Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Sponge_Bath
Sponge_Bath began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Using the iPod charger

Is it possible to recharge the Sony Reader using the included USB cable and plugging it into an iPod charger?
It would save having to carry around a lot of extra stuff that could be left behind in hotel rooms on my travels.

Cheers.
Sponge_Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Sponge_Bath
Sponge_Bath began at the beginning.

I'd try it out myself but I'm afraid of breaking my nice new Sony Reader.
Sponge_Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge_Bath
Is it possible to recharge the Sony Reader using the included USB cable and plugging it into an iPod charger?
Let me see if I understand correctly (in other words: I don't have an iPod, so I'm gonna ask a dumb question or two ). An iPod charges via its USB port? Will it also charge from a computer's USB port?

If those are the case I'd think the Charger would work okay, since USB ports have a standard that they have to follow. But I think I'd want to know that the iPod Charger was outputting at the same standard (that there's not some sort of quick-charge mode involved).

What is the output marked on the iPod Charger? The USB Standard (according to Wikipedia) is 5 volts and no more than 500 milliAmps. If the charger is rated around that, it should be fine, if it's less, it may not work at all, and it it's more ... I'd keep it away from the Reader.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Reader needs a real USB host for charging to work. Just putting some voltage on the contacts won't do.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

I had the same idea, but when I tried it the little red charging light on the Reader didn't go on.

Ken
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Good to know.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #7
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
If that's so...

Guess charging through the cradle connector or the power jack should work.

Else a "fake" host would be required. Easer to use the other two jacks.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:10 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unless you were away for an awfully long time - or unless you were using the Reader to play MP3 files - would you need to take a charger with you at all? One of the best things about the Reader is, for me at least, the fact that you can go for weeks without recharging.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry, I'm guessing you're right that Sponge_Bath isn't planning to play MP3's on his Reader, otherwise he'd take his Reader charger and not worry about carrying the iPod charger.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Harry, I'm guessing you're right that Sponge_Bath isn't planning to play MP3's on his Reader, otherwise he'd take his Reader charger and not worry about carrying the iPod charger.
Er, yes. Good point .
Old 12-03-2006, 05:25 AM   #11
dotmike
dotmike began at the beginning.

I'm wondering if the Sony PSP charger would work?

The PSP charger outputs 5V. The Sony Reader charger outputs 5.2V. Otherwise they look identical.

However, I'm not going to try (yet), as I never ever need to charge the Reader. The trickle it gets from adding new books has kept it near full charge ever since I've had it.

Page turning consumes very little power - I think it can go 7000 pages on a charge - and I don't play MP3s on it.
dotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:39 AM   #12
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmike

The PSP charger outputs 5V. The Sony Reader charger outputs 5.2V. Otherwise they look identical.

However, I'm not going to try (yet), as I never ever need to charge the Reader. The trickle it gets from adding new books has kept it near full charge ever since I've had it.

Page turning consumes very little power - I think it can go 7000 pages on a charge - and I don't play MP3s on it.

I use it the other way around. I charge my PSP with the Reader charger.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #13
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
Reader needs a real USB host for charging to work. Just putting some voltage on the contacts won't do.

Worse than that, actually. It has to be a PC WITH the Reader software installed on it. If you plug the Reader into a computer without the Reader drivers installed on it the charge light won't come on - at least according to my extensive testing of one other computer

I'm not sure why this restriction is in place (it's even fussier than my iPod about what it takes for USB charging) but at least they put in a dedicated charger jack.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA
Worse than that, actually. It has to be a PC WITH the Reader software installed on it. If you plug the Reader into a computer without the Reader drivers installed on it the charge light won't come on - at least according to my extensive testing of one other computer

I'm not sure why this restriction is in place (it's even fussier than my iPod about what it takes for USB charging) but at least they put in a dedicated charger jack.

Cheers,
Bob
If that's the case it sounds as though the USB charging is software controlled, and relies on the USB device driver being "active". That's an interesting one - I don't think any of my other USB-chargable devices work that way! I use a USB mains adaptor to charge most things when I go away on trips (mobile phone, iPaq Pocket PC, iPod); all they need is "voltage" rather than anything "smart" at the other end of the connection.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmike
Yup, it'll work fine, that's one of the undocumented tips they gave us at the Bloggers' Day thing back in September.