Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #76
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Aha! That helps a lot. Thanks!

Actually, it was in landscape & landscape-half with Prs500 (not prs500-l) that I didn't see overlap (in the middle where the page was cut).

I'll try default settings with prs500-l tonight!

Btw, is there an option on the GUI to chose the rotate direction for prs500-l? While I like it rotating to the right because the button is on my right thumb, when I am using a cover that doesn't fold back underneath, it's slightly awkward to have it coming towards my body between me and the Reader as I read. Not a big deal, though.

I'm quite excited at the prospect of being able to read my PDFs on the Reader with very little effort in the conversion!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #77
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, here's what I learned...

There are two good options that I see for setting up the pdf document that I was using (a tech book).

1) Portrait/PRS500
This works well, and you can read itsy bitsy print in portrait, or more likely you will hold down the size button until the Reader goes into landscape mode.

Advantage: Very straightforward and simple, and you use the Reader modes the way you are accustomed to.
Disadvantage: There was some extra margin on my document on the right side of pages, and you do have to put the Reader in landscape mode, which takes a little time to get out of.

2) Default/PRS500-L

Advantages: Easiest and best option, in my opinion, based on the one book. There really is some overlap when you do landscape this way, so you don't miss anything. It works great. It rotates the page to the right, so you can turn pages with your right thumb, and it really isn't bad having the cover opening in towards you.

Disadvantages: I think the pages may not be as evenly split as when you let the Reader break pages in half by itself.

But I don't think that it really matters about the page split. If you want the prettiest document, you probably want to read it on a laptop, not the Reader. What matters here is readability, and I #2 is actually the best option. At least for my test document.

Come on - surely there are others out there who are using PDFRead and can give us some tips on how to best make use of the program.

The best news is that you can likely just follow #1 and #2 and get great results for many pdf documents. And there are probably more ways to improve it also, but I like fast and easy! Thanks ashkulz!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:45 AM   #78
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Advantage: Very straightforward and simple, and you use the Reader modes the way you are accustomed to.
Disadvantage: There was some extra margin on my document on the right side of pages, and you do have to put the Reader in landscape mode, which takes a little time to get out of.
The margin on the right side is inevitable, as PDFRead will resize the image down to the reader dimensions to maintain proper aspect ratio of the cropped page -- very few pages will have a aspect ratio which matches the screen aspect ratio. I had thought of doing a non-aspect ratio preserving resize, but the output tends to be bad on pages having only a few lines: they then expand to take the whole page, making them VERY tall and looks really weird.

Quote:
2) Default/PRS500-L

Advantages: Easiest and best option, in my opinion, based on the one book. There really is some overlap when you do landscape this way, so you don't miss anything. It works great. It rotates the page to the right, so you can turn pages with your right thumb, and it really isn't bad having the cover opening in towards you.

Disadvantages: I think the pages may not be as evenly split as when you let the Reader break pages in half by itself.
As I said earlier, in this mode it will not split evenly at all: taking into consideration the screen dimensions and the aspect ratio of the page content, it will make 2/3/4 pages as needed. You can also rotate it left instead of right, but that option is not in the GUI. You have 2 choices: copy and modify the command line when the conversion process starts (it is shown at the start) or use the batch conversion script and put it in the options. The option to use is "--rotate left"

Quote:
Come on - surely there are others out there who are using PDFRead and can give us some tips on how to best make use of the program.

The best news is that you can likely just follow #1 and #2 and get great results for many pdf documents. And there are probably more ways to improve it also, but I like fast and easy! Thanks ashkulz!
I think that for most users, the default profile settings work very well and they rarely bother to do the extra tuning. That's something that I do myself, I rarely bother to change the default settings -- in fact, I'm so lazy that I've written a script which will take all extract all archives in a directory, convert any LIT, TXT, RTF or PDF file to HTML, index all of the HTML files, make an RB ebook and send it across to my ebook. So typically all I do is copy some files to a folder and run the script -- and that's it If you want to see the (linux-specific) script, you can access it here.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #79
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

It doesn't get any easier than this!

So one can almost always just do the following...

1) Set profile = "prs500-l" for the Sony Reader
2) Set the input and output filenames, document title & author
3) Click convert!

Now that's simple!!!!

And for those of you that haven't tried it yet, you should know that installation is also very simple. There is a standard installer to guide you through the process, and the new program is then available in the start menu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
I think that for most users, the default profile settings work very well and they rarely bother to do the extra tuning. That's something that I do myself, I rarely bother to change the default settings
Old 07-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #80
harpum
Enthusiast
harpum began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 51v/LG chocolate
Can you add option which does not resize?

thank you for making your program.
Bob Russell already mentioned margin problem.
Can you add option which does not resize and leave original page?

