Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Avid Fan
Avid Fan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Showing Metadata book descriptions from Calibre?

I’m a new Kindle owner and new ebook reader in general, so be gentle if this is an obvious (and easily answerable) question

I’m still getting to grips with my Kindle, but I had a query with regard to the metadata ‘description’ of the ebooks, which you download into the book metadata using Calibre.

I was trying to find this same information on my Kindle after transferring some books over. However, the only ‘book description’ option I could find just tries to connect to Amazon!?

Doesn’t the data go onto the device when you transfer the books? – if so, where is it?
Avid Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
I believe that the Calibre metadata will only be included in the book after you convert the ebook from mobi to mobi. Otherwise it stays separate in the Calibre database.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't know about the newest models, but on the older ones, you just can't view the metadata description (that's part of the MOBI file) on the Kindle. Period. (but yes, that metadata is being written to the MOBI when you transfer it)

Using the right arrow (joy-pad, dpad) from the home screen will give the option to view the description, but that will take you to the online description on amazon (as you've already found).

Can't get there from here.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
It wasn't a stupid question, I also didn't know, but had never bothered to ask.

My mom would have said I had the stupid question, the unasked one. "The only stupid question is the one not asked."
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
My mom would have said I had the stupid question, the unasked one. "The only stupid question is the one not asked."
Having previously worked as a tech-support rep...I have first-hand experience in being asked VERY stupid questions.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Here is a thread about how to use Calibre to add the Meta data to the beginning of the book: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148490
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote