Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Faster or Slower?

You may have heard about the recent study saying it takes longer to read an e-book than a paper book. (http://mashable.com/2010/07/02/ipad-...reading-study/). I was surprised to hear that because for me, it's just the opposite. I was astonished at much faster I tear through a book on my Kindle. I noticed this as soon as I started using it.

So I was wondering if it's just me, or if anyone else feels this way.

Faster or slower?

Andrew E. Kaufman/Author
www.andrewekaufman.com
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I definitely read faster especially with my DXG (larger screen, fewer page turns).
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
No noticeable difference for me.

Maybe there's a difference between print and digital, but I read fast enough that it doesn't matter.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Definitely faster.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
For me, with text-only books I don't think there's a real speed difference between reading ebooks and physical books (pbooks). This is due to a couple of factors:

- Font size: I format my ebooks with a larger font (14 point) for comfortable reading so my ebooks tend to have many more pages than do my pbooks (most of which seem to have a font size that falls in the range of 10-12 points).

- Screen size: My ereader screen is slightly smaller than the text area of a paperback book resulting in an increase in the number of pages in my ebooks.

To illustrate the above points, I took a copy of the Project Gutenberg edition of "The Adventures Of Pinocchio" that I formatted for my ebook reader. Formatted that way, it had 496 pages. I reformatted it for the size of a standard paperback page with a font size of the main body at 12 points (I didn't reduce the size of the other text, such as chapter headings and so on). That reduced the number of pages to 281 (56 percent of the original ebook), a decrease of 215 pages.

These factors reduce my reading speed with my ereader, mainly because I have to turn pages more often. However, by formatting my ebooks the way I described I find my ebooks much easier to read than my pbooks, so it is worth the tradeoff.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Ebook readers also tend to have shorter lines, and either large blank spaces or ragged margins. Both things are likely to decrease reading speed in a single page.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
I think it's slower, but a lot more. Since I have my reader everywhere with me, I can read in a lot of occasion
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
No idea, I never timed myself reading a book. Besides, not all books read the same. There are books I'll devourer and there are books that require a bit more time because they're more difficult to read. They might even be from the same author!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Faster without a doubt.

No pause while your eyes shift from left page to right.
No repositioning the book to make the light hit it right.

No pause to turn page and reposition back to left page.

Just push the button and keep the words rolling.
Normally I can turn page as reading the last line and then shift to the top and continue on the next page with no wait or delay.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I read faster and I read more....and my wrists are still intact after devouring Vollmann's massive tomes.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Why not add a survey and get a scientific answer?
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
absolutely faster. when I misplaced my Kindle for a day I was reduced to a p-book. the constant fussing with page turns, finding a comfortable way to hold it and so on REALLY distracts from the whole reading process
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I think I'm slightly faster with p-books. I might read a typical printed page faster (longer lines, higher contrast). Page turns are close in speed, my eyes still have to move from the bottom of the e-reader to the top. Surely doesn't bother me since I've read almost exclusively on e-readers for the past couple of years.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Definitely faster. With pb I would sneak peeks at the end of a chapter and end of book . Or I would check further along in the book how a problem got solved.

With the ebook I just keep reading and it saves me a lot of time not to jump all over the book plus it makes it more enjoyable this way.

Also some of the small print pb make them more difficult and slow for me to read. With the ebook I can adjust the font size.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Faster here.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle reading