Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Testing epub book on readers?

My epub book is almost done. (I´m Working in Sigil.)

I have run epubcheck and validator, no big problems there. Just some more work on code and pictures and I am finished.

Now I would like to try it out on readers. I have no tablet PC or iPad, only a Sony Reader and Adobe Digital Editions.

Are there other software readers to try it on? I guess I should also ask friends who have iPads or similar machines.
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's probably a lot more important that you create a Kindle version of your book and make sure that it works well on that. Authors very often report that well over 90% of their sales are from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Where I live Kindle is insignificant, so that would be incorrect for me.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
@GraciousMe: I suggest you to install Lucifox add-on for Firefox, and open your EPUB there. It is a quite picky EPUB reader, so you will get an extra "validation" round, plus the possibility of testing it in a resizable window. (The only notable limitation is that it does not support SVG images.) A similar test can be done with the calibre ebook viewer --- but I prefer Lucifox.

Unfortunately, there are still many things that would require testing on a physical device. Here in Italy we have founded a nonprofit organization, the eBook Club Italia that, among other wonderful initiatives, offers help to authors by testing an eBook on several different eReaders, owned by members or by the association itself.

If you need help, you can contact me with a private message.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
Where I live Kindle is insignificant
Now I'd like to know what country you are living in, so I could move there
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Well, here in the Netherlands the Kindle is also very, very small but growing.

You should at least test your ePUB in ADE, as most readers use that.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
It's not where you live which is significant for most authors. It's where you sell the most books.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
It's not where you live which is significant for most authors. It's where you sell the most books.
Perhaps the OP's book is in a language other than English. Kindle sales may well not be significant if that's the case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
I have an Acer tablet and a Sony eReader and I use Calibre to manage and convert books. On my PC I test them in ADE (epub) and Kindle for PC (mobi). They look different in each application, so there is no way to make sure they look the same everywhere, if that's what you are trying to do.
But looking at posts in different forums, it would be worth checking the books on an Ipad as well.
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
This is the reason we suggest adding location to your profile. It is hard to provide good advice without knowing where you live.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use Adobe Digital Editions to test your ePub. Also use your Sony Reader to see how it looks on a 6" eink screen. That will do it for at least 90% of the readers/apps out there for ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
GraciousMe
Zealot

Question

Correct, my book is not in English.

I should make it very clear that I have no physical readers.

Trying the book in Adobe Digital Editions or Sony Reader does not look good (= not as it looks in Sigil).

However, Calibre shows the same as Sigil...

?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Trying the book in Adobe Digital Editions or Sony Reader does not look good (= not as it looks in Sigil).
In that case you'll probably need to embed a font for your mystery language, if you want to share your book with others.
For example, this epub supports Turkish, Russian, Greek, Vietnamese and several other languages not supported by ADE. (Even with an embedded font, ADE does not support Arabic or Hebrew.)

Quote:
However, Calibre shows the same as Sigil...?
That's because they use the same rendering engine.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
GraciousMe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
In that case you'll probably need to embed a font for your mystery language,
The language presents no problems.

ADE and Reader don´t show Italic and Text align.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If you share a sample epub that shows your problems (it doesn't have to be the real book if you are concerned about copyright, you can replace all text with "lorem ipsum", as long as it reproduces the issues with ADE and the Sony Reader) we can have a look and tell you whether it's a bug in the programs or a problem with your book.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote