Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #346
converso
converso began at the beginning.

Device: all
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269149
delete this redundant post? (tried to respond to a relevant post)

Last edited by converso; 12-28-2015 at 02:22 PM.
converso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #347
rol
rol began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina E653
Hi. Thanks for the precise and practical guide.

I haven't rooted my Icarus E653 yet, because I've just bought it, and I don't want to void the warranty immediately. Hence my question. Is it possible to unroot the device without leaving any trace that it has been rooted, in case it has to be returned to the shop for an hardware problem? If yes, how?

In section 6, How to unbrick your device, the guide explains how to replace the original ROM with a new IMG. But there is no IMG file for the Icarus model. Is it available somewhere? Or can I safely use one of the Boyue images? In that case, how can I determine if I need the T61 or T62 image? I guess it's the T61, right? Also, how to know if I need the "A", "B" or "C" variant?

Also, the guide explains how to update the device to the latest firmware, and gives links to the update.zip files. Great, but I don't know if I have to update my device. Since I've just bought it, I suppose that it is up to date, but who knows? It runs Android v4.2.2 and the Icarus firmware v1.1.0-2015060820. Unfortunately, trying to update the firmware the official way (from the Settings -> About -> Update -> Check Update Version ) doesn't work. There is always the same error message: "Server threw an exception. Please try again later." I have reported that problem to the Icarus support, but I haven't received a reply yet. Therefore, I wonder if I should try the update available in this thread. But here, there is no version number, and therefore I don't know if it is more recent than mine. Someone can tell me how to find the version number within the update.zip archive? I don't want to risk to end up with an old firmware, especially since it seems impossible to download the latest version officially.

Thanks in advance for any help!
rol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #348
TheWheel
TheWheel began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62+
I have a Boyue T62+. I tried following the instructions on the OP but I can't get ADB to recognize my device. When I run abd devices, nothing shows up. Any ideas?
TheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #349
thejoker954
thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.

Device: 11th gen kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWheel View Post
I have a Boyue T62+. I tried following the instructions on the OP but I can't get ADB to recognize my device. When I run abd devices, nothing shows up. Any ideas?
you're leaving the device on right? with the boyue booted up plug in the usb and enter storage mode or whatever its called. then you should be connected as adb.

originally i thought to get into adb mode you had to power off then plug in usb while holding the refresh button but i guess thats download mode or something.
thejoker954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #350
Nazo
Nazo began at the beginning.

So lately I've been having a lot of trouble with my Boyue T62+ (T62D) not having any touch at all for significant lengths of time after turning on the screen. So far all that seems to work to fix it is to reboot and wait quite some time for it to fully come up and everything. It's pretty frustrating and takes up a lot of time. The funny thing is, it responds to the physical buttons instantly, it just completely ignores all my touches on the screen.

I've heard that the software on the Boyue isn't as good as one of the others. I've been kind of dissatisfied with it and how far it departs from stock Android anyway, so I wonder if I should consider cross-flashing? People have mentioned better battery life in particular and frankly it's a little disappointing as things are even with me using stuff like Greenify. (Don't get me wrong, it's better than most devices, but my Nexus 7 2013 had similar idle time at least. I'll admit screen on time is obviously a lot better, but I'm very disappointed at the idle time on this versus an old and painfully limited Nook Simple Touch running on Android 2.1. I expected this to be worse with its more powerful hardware and newer, at least somewhat more proper Android implementations, but not this much worse.) Which was the one that worked on the T62/T62+?

Actually, while I'm talking about battery life... Does anyone know about the quality of the battery? So many made in China products have pretty awful batteries. I've been wondering... What if I desolder the battery that is in there and find one really good one (say for a large Samsung phone for instance -- many of those have similar performances to what this one claims to have) and put it in?

Last edited by Nazo; 02-17-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Nazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2016, 04:54 AM   #351
SlantedChanter
SlantedChanter began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
Soft root method

I have a Mac so I wasn't able to use the RKBatchTool. Luckily it was really easy to soft root my T62D.

