts and displays). Adding the tweak while fixing these bugs is straightforward. Once I have it all coded (tomorrow), I will submit the change to Kovid for approval.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I will fix problems with changing libraries when a restriction is in force (strange behavior of counts and displays). Adding the tweak while fixing these bugs is straightforward.
Is there any chance that a restriction can be set to apply to the Content Server?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
I am adding a tweak that will specify the name of a saved search to apply at calibre startup and when libraries are changed.

In the process, I will fix problems with changing libraries when a restriction is in force (strange behavior of counts and displays). Adding the tweak while fixing these bugs is straightforward. Once I have it all coded (tomorrow), I will submit the change to Kovid for approval.
Wow, that was fast! Look forward to it!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there any chance that a restriction can be set to apply to the Content Server?
I implemented a new command line argument for the content server.
Code:
calibre-server --restriction=some_saved_search
It does the obvious thing. Bad things happen if the saved search does not exist. The restriction works in all the server flavors: xml, mobile, and opds (stanza).

Restrictions are ignored if running from the GUI.

Code submitted to Kovid.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Wow, that was fast! Look forward to it!
The fixes and tweak code have been submitted to Kovid.

Assuming approval, the tweak is:
Code:
# Specify a restriction to apply when calibre starts or when change library is
# used. Provide the name of a saved search. It is ignored if the saved search
# does not exist in the library being opened. The value '' means no restriction.
restrict_at_startup = ''
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I implemented a new command line argument for the content server.
Assume I've launched the CS (from the command line) with a restriction, and I now want to enter the GUI to add a book, change metadata, etc. What's the correct procedure?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Surprisingly enough, it just works, at least on Win7. I am surprised because I thought that the content server would have the DB open and locked.

My experiment:
0. Calibre and library both on C:. No dropbox or other synchronizer.
1. Start calibre. add 'abook' to a custom column. One book has that value
2. Quit calibre.
3. Start content server with restriction 'abook'. I see one book.
4. Start calibre. No lock errors.
5. Refresh content server page. No lock errors. Still one book.
6. Add 'abook' to a second book in calibre.
7. Refresh content server. Now I see two books.
8. Added a new book with the abook tag. Now I see three books in the content server.
9. Deleted the new book. Now I see two books in the content server.

I assume from the experiment that at least on Win7, SQLite does not set locks, which allows calibre and the content server to share the library. This is safe, because the content server does not change the DB.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Surprisingly enough, it just works
Great! That's what I need.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Great! That's what I need.
The fact that it worked bothered me. I know that calibre caches book data in memory. The cache should prevent the content server from seeing database changes, but it clearly does see them. After some poking around, I found that if the content server is running separately from the GUI, then it checks the modification time of the DB on each web request. If the DB has been changed, the content server refreshes its in-memory caches before processing the request.

Clearly Kovid anticipated running the content server on a DB that can change.

It is nice knowing that something works by design instead of by accident.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I didn't actually anticipate it, someone complained and so I added the check
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote