Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
how many books does the kobo store hold?

i'm wondering how much the kobo store has in terms of paid books...

i saw similar thread for kindle which is
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16469

and i was amazed at how amazon keeps updating their stock...

and yes i heard there is 2 million books for kobo but 1.8 of them are from internet archive... which leaves 200k, does the store get updated? is there a way to find out
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
They have TONS of Harlequin romance or fantasy for 14 year olds.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtxeule View Post
and yes i heard there is 2 million books for kobo but 1.8 of them are from internet archive... which leaves 200k, does the store get updated?
The store seems to get updated daily. 2 Million was the number at launch--not sure how many there are now, or how many of them are in the public domain.

Also, there are geographical restrictions on some books, so the choices I see available to me in Canada and the choices to a reader in the US or Australia are not always the same. My own experience, as a Canadian, is that there are a significant number of books I cannot buy through the Amazon US site (well not without some sketchy machinations) that are available to me in Canada. If Amazon someday opens a Canadian site, that may change.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

can you only tell whether you can buy a book or not being canadian on the kindle only or is there a way to see this via the site? now i'm worried about getting the kindle... thx lol
Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use this site: http://www.ebookprice.info/ to look and see the pricing at various ebook stores. It also lists geographic restrictions. After you search for the book you are interested in, look at the section "eBook Prices." It may take some time to load completely.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
ebookinfo doesn't always have accurate georestriction data. nachtxeule, create an Amazon account and search for any ebooks you want to buy. The system will tell you if they're not available to you.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

just for giggles, I looked at a NY Times Hardcover Fiction list from the past. May 22, 2005. What can I say, it turned up on the first page of my google search. I ran the first ten books.

4 were not available for Kindle Canada or Kobo Canada
2 were available for Kobo Canada, but not Kindle Canada
the remaining 4 were available for both.

I don't know that it proves anything in particular. I happen to believe that being able to buy books in ePUB format gives me more options, in general. That said, it's just an opinion, and we all know how unreliable those are .
Old 08-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
nachtxeule
Enthusiast

i looked for the same list in case you're bsing

the first 3 books are not on kindle but is on kobo
the 4th is on both and international
the 5th is on both and international
the 6th is on both and international
number 7 isn't on either
number 8 isn't on either
number 9 isn't on either
the 10th is on both and interntional

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/bo...rdfiction.html

did you do your job correctly? i did the first 10 as well
Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Just for a laugh here's the results from Australia (using Borders instead of Kobo as per regional thingo):

amazon.com (US) 1/10
borders.com.au 2/10

They're not even the same books.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Book 3 is THE MERMAID CHAIR, by Sue Monk Kidd. It did not show up on Kobo using Google search (which was accurate in the other books), but did when I input it into the Kobo search engine itself. Mea Culpa.That made my count off one, and less favorable to Kobo.

So nice of you to explore both my accuracy and sincerity. . BTW, none of this is my job. I'm actually a social worker during the day. I'm sorry if I somehow offended you. That was not my intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtxeule View Post
i looked for the same list in case you're bsing

the first 3 books are not on kindle but is on kobo

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/bo...rdfiction.html

did you do your job correctly? i did the first 10 as well

Last edited by taming; 08-18-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I've had a Kobo for about two weeks, and have sort of been off-handedly tracking the
number of titles available when I enter through the Chapters ebook listing.

I'm assuming this doesn't include any of the public-domain free books as we're well below
2 million...

Aug 7th : 71,038
Aug 11 : 72,426
Aug 14 : 73,431

And as of right now...

Aug 18 : 73,475

So while it's not an astounding number, it's certainly still a whole lot of books.
I was initially expecting it to be much higher but I imagine that all booksellers partake in some creative accounting to get their advertised book-count up.

It's also nice to see that nearly 2500 titles were added in the 11 days since I started.
And again, these are only the numbers available to me, as a resident of Canada, when entering through the Chapters "eBooks by Kobo" link/portal/whatever.

Ian

Last edited by ZombWii; 08-18-2010 at 03:51 PM.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
The latest Kobo blog says the store has 2.2 million titles, 1.8 million are free.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The new blog entry is all about Kobo growth: http://blog.kobobooks.com/2010/08/18/rocketship/. My sense is that Kobo considers itself to have multiple stores and counts each store separately.

From the blog entry:

Quote:
We have now launched 4 of the largest bookseller chains worldwide – Borders (US), Indigo (CA), Borders (AU), Angus & Robertsons (AU) and Whitcoull’s (NZ). They each have an integrated web experience, mobile applications for iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, Android and Desktop. They also sell our Kobo eReader in stores and online.

Meanwhile, our direct business at Kobobooks.com is rocking and we’ve delivered ebooks into 200 countries from Azerbaijan to Vanuatu – we’re making books available in more places to more people than ever before.

#2 CONTENT IS KING

We now have 2.2 million eBooks, and local content in Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand in addition to the US. We have 95% of New York Times bestselling titles available in digital format (even kids books!) and 90% of Globe & Mail bestsellers, with more arriving every day. We are actively acquiring content around the world, and this goes beyond black & white text, beyond plain ole’ ebooks. As we announce new distribution channels, we will give a deeper update here.