Soft root process
I updated to the latest firmware, T62D-160202 (https://drive.google.com/folderview?...FRSaWU5TUF5aXM), and then downloaded the KingRoot apk (http://www.kingroot.net/) and installed it on the T62. Then all I had to do was run it and do the one-click root. An alternative I didn't try is the 360Root app which some users on Chinese forums seemed to prefer.

After rooting, I installed RootChecker to make sure it worked and then installed SuperSu and the Xposed framework so I could re-map the hardware keys. I also granted root permission to ES File Explorer and changed my screensaver.

Changing the hardware keys so I can use long presses for Home, Recent Apps, and Screenshots was the single most useful thing about rooting for me. Now I can leave the status bar hidden and use it in full screen all the time.

Play store questions
I'm not sure what the best method is to install the Play Store without using the RKBatchTool. I've flashed gapps on phones before, but there seems to be no way to boot the T62 into recovery to do this (I tried using a few apps to boot into recovery but all of them just gave me the sad Android screen). Possible alternative methods include:
1) A gapps installer app (but these seem a little sketchy)
2) Manually installing the gapp apks (from the T6x_Ereader_toolsKit. This seems to require some minor fiddling with the root directories.
3) using ADB commands on a Mac.

Has anyone tried one of these methods?

I haven't pursued it further because I can do almost everything I need without the Play store. I can get apk files from the GoodEReader store or by downloading from the Play Store through this site: (http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/). It would be nice to be able to install paid versions of some apps and to use the Google account log-in system, but I get the impression that installing the Play store tends to increase instability and battery drain.

Last edited by SlantedChanter; 03-06-2016 at 04:59 AM.
SlantedChanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #352
FOV
Connoisseur
FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MagicBook A6LHD
EBook restore if on Mac, use Windows 7 in VirtualBox, just to RKBatchTool saw the book, you need to install "VirtualBox Extension Pack" and select the USB 2.0 support.
FOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #353
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantedChanter View Post

After rooting, I installed RootChecker to make sure it worked and then installed SuperSu and the Xposed framework so I could re-map the hardware keys. I also granted root permission to ES File Explorer and changed my screensaver.

Changing the hardware keys so I can use long presses for Home, Recent Apps, and Screenshots was the single most useful thing about rooting for me. Now I can leave the status bar hidden and use it in full screen all the time.
I would be interested in changing my page turn keys. So Xposed Framework was all you needed to accomplish that? I rooted the same way you btw.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #354
SlantedChanter

That's great! Yes, Xposed Framework + Xposed Additions is all you need. There are complete instructions here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251875

You can set many different actions for the normal click or long press of every key.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #355
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
That's great! Yes, Xposed Framework + Xposed Additions is all you need. There are complete instructions here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251875

You can set many different actions for the normal click or long press of every key.
Thank you.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #356
SlantedChanter

Thanks! I'll try that if I need the play store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOV View Post
EBook restore if on Mac, use Windows 7 in VirtualBox, just to RKBatchTool saw the book, you need to install "VirtualBox Extension Pack" and select the USB 2.0 support.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #357
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Thanks! I'll try that if I need the play store.
I'm not running the play store either. Too much battery drain for me (from what I've read). My ereader lasts about 2 weeks and I read anywhere from a couple hours a day to around five hours or so. Don't want to jack up the battery drain.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:38 PM   #358
Riche101
Riche101 began at the beginning.

Device: Energy Pro HD 20016
I have the new Energy Pro HD came with Play Store and Gmail, I have rooted it. Just seem to be struggling using Xposed to remap buttons

Last edited by Riche101; 03-23-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Riche101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #359
andyinsb
andyinsb began at the beginning.

Has anyone gotten a USB keyboard to work with a T62+?

I installed the T62D-160202 firmware from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265289 and I rooted successfully using the instructions in this thread, in case those things matter.

My T62+ can see files on a USB card reader connected via a USB OTG cable, but it ignores USB keyboards.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
andyinsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:01 AM   #360
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Try an active (powered) usb hub.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote