Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2014, 01:03 AM   #1
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Sorting ebook libraries

I have free or DRM free books in my library - no problem sorting these out as there are plenty of good apps with tagging or "collections" facilities and of course the wonderful Calibre on my PC to manage everything. The big problem is the growing mess in Google Play books, Amazon etc. It was fine when I had about 10-12 books in each, now I can't find anything. Most of the time I read on one of my tablets using the appropriate app (and that's another annoyance - apps for each seller!) Now I can't find books without either scrolling the lot or relying on my less than perfect memory for the author's name. But often I'd like to just browse "Detective stories" or "Travel books" etc.
Any suggestions?
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sounds like you need to remove the source of the problem -- the DRM. Google "apprentice alf" for more details.

(site policy prevents us discussing it in depth over here.)

You might also appreciate chaley's android app, Calibre Companion. It allows you to make full use of calibre metadata -- custom columns and all -- and open ebooks in whichever app you want from CC's library.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-29-2014 at 01:12 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 01:13 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This will only work if you're comfortable with the idea of removing DRM, but my suggestion would be put all the books from every store into Calibre and tag them how you'd like (genre's, etc.), set series info if desired. Then pick out a favorite reading app to use for everything and make sure all books are in the proper format (convert as necessary). Then use Calibre Companion to transfer and catalog the books on your tablet(s). CC will give you great flexibility allowing you to browse by series, author, title and whatever tags you have assigned a book.

Some screen cap examples of CC are attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-09-01-26-10.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	129048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-09-01-26-39.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	129049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-09-28-00-22-56.png
Views:	123