Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
E-Readers out in the 'real world'

I've been at the beach on vacation for two weeks with people reading everywhere you turn and I have not seen a single person using any type of E-Reader. In fact over the last few years I have only seen two people using E-Readers out in public. If sales are really booming as they say I wonder why you see so few E-Readers out in public?
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
At a guess I'd say most people do there reading at home, in bed, on couch e.c.t
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Well, beaches is not the safest place for electronics: salinity, sand, heat, sweat, etc. But maybe on a more urban environment, it'd be easier to see it.
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I see quite a few out in the world, but maybe that has something to do with living in Seattle, the Land of Amazon (and Microsoft, and Starbucks). I see many people sitting at cafes or walking down the street reading on e-ink devices, mostly Kindles but there are a healthy number of nooks out there. iPads are becoming very common, though, and I wonder if they'll overtake e-ink in terms of public reading visibility. Where I work there are at least 5 of us (in a department of less than 50) who bring e-ink devices to work (two kindles, three nooks).
Several years ago, when I bought my Sony 505 and before the Kindle was released they were a total rarity and I had many people on the train comment on it or ask me about it. Nowadays folks don't even blink when they see me with it.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
I have seen ereaders on the beach in Florida, and airplanes and airports.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have young kids, and I often see parents reading ereaders when at places where you typically wait for young kids.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I keep seeing more and more of them on trains around Sydney.. very rare to go a day without seeing one or more
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
The only place I've seen an e-reader in use that gave me pause was on line for Splash Mountain at Disney World. Considering I ruined my watch by forgetting to take it off I hate to think of the condition of that poor Kindle.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I see Kindles, and rarely an iPad, at the VA hospital pretty regularly. Back in my Kindle 1 days I was the only one with any sort of electronic reader.

Though, I did speak with one of the Doctors recently who told me she won a nook in a medical convention raffle. She was surprised when I told her she could borrow ebooks from the library free of charge.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
I read my Kobo everywhere, even walking the dog. I find it so easy to read compared to a paper back. Don't have to have a book mark or the chance of loosing your place as the ereader remembers where you were. Love it
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Mine goes every where I go.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
cailín-dána
Heavy Reader
cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.cailín-dána is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Elonex 500eb, Kindle, Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage
My ereader is surgically attached to me! It's a 5" device so it fits in a handbag, I can't be without it! BUT...I am the only person I know with a dedicated ereader...I have a friend who uses her iPad, and loves it but that's it...I think it is because they are genuinely not widely available here (Ireland). I'm slowly converting people though - give me time!
cailín-dána is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
goodnerd
goodnerd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
this is an interesting observation.

For me personally i think i only see ipad's never seen an e-reader in the wild ever.
goodnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
Becky Morgan
Becky Morgan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I carry my iPod Touch around and read on it. Since what reading time I have is in bits and pieces and mostly at bedtime, it's much more convenient than hauling the Nook around. I see a lot of people reading on phones but have yet to see anyone with a dedicated e-reader.
Becky Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy68 View Post
I've been at the beach on vacation for two weeks with people reading everywhere you turn and I have not seen a single person using any type of E-Reader. In fact over the last few years I have only seen two people using E-Readers out in public. If sales are really booming as they say I wonder why you see so few E-Readers out in public?

I take the train everyday in the Boston area, nooks and kindles are very plentiful to be seen. Physical books still rule the roost big time, but I've seen ereaders grow at an amazing pace on my commute in and out of Boston.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote