Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Goudy
Goudy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Recharging Issue

Hi Folks

I have not used my Sony PRS 300 in two months. Tried to turn it on but it was dead.

So I hooked it up to my USB port as I have done in the past. However nothing is happening on screen i.e. no twirling circles indicating that recharging is taking place.

The red recharge light is on but that is it.

Is my reader recharging or is it not?

Goudy
Goudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Can you charge it via AC?

Also, it takes over 3 hours to charge the PRS-300 from a drained battery using USB. Within that time it will not function. Once the battery is charged you should notice the Reader has connected to the computer via USB.

Make sure the computer does not drop to sleep or hibernate mode as power is cut from the USB hub and the battery will drain rather than charge.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Goudy
Goudy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Recharging Issue - Part 2

Thanks sabredog

I'm reminded that patience is a virtue. My PRS 300 just came back from the dead - as suggested by you it took nearly three hours.

Thanks for the tip about sleep mode. I don't think it was an issue this time but a good tip for the future.

Thanks again

Goudy
Goudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Yes, in sleep mode most computers shut down most power use, including power to their USB ports, in order to shut down USB-powered external devices. That's the whole point, after all: saving as much power as possible. And when a Sony Reader is plugged into an unpowered hub, or a sleeping computer, it will drain its battery flat trying valiantly to power the whole computer.

Also, a lot of times, if the battery is too low, you won't be able to charge it off of USB at all. Most of us long-time Sony users have wall chargers, for that and other reasons (for one, because you can read while charging with them). I happen to have a real Sony charger, thanks to a holiday gift card, but people here have said that the Sony PSP portable game console chargers work quite nicely. The Sony charger I have is rated for 2 amps of current. That seems like a lot for the lil' Reader to pull, but they didn't build it that big just on a whim, so were I looking for a third-party charger, I'd make sure it had a similar rating. Oh, and external USB chargers don't work; if you plug into the USB port, the Reader starts looking for data instead of charging. It needs either a computer on the USB port or an external charger on the barrel-connector socket.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudy View Post
Thanks sabredog

I'm reminded that patience is a virtue. My PRS 300 just came back from the dead - as suggested by you it took nearly three hours.

Thanks for the tip about sleep mode. I don't think it was an issue this time but a good tip for the future.

Thanks again

Goudy
Glad to see all is well and your Sony is working fine
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert