Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
Backing up Collections

Hi,

The 3G on my Kindle as died so Amazon are sending me a repalcement device, does anyone know if it is possible to backup the collections (and what books are in each collection) so that when I get my replacement I can simply copy the collections accross and download my books again (where they should automatically be put in the correct collections)

Thanks,

Gavin,
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
As far as I understood - Amazon save your Collection data when you sync up. So when you get your new Kindle I think it is a case of downloading your ebooks first and then you can restore the collections from another device - being your old kindle. I have never done this myself but I'm sure there must be some info somewhere.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Hi Gavin
Your collections, and the books within it, are stored in \system\collections.json file
So just hook up your K3 with USB and copy to your computer.
IF your books are NON DRM'd you can copy \documents as well.
Otherwise new download/send to new K3.
I'm 99,9999% sure this will work - at least this is my own disaster/recovery strategy.
Haven't tested - have too many books on it.
Hope this helps you out.
Good luck with your replacement.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I had a defect Kindle as well. I don't know what went wrong with it, but I had a lot of books on it. I de-registred my defect Kindle this morning, just before I got the new one, so I don't have any old collections left.

As I don't know what was the matter with my defect Kindle; I'm starting from scratch, also making new collections. I want to be sure I'm not corrupting anything by bringing some things of the backup of my defect Kindle into the replacement I got this morning.

That's just my idea about it.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I have not tested this theory but I have read forum posts that say you should:

1. backup collections.json file from old kindle.
2. backup your books that are not drmed.
3. with the new kindle, download all books and restore the non-drmed books to the documents folder.
4. restore the collections.json file to the new kindle.
5. restart your kindle and the collections should be restored.

Please let us know if the process worked or not.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
What nynaevelan said should work. Make sure that any personal documents are in exactly the same location with exactly the same name including capitalization etc... I'm unsure of what the Amazon backup of your collections does regarding personal document locations. It won't backup the documents themselves but I don't know whether it will backup the personal document collections.

The alternative is to use one of the utilities which help you organise your collection from your computer. It is significantly easier to create/recreate your collections this way than to tap tap tap on the Kindle itself. Kindelabra: Kindle Collection Manager and Kindle Collection Manager for Windows are the two on this forum. I've no idea if there are any others out there.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I'm superstitious perhaps.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote