Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Raffke_jr
Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thumbs up New version of morkl's JuneReader

Hi everybody,

I'm still using Sony PRS-T1 unrooted and run morkl's JuneReader.
The only thing I was always missing is the display of Battery percentage and I sometimes argued about the 12h display without am/pm attached.

So finally I was able to patch the APK with the help of morkl (thanks again!) to display a 24h clock and to extend it with the already prepared battery display. Simply set left or right to "battery" in reader.xml!

Everything else is left unchanged. I recently updated my firmware to 1.0.07 (ATTENTION: don't do this and if you did already, find instructions to downgrade), I extracted the 1.07 version to patch it with morkl's additions.

Find the updated version attached, so far it runs smoothly on my 1.0.05 firmware - feedback appreciated!

LATEST VERSION
CHANGELOG
Have fun,
Raffke_jr

Last edited by Raffke_jr; 05-27-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Raffke_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:07 AM   #2
Raffke_jr
Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.Raffke_jr got an A in P-Chem.

Updated to latest stock reader from 1.0.07.
See top post for current version!
Old 05-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for this, but how do i install it? I have my reader on 1.0.05 and i am running into some problems, so i wnat to unroot it, but want to keep the clock on the reader.

edit: nevermind, downloaded teh file and instructions are inside. thanks!

Last edited by gonzule; 05-24-2016 at 04:34 PM.
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Raffke_jr

After unrooting (no idea how - you'll probably install a stock firmware again?), unzip the archive and run "flash_reader.bat" inside "install_noroot" and wait for the process to finish.

The long run: copy the contents of "install_noroot\sdcard" to the readers internal storage (labelled READER) and boot into recovery mode. Either with 'ebook_msc.exe' or by pressing and holding HOME+MENU when powering on. Be sure to hold the keys until the (first) progress bar reaches the right end. This should start the update from internal storage.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
gonzule

Installed it without a hitch, working great, thanks. Just a little question, is there any possibility to update the EbookHome apk so that the HOME screen can show "Recently Read" instead of "Recently Added"?
Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 AM   #6
Raffke_jr

This needs updating another app (EbookHome.apk), but updating it would be possible without rooting, too. This is, what I'm going to do next.

If "recently read" is the only thing you'd like to change, it's an easy step modifying the books.db:
Change homescreen to show "Recently Read" instead of "Recently Added"

Once again back to the reader app. I noticed the following issues or possible enhancements, which of them would you all prefer?

1. Waking from standby does not update clock/battery until next page flip.
Possible solution: register to receive battery/time changes - but I fear, this would drain battery. Maybe it would be sufficient to receive "screen on" messages and only update the values on wakeup.
For me it's sufficient to update the time on next page flip, but sometimes it confuses...
done. :-)

2. I think about adding the preferences (pagesPerRefresh, left&right informationBar) to a menu accessible from the reader. Although they do not change that often, it would be a benefit to set them without connecting the reader to PC... But it would require to write XML files... Don't know if it's worth the effort.

3. Maybe setting the fontsize with a slider instead of (additionally to) 8 presets might be better and would also benefit in being independent from a connected PC.

4. ..... what else?

Last edited by Raffke_jr; 05-30-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What's different between the 1.0.0.5 Reader and the 1.0.0.7 Reader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:50 AM   #8
Raffke_jr

The difference in the stock reader is minimal (only a change in the URL passed to the MediaScannerService), but as it worked for me with the rest of the 1.0.05 firmware, I kept it with the 1.0.07 source.

Changes in the posted version are copied from morkl's JuneReader, extended to display battery percentage.
And a soon coming update will include time/battery display refresh on screen wakeup after standby.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffke_jr View Post
The difference in the stock reader is minimal (only a change in the URL passed to the MediaScannerService), but as it worked for me with the rest of the 1.0.05 firmware, I kept it with the 1.0.07 source.

Changes in the posted version are copied from morkl's JuneReader, extended to display battery percentage.
And a soon coming update will include time/battery display refresh on screen wakeup after standby.
I'll keep an eye out for your newly updated version. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
Raffke_jr

...done: JuneReader_1.0.07_2016-05-27.zip Attachment 148955
Old 05-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
gonzule

Thanks for the new update and features!

If I use the install noroot folder, where do I modify the XML file?
Old 05-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #12
Raffke_jr

Even if you're installing with the noroot folder, don't forget to copy the 'reader' folder to your internal storage. Please try to understand the contents of the XML file, you might not need all settings and/or CSS files. I only use these minimal settings:
Code:
<reader pagesPerRefresh="8">
	<informationBar left="battery" right="clock_hm" />
</reader>
Old 05-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #13
gonzule

thanks! First time i installed it without copying the "reader" folder inside the device, and it worked fine (only have clock at bottom right).

I will try again. I also understood the XML syntax, so all good there!

Thanks for this great mod!

edit: worked perfectly. Copied "reader" folder inside the reader memory, and then used the "noroot" folder to install everything. Now i have battery and clock while reading my books on a non rooted device. Thanks!

Last edited by gonzule; 05-31-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #14
gonzule

Hey, i just realized i have a problem, it might be related to the modified reader app. Some of the books i have use the default font on the reader (i.e., they dont have a font embeddedinto the epub files). The problem is that the default font size is pretty huge. When i shrink it ti the smallest font available on the reader, its still pretty big and uncomfortable to read. Do you think it might be caused by the modified app or not?
Old 06-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #15
gonzule

nevermind, just found out I have to modify the DEFAULT.CSS file and change the font size to 100% and flash again!

Tags
junereader, morkls modified reader