Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
Beewee
Beewee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Help Needed with Calibre Import

I think I might have seriously messed up.
New computer, transferred books over. Have spent the last 2 days trying to get them into Calibre using export/import.
This is the scenario:
Can see the 2.7GB of files in c:\users\bethw\newfolder\calibrelibrary.
Inside the calibre library folder are all my books plus at the very bottom of the list in the calibre library folder are:
metadata
metadata_db-prefs-backup.json

When I try to import into an empty folder, all I get is
part-001.calibre data

Where am I going wrong?
I am not computer literate and have read and re-read the FAQ and manual but still can't do it
Beewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Do Not start by copying the files. The Import will do that.
The destination(s) Library(ies) must be empty folders

Start Calibre: Right clickThe Calibre Icon on the toolbar: Export/Import: Import

Navigate to where the Export was stored: Select

Fill in (Select Folders) the paths where the destination(s) will now go

OK (wait till done)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That is the correct file (the first-of-sequence) created by an Export (on the old computer).

Now copy that folder to the new computer, and use the Import tool to import the folder containing the part-00*.calibre-data file(s). It will read those files to rebuild all your libraries and settings.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
Beewee

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\exim.py", line 137, in run_action
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\exim.py", line 354, in import_data
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied

That's the message I got. I tried to follow the instructions you've both given me and thank you so far. I hope I'll get there in the end!
Old 07-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beewee View Post
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\exim.py", line 137, in run_action
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\exim.py", line 354, in import_data
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied

That's the message I got. I tried to follow the instructions you've both given me and thank you so far. I hope I'll get there in the end!
That says you are probably trying to put:
the Library someplace you don't have Full permission
or
you do not have full read permission on the exported files
Advert
Old 07-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
Beewee

I don't know what that means or how to fix it. Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is a permission error, it appears that the saved export data is not read-writable on the new computer.

You will need to fix the access permissions before calibre can touch those files. Just right-click, access the properties, and fix the security settings. Or something like that, I haven't used Windows in a while so I don't really remember exactly where those settings are found.

This sometimes happens, especially with people who are not huge computer geeks.
Probably because the flashdrive or external hard drive you used is NTFS instead of FAT32?

As a general rule of thumb, those permission errors can trip you up for any data you transfer from computer to computer. One of the reasons to prefer FAT32 for transferrable data. But hardware vendors have a pernicious habit of shipping such devices as NTFS.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beewee View Post
I don't know what that means or how to fix it. Any ideas?
above
@Beewee - I'm assuming the new machine is Windows 10.

Another solution is for your logon id to take 'ownership' of the "part-001.calibre data" file on the new machine. Here's how to do that Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-03-2016 at 06:21 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
Beewee

Hello again...looks as though I've solved the access 5 error (windows 10) but still can't import the library. I'll keep trying though and will post here with results tomorrow. My brain is addled now so will have to call it a night. Thank you again for help so far.

I think there was a small step forward in that the transfer to Calibre popped up but then disappeared soon after (without any errors)
Old 07-04-2016, 06:17 AM   #10
Beewee

Latest:
1. Made new folder on desktop and that now holds part-0001.calibre-data.
2. I right click Calibre Library on toolbar of Calibre and choose import.
3. I choose the new folder on the desktop which I made earlier.
4. It asks me to specify a location for the library I wish to import.
5. I make another new folder on the desktop and choose that (new folder 2)
6. Calibre flashes up a transfer for 5 secs then closes down.
7. All that happens is that the name on the toolbar (Calibre Library) has now changed to New Folder 2.
8. No books are in it.
9.When I look in New Folder 2 it shows a little white square with Metadata and it's a base file 126kb

Please could someone help me to proceed?
Thank you.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Beewee - how big is part-0001.calibre-data? It should be a bit bigger than the sum of all the libraries you exported - i.e. about 3GB. When you did the export did you select one or more libraries (ctrl/a to select all) - viz

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	149880

From what you're describing it appears that it may have only imported your configuration data. Is there an %appdata%\calibre folder, that contains something like this?

dictionaries
fonts
metadata_sources
plugins
resources
shortcuts
store

catalog_presets.json
cover_generation.json
customize.py
viewer_dictionaries.json
viewer_themes.json
windows_open_with.json

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Libraries on Desktop Shortcuts

That error may be a safety Trap kicking in. (Kovid added traps for common location errors a while back)
Folk cleaned desktops, then went OMG

Put your Library in Documents (where the initial install default gets made) , alongside that or in Public
Old 07-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
Beewee

Better Red:
The size of the part-001 etc. data is 370kb
and yes there is %appdata%\calibre that looks something like that with a few variations.

the ducks:
I've put the library in documents but what next? That is ...the library containing all my books and right at the bottom of the list is:
Metadata
metadata_db_prefs_backup.json
Old 07-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Your export from the old computer is incomplete, and doesn't include any libraries. Back up and re-export them.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #15
Beewee

My old computer is wiped. All my books are on a Verbatim portable h/d. Am I done for?