I use pdflatex to split and resize letter paper. It is more easy to handle to me. But after use your program , I got a lot of margin.

When I use rasterfarian, there is no margin, but it does not support TOC.

I attached original pdf file and result from your program and rasterfarian.
Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf rasterfarian verion.lrf (1.09 MB, 700 views)
File Type: lrf pdfread version.lrf (1.49 MB, 679 views)
File Type: pdf original.pdf (1.01 MB, 718 views)

Last edited by harpum; 07-14-2007 at 04:24 PM.
harpum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:14 AM   #81
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
split landscape into 4

I scanned a book and I got - as one usually gets when scans standard format books - landscape images (one page to the left, the other to the right). When I use the landscape-half feature of the PDFRead, it splits the big image into two halves (corresponding to each page). The problem is that these pages are not readable on the ebook, the text being to small. So I'm thinking if it is possible to use PDFRead to produce readable pages from scanned books without having to manually cut the images first. I'm suggesting a feature that would split a two-pages landscape image resulted from scanning a book into 4 smaller images, so that they can be read on a EBW-1150.

Or, I could use PDFRead twice: the first time using landscape-half to split the scan into 2 pages, then use the resulting png's to obtain half-pages that are readable on the EBW-1150.

Last edited by sputnik; 08-02-2007 at 03:05 AM.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #82
Kraebber
Kraebber began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Just tried PDFRead 1.7 nad want to convert a PDF to a Sony LRH file. But in the output boxes the ebook always reverts to Rocketbook. How can I make sure I create a Sony Ebook? Thanks
Kraebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #83
test-subjacked
test-subjacked began at the beginning.

Device: Zen Vision:M - 30GB
Is there any pdf converters for Creative Zen Vision :M 30 gig
test-subjacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:12 AM   #84
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Lightbulb

Hi,

After struggling with various formats on my Hanlin V3 and especially with PDF files, I decided to give PDFRead a try.
While there is no profile for the Hanlin V3 I used the Sony 500-l profile and used the resulting png images in the temp folder to see how the result would be....
WOW.. How usefull!!! this makes PDF files previously impossible to read on a small screen a bless.
However... since the output of PDF read is limited to some closed formats not supported by the Hanlin V3 I took a look at some alternatives.
using the loose PNG files only is not an option as a lot of reference PDF's I use output too much files, and I like having a good overview of my folders

So I decided to take a look at some PNG to PDF converters. I found one working quite well, but for bigger files with hundreds of PNG images the resulting PDF gets corrupt. However, the smaller ones I did manage to creates give me good hope.

Now, my question is.. since PDFRead converts from PDF and DJVU to PNG (and does a very good job in this!), will it be possible to get the option in to recreate the PNG files to PDF and/or DJVU? This way we have a true PDFRead program that converts PDF's to a format readible by Ebook readers with the advantage that PDF en DJVU files are read by a lot more readers then just the ones in the profile making the PDFRead program truely generic and usefull (at least for me )
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #85
mvoosten
Zealot

Exclamation

A Bug with PDFRead 1.7 and Vista (not sure if that has to do with it but mention it anyway).
When using the output as HTML on the command line, the output location is ignored. Instead it will pop up the temp directory with the output!!

Talking about temp files, PDFRead is not cleaning up the temp files after conversion. The temp folders for creating the PNG output are there after the resulting file is written.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #86
mvoosten
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraebber View Post
Just tried PDFRead 1.7 nad want to convert a PDF to a Sony LRH file. But in the output boxes the ebook always reverts to Rocketbook. How can I make sure I create a Sony Ebook? Thanks
Noticed that too.. I think that there should be no extention option in the output section. Whatever you choose seems to be overwritten by the selected profile anyway.
See my logged bug for example on HTML.. There is no way to output to HTML in the interface what I've seen so far.. Everything is saved as LRH or IMP depending on the profile selection.

My suggesion: Get rid of the forced file extention in the profiles and have a selection of output formats so that these two are independed.
For me for example the Hanlin V3 has the same specs as the Sony 500 but it can not read the LRF format. So all the settings are fine, I just need another output format.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #87
Antonieb
Antonieb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Nice tool.. but we need bookeen gen3 support

Support for prc or any other format readable by my bookeen gen 3 would be nice ?

Keep up the good work.. it's a nice tool !!
Antonieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #88
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
New version 1.8 coming soon...

See continuation of this thread in PDFRead 1.8 Released!

PDFRead 1.8 has many enhancements and minor bug fixes. Attached are screenshots of the new version 1.8 GUI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFRead-GUI.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	11461   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFRead-GUI2.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	11462   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFRead-GUI3.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	11463   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFRead-GUI4.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	11464   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFRead-GUI5.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	11465  

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-13-2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added pictures of new version 1.8 GUI
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote