Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Kindle light

There are a few posts on alternate protector covers for the K3, but little on the light in the $59 version. I see this light draws its power from the K3 battery. Can someone give me an idea of how much charge time is lost when using the light? Is it an LCD or another type of bulb? I haven't pushed my K3 very far between recharges, so I don't know if the 3 weeks claim is valid or not, but I'm sure using the light would significantly reduce the time.

The reason I'm asking is because my wife is a long distance backpacker and wondered if she could use the K3 on the trail after the sun goes down to read before going to sleep. Could she expect 10 days worth of light (or maybe 20 hours?).

That seems to be a lot of money for a leather cover and a flashlight .... but the idea is great.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
It is a LED light and I have not noticed that much battery loss. But I do not use the light a whole lot. It is great when you do need a light to read. The cover is like the basic cover but has better padding and a better feel to it. I am not sorry that I got it. But I can not say how much battery it will use.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I recently took my Mighty Bright MiniFlex LED Book Light on a camping trip. It is a really great light for reading on the Kindle. I often use it at home, plugging into a wall adapter. The problem with built-in lights is that they shine across the screen -- the very adjustable MiniFlex let's you get the perfect, reflection-free angle. And it has 2 levels. At one point, I hung it from the peak of the tent while I prepared for bed. It is easy to pack a couple of extra batteries.

The built-in light seems pretty handy, but I am not sure I'd want it sucking my batteries. What if it rains, and you read all day? I'll be interested in reading what someone with experience has to say about the built-in light.

Last edited by montalex; 10-26-2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know from experience that LED lights, as used by campers, have an extraordinary battery life, and my wife does have a headlight that she could use, I guess. Might be a good substitution to maximize the K3 battery life on an extended hike.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
For backpacking I have a tiny wind-up ledlight. Wind it up for 2 minutes and it gives an hour light. Also has a small solarcell on top of it.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The convenience of having the light part of the protection system seems terrific and that's why I purchased it. Having to deal with another separate light did not appeal to me. I was hoping to get the K3 before my two week car camping trip but it was back-ordered. I used my camping headlamp but for books, not the k3. Some engineering type should be able to measure the draw by the lamp but I've seen no specs on it. It is 3 led bulbs.

I'm not sure if it could have been designed to pop out of the top middle for more even light but it works quite well other than not illuminating the keyboard, at least, that's my impression.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Just for fun I tried the light on my case last night and I must say it is impressive. And the battery drain was less than I would expect.

The casing with the light, to me, was worth the money!
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And here's the link to the windup-ledlight ( I have the Kao).
http://www.rubytec.com/eng/smart-ene...lashlights.php

Last edited by desertblues; 10-26-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
The reason I'm asking is because my wife is a long distance backpacker and wondered if she could use the K3 on the trail after the sun goes down to read before going to sleep. Could she expect 10 days worth of light (or maybe 20 hours?).
Is she more concerned about packing volume or weight? I ask because with the lighted cover, the Kindle is considerably heavier. It's also three times as thick, but given the 'flat box' form factor it's not a big deal to pack.

Many LED book lights (I was very fond of the Belkin Kindle flex light, but I gave it away when I gifted my K2) are lighter than the Amazon cover, but are another thing to be stowed. The Belkin's head clipped into the clip/battery housing, so it was pretty compact, but I know some hikers who are all about shaving cubic inches off their packs...and others who are all about getting rid of every unnecessary ounce.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
mldavis2
Coffee Nut

I think she's more concerned with weight than size.

Thanks, desertblues, for the link. I'll check that out.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I love my K3 lighted cover. I use it intermittantly, but have had my K3 since the first of September and have only had to charge it once. I have no doubt that with the wifi off, you could get at least 20 hours of reading with the light.

I have not weighed it, but I do believe that the cover probably doubles the weight vs without any cover.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
As a hiker I could SHOVE a book into any nook (no pun intended) or cranny but the kindle's screen would need protection from bumps, bruises and other objects in a pack. So some form of cover is probably a necessity on a hike or backpacking trip. At least a shield would be needed to protect the screen. So the cover with light seems like a great compromise. I don't know how much the lighted cover weighs versus say the UNlighted cover. Or some other shutter system. Obviously a headlamp would serve multiple purposes so avoids duplication and headlamps free the hands. Trying to find the potty using the kindle light could be, well, interesting. I would not go for a specific book light for hiking but the multipurpose headlamp unless it was the lighted case - protection and light in one package.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #13
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
And here's the link to the windup-ledlight ( I have the Kao).
http://www.rubytec.com/eng/smart-ene...lashlights.php
Umm, how do you hold that light? You hold it in one hand pointed at your screen while you hold your reader with the other hand?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have the cover with the built in light and it is an excellent investment, it is quite effective illumination. You should be able to get 20 hours with the WiFi and 3G off or intermittently used. For those that complain about the glare I just don't get it. Everyone’s eyes are different so it is possible that some readers are affected more then others. However the glare to me is no more then what one would encounter with ambient lighting or light from the sun. I have seen the YouTube videos as well and what a camera and human eyes will pick up are quite different. The glares on some of the Youtube videos are amplified depending on the type of camera that has been used for the video. The Kindles case’s LED light is angled in such a manner that the glare is minimal The light is intent ally angled outward toward the bracket rather then inward toward the display which is quite effective in limiting the amount of glare. I believe that you will be happy with the case and it's light.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:44 AM   #15
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Umm, how do you hold that light? You hold it in one hand pointed at your screen while you hold your reader with the other hand?
Just lay it down next to the Kindle, or hang it on your zipper; it's bright enough to read by.

Edit: whatever zipper is handiest

Last edited by desertblues; 10-27-2010 at 02:47 AM.