Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 since the 505 first came out and I've never spilled anything on the screen. My feeling is that something that can fall on the screen and scratch it will probably do the same even with a screen protector.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #47
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Okay everyone,
Clint says that he's happy with his Kindle cover (which is a bit smaller than the Kobo one by a few mm as we mentioned before). He is able to get us the covers for US$24.99 MINUS 30 percent - US$17.50. This works out to be around AU$20 (AU$19.80 depending on the currency rate).
Some of you have expressed interest in getting these covers so please PM me if you want them. I'll be PMing those of you who mentioned their interest on here already, just in case you don't check this forum.

Right now, the interested parties are:
BBel
techie42
Bismar
viviena

The final cost will be $20 plus whatever postage it is to ship 'em to you from Adelaide.

Please let me know if you're good for this as I don't want to order a whole bunch of covers from Clint and then have nowhere to send them!

IMPORTANT EDIT:
Clint has just reminded me that the InvisibleShield isn't just a peel-and-stick application. Be aware that it'll take 12-24 hours of not using your Kobo because the stuff actually has to "cure". Here's a demo video with an iPad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3sO5fBD77Y

Last edited by Katdragon; 07-13-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Extra info.
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #48
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Can we have a picture of the protector that is a "few millimetres off? I would like to see it before I even consider it.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #49
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
I posted pictures at ...

http://gallery.me.com/clintbradford#100032

The Invisible Shield is installed using their application fluid. If there were NO "margins," we could not properly install the protector.

If you knew me personally, you'd know that if I were pleased with the "bottom line," then others should be, too (grin).

And you are really not without using your Kobo for 24 hours. Invisible Shield recommends not messing around with cases and touchscreens for up to 24 hours - to let the screen protector "cure" to your surface. COMPLETELY REMOVEABLE, folks. It is not an "adhesive" - but more of a "capillary" action that is taking place.

If you need to know more about Invisible Shields, please investigate them on your own. I do not want to "sell" you on anything. But for me, this is the finest-quality protector available, and their protectors are installed on my cameras, PDAs, GPS units, and my Kobo.

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #50
drgrittani
drgrittani began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
gizmodorks

I thought I'd report on the gizmodorks screen protector. It fit fine, and like any screen protector you need to be careful with dust. But it increased the glare significantly so I took it off. I would like a protector that either reduces or keeps any reflection the same. This did neither.
drgrittani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #51
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
drgrittani, I haven't yet removed the plastic that came on my Kobo's screen from the factory... How would you compare that to the Gizmodorks screen protector?

Also, how is their screen protector applied? Thanks.
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #52
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Okay people, last chance to get your invisibleShield if you want one. Clint's voucher expires at the end of this week so I need PM's from you by Friday.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 AM   #53
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
I watched the video and application seems ok, end finish seems good as well. My only concern is that it involves a lot of liquid to apply, the demo was on an ipad where you could just shoot the water off the side. On the kobo the screen is recessed so there's nowhere to scoot the water to but inside the boy of the machine?
Clint how did you find the application process?
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #54
Katdragon
Connoisseur

BBel - as far as I can see, because the shield is a few mm smaller than the screen we should be able to scooch it out the sides into those spaces. Of course I have no idea how that works in the actual application so I'd like to see a response from Clint too
Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #55
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Please go to Zagg's site for their video on installation ...

http://www.zagg.com/support/installvideo.php#General

In my opinion, the time taken to properly install an Invisible Shield is well worth it. But it is NOT a "remove from the mailing envelope and lay on your Kobo and VIOLA! - you're done!" installation.

>> ... My only concern is that it involves a lot of liquid to apply, the demo was on an ipad where you could just shoot the water off the side ...

Watch the videos. You slowly and methodically apply liquid and absorb it with a towel as you install.

The Invisible Shield is a proven, mature product. As I have stated all over, I use them on my GPS, cameras, phones, PDAs, and both my wife's Kindle2 and my Kobo eReaders.

Clint
Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no need for a screen protector for the Kobo. I've had a reader for a lot longer then the Kobo has existed and I've found no need for one. All you are doing is wasting your money.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #57
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... here is no need for a screen protector for the Kobo ... All you are doing is wasting your money ...

I guess I'd better not post the fact that I also purchased a Square Trade warranty for my Kobo, covering accidental damage for three years ... You'd think I was a loon (grin).

I am happy that you are so careful with your eReaders that you have not ever scratched any of them "for years."

But then there's the rest of the world ... with kids ... briefcases ... accidental drops and scratches ... Ya gotta admit (well, maybe you won't) that accidents do occur. Especially if one carries their electronics outside the home a lot. And scartch just once a screen that you want to read every day - knowing that you could have protected it for a measley twenty bucks - seems like a "insurance bargain" to me.

I have a scratch right in the middle of my auto GPS' screen. I had taken it out of the car, and slid it into a briefcase to show a conference how to acquire maidenhead location data. When I opened my briefcase and whipped it out at the conference, it was scratched - a pen probably did the deed.

BUT - the scratch is on my screen protector, and NOT the item itself. But I am not replacing that particular protector. It's a "visual aid" to me every time I drive to take good care of my electronics items.

Long live Kobo.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:33 AM   #58
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no need for a screen protector for the Kobo. I've had a reader for a lot longer then the Kobo has existed and I've found no need for one. All you are doing is wasting your money.
You've pointed out three times in this thread the uselessness of a screen protector. Your concern is admirable, but screen protectors for electronic gadgets can generally be a good idea, especially depending on the person (such as clumsy me). Sometimes people such as myself have even used screen protectors and covers with their devices.

In addition, I know that had there even the merest blemish or scratch on the screen, it would drive me loopy -- most of my gadgets have suffered not from deep, lengthy scratches, but distracting little nicks. The old style iPods drove me bonkers. My Nintendo DS's screen has suffered from just using the included stylus. I know if I notice a single dead pixel in an LCD screen, I'll see it forever after. My point is that I'm easily distracted and my devices some times look a little worn. I figure that $20 for this will give me some peace of mind. Your mileage may vary, of course.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #59
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... Your concern is admirable ...

You're WAY too diplomatic, Viviena!

(grin)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #60
Vivian
Connoisseur
Vivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo 1
Just to weigh in with my two cents. I recently noticed a ding on my Kobo's screen. It's a fair-sized one; it looks as though a small portion of the matte coating has come right off. I feel lucky that it's in the margin where it won't interfere with actual text, but it's convinced me that a screen protector is a good idea.

In case you're wondering, I don't think I've been careless with the ereader. I haven't dropped it or stacked anything on top of it. In fact, I have no idea how this ding happened.

Last edited by Vivian; 06-21-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote