Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
foxbooks
foxbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best way to automatically add a lot of books

Hello,

I'm new to Calibre and I've been trying to add a just under 11.000 books to the library. All these books are in 1 single folder and there are doubles.

I've tried to copy them in groups of 1000 pieces to the automatic add folder, Calibre adds some books but then stops. Leaving it alone for hours or rebooting does not help, not even 1 book gets added.
I've tried it with add books from 1 folder, but after a while Calibre stops working and no book are added to the library folder.

What is the best way to add all these books without adding them one by one?

Thanks!
foxbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbooks View Post
Hello,

I'm new to Calibre and I've been trying to add a just under 11.000 books to the library. All these books are in 1 single folder and there are doubles.

I've tried to copy them in groups of 1000 pieces to the automatic add folder, Calibre adds some books but then stops. Leaving it alone for hours or rebooting does not help, not even 1 book gets added.
I've tried it with add books from 1 folder, but after a while Calibre stops working and no book are added to the library folder.

What is the best way to add all these books without adding them one by one?

Thanks!
That is a lot of books

You can set up an 'Auto-Add' folder.
Then drop 20-40 copies (it deletes from the folder as it adds) into it at at a time.This way some housekeeping (garbage cleanup) gets done.

You might get away with more...
Why risk a crash and lose all work
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is a lot of books

You can set up an 'Auto-Add' folder.
Then drop 20-40 copies (it deletes from the folder as it adds) into it at at a time.This way some housekeeping (garbage cleanup) gets done.

You might get away with more...
Why risk a crash and lose all work
9 out of 10 times calibre crashes or takes so long is with adding pdf files with get metadata from file enabled . If your books are named properly that you can get the metadata from filename. I would recommend disabling read metadata from file option
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
9 out of 10 times calibre crashes or takes so long is with adding pdf files with get metadata from file enabled ...
It appears that updating to 0.8.54 (new as of today, 2012-05-31) resolves this issue

From the release notes:
Bug Fixes
Never crash when reading metadata from PDF files (reading now always happens in a worker process)
Closes tickets: 1006452
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote