Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
A Decent Topaz

So I accidently bought a topaz (tpz) Kindle book last night (Cambridge Companion to Postliberal Theology). I generally avoid it, but I was tired and on ambien...

Once I realized it, I quickly started looking for some reason to return it... but it's actually beautifully done. Topaz or not, the text is very readable and the book well edited. This was a first for me - most of my topaz books are next to worthless.

It is still laden with DRM, which is terrible... but I thought I'd mention seeing a topaz file that also wasn't ugly as hell.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I had the same experience with Theological Interpretation of the New Testament, edited by Vanhoozer, Treier, and Wright. The font was more readable and aesthetically pleasing than the standard Kindle font. It's nice to know they are out there. However, the DRM issue, the fact that you can't search your own notes, and the inability to change the line spacing make Topaz books very unattractive, even when they come with a nice font.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Decent and topaz just doesn't flow for me
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
How is the performance of the page turns when you get into the book halfway or more. While the Topaz book I read had layout issues... it was the slow page turn speed that I really didn't like. Although, the K2 I think has a faster processor than my K1.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
2.0.2 sped up page turns on the K2 as well.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert