Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
New PRS-600 doesn't show up on a MacBook Air

So I now have a shiny new PRS-600 (Red), and I should be writing a review of it.

Instead, I have a major problem

Plugging it into my MacBook Air (Snow Leopard) leads to nothing; EBL doesn't launch, there is no "UNTITLED" disc appearing under devices, the charge light doesn't light up on the device itself - nothing.

The PRS-505 behaves perfectly - a charging light appears, the internal and SD card appear under devices, and EBL launches.

The PRS-600 itself shows the USB connected screen. The MBA denies all knowledge of any such interaction.

Anyone got any clues? This thread here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57441

has some similar issues, but the reader is at least recognised.

All suggestions / experiences gratefully received.

Thank you

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...reset button...

Enough said

Review will follow!

amjb
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
gadgetfreak
gadgetfreak began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Hi... Does yours work directly connected to the Macbook Air, or do you need to use an external powered USB hub like I do?
gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
amjbrown
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
Hi... Does yours work directly connected to the Macbook Air, or do you need to use an external powered USB hub like I do?
Since the reset works directly.

Shouldn't need an external hub - the single USB port in an MBA is pretty punchy on the power front - it will power the SuperDrive no problem.

regards
amjb
Old 11-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
gadgetfreak

Strange -- I still need to go through an external powered hub. Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, though, my USB has been odd -- some external memory card readers now act strangely, etc. These used to work fine under 10.5 though! The SuperDrive, digital cameras, iPods, etc do work normally via USB under 10.6, so I'm not inclined to think that the USB port itself is defective.

Did you just do the basic soft reset? Just put a pin into the reset hole and then powered back on?
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
amjbrown
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
Did you just do the basic soft reset? Just put a pin into the reset hole and then powered back on?
Exactly right.

amjb
Old 11-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
gadgetfreak

Hmmmm.... I will have to experiment more. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
amjbrown
Addict

Have you looked in detail at the USB devices in "About this Mac"?

Another think to try would be hook up your USB hub and PRS 600, remove the power cord and see if you get the "device unplugged in a bad way" message.

Odd
Old 11-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
gadgetfreak

My external USB hub is actually an Apple Cinema display -- so not so easy to disconnect the power to without flying blind! :-) I'll try to borrow a powered external hub to experiment.

I have indeed looked up the USB part of System Profiler, and the PRS-600 shows up fine there. In the system log, there are a few lines about messages not being received in time from the USB port or something like that, but I don't really understand what that means.

I've booked a slot next week at the Genius bar at an Apple retail store to see if they can figure it out.

Quick question... are you running 10.6?? I didn't seem to have any of these USB issues when I was running 10.5.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
gadgetfreak

How's this for weird... all the USB devices I'm having trouble with (PRS-600, SD card reader, etc) work fine when connected through an UNPOWERED USB hub! Immediately after trying through the unpowered hub, if I connect the device directly to the Macbook Air, I have problems again. Strange!!!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
amjbrown
Addict

You are having a nightmare! Yes, I am on 10.6.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
gadgetfreak

Indeed! Hopefully the Apple store can help me out. Thanks for the help...