Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I'm salivating for one! I haven't preordered it yet, but I know it won't be long before I cave.

The two features I love the most:

- the swipe bar at the bottom that allows you to quickly flip through pages. I really miss the convenience of doing that with paper books. I often like to go back and check things since I also write and sometimes like to go back to look at how an author set something up.

- the text highlighting feature. I'd love to be able to proofread on my Kobo. With the new Kobo, I can highlight areas that I think need work when I proofread.

I hadn't checked the price here in Canada. It does suck that it's more expensive since our dollar is on par, but for all the features it adds I'll probably still get it.

Last edited by Suzanna; 05-23-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
(I also notice in the video that Georgia font is a choice -- the same as the Kindle I believe -- and an easier to read font than Times Roman. Just an other example of Kobo designers continuing to tweak every aspect of the design.)

I believe that the current units use Avenir and Georgia.

Last edited by PeterT; 05-23-2011 at 02:29 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I hadn't checked the price here in Canada. It does suck that it's more expensive since our dollar is on par, but for all the features it adds I'll probably still get it.
It's $139 on the Chapters' site. My assumption is that it is the import duties from where it is manufactured into Canada that accounts for the difference in price with the US. I don't have much to base that on, but it has been true for other things. Kobo has said that retailers can price it themselves so it may be that WalMart or Best Buy/Future Shop will have a different price.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #19
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
This one caught my eye! I got an email from Borders on it so I went hunting. If/when my Sony 350 dies I could look at getting a Kobo. I'm waiting to hear the views of those who use it regularly. I dearly love my Sony and got it at a good price but in Canada they're $200!! That's pretty stiff compared to the $140 of the Kobo Touch.

Pricewise, I was actually impressed that in the US it's only $129 compared to Canada's $139. $10 isn't a huge difference to swallow. Hubby bought my Sony in the US for $130 compared to in Canada for $200. That's a crazy difference. With only a $10 difference, plus the higher tax rate of course, I think it'll deter a lot of people driving over the border to grab one in the US.

Thank you Asawi for correcting the other person regarding the Sony 600 Touch. I was thinking the same thing and almost going to type it out to them when I read your post. The new Sony touch screens are far superior to the 600. I bought the 300 at the time because I couldn't stand the 600.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I'm salivating for one! I haven't preordered it yet, but I know it won't be long before I cave.
Me too! I have been waiting for something like this. A Epub e-reader with pearl, touchscreen and SD card. It looks to be the right size too for someone like me with small hands. Any word on how much it weighs? I have a Kindle 3 and for me it's tad heavy but my first reader was a Hanlin v5 clone which weighs practically nothing. So when I got my K3 it was like "Wow this is a little bit heavy."

I need a good epub reader for my library books and traveling.
The Kobo Touchscreen looks like it would be perfect!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
This looks like s step up from my original. I have been looking to upgrade, but don't want colour (unless it is e-ink and that isn't looking hopeful).

Now, I wonder how long it will take before they are available in New Zealand. I feel a borderlynx order coming my way.....(if I can do that via kobo without upsetting my book account).
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
http://www.thestar.com/business/companies/article/995650--kobo-goes-up-market-targets-kindle?bn=1

The weight is listed at the KoboReader (http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_compare) web site as 200 g; compared to the Kindle 3 at 247
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
akuerz75
Enthusiast
akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch, Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Any word on how much it weighs? I have a Kindle 3 and for me it's tad heavy ....

According Kobo Webpage:
http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_compare

Weight (Kobo): 200g

Weight (Kindle3 Wifi): 247g
akuerz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #24
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Oh wow, I want one so bad.
I just need a way to justify replacing my Kobo WiFi (which, really, works great for 99% of my reading)

Anyone have any smart-ass ideas?
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #25
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
Oh wow, I want one so bad.
I just need a way to justify replacing my Kobo WiFi (which, really, works great for 99% of my reading)

Anyone have any smart-ass ideas?
This is coming from a guy who has replaced 5 phones over the last 2 years: just buy it

Of course, some would call me a tad biased.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #26
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Just pre-ordered mine, can't wait!! My mom is pretty excited too because she is getting my old one.
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The weight is listed at the KoboReader (http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_compare) web site as 200 g; compared to the Kindle 3 at 247
Thanks I found the info on Borders' site. It's 7.1 ounces.
My Pocket Pro is 6oz and my Kindle 3 is 8.7oz so it's defiantly lighter not to mention smaller then the K3!

I can't wait! I am super excited about this!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Press release says "Early June" and then July for the Intl language version. Chapters says June on their pre-order page, but Borders says July 30th (even though they're promoting it like it's a great fathers day gift). I wonder if Border's date is correct.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #29
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Of course, some would call me a tad biased.
True...

I have to admit I gonna give some bucks to Kobo!

I almost bought a PRS-350 but I wanted to leave Sony (After Sales sucks so much...) and now Kobo gives me the perfect answer.

I have a question though, the follow your books and stats thing, will it be available for the files you add with drag & drop as well as those bought via the store?
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #30
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I am so impressed with this... I think that I will be pre-ordering one as a gift. I hope that is released at the beginning of June, and that the July 30th date is only for the international release.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote