Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
pmthokku
pmthokku began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800sg, Sony PRS950, Nook Simple Touch (rooted), Entourage Edge
720p rgb vs 1080p pentile displays

Would anyone who has used both samsung note 3 neo as well as note 3 give me their opinion about reading on these two devices?

note 3 neo : 5.5" screen 1280x720 = 267 ppi (rgb)
note : 5.7" screen 1920x1080 = 386 ppi (pentile)

Does the pentile display on the note 3 create problems with text or is the ppi high enough that one doesn't feel the difference? Also, what about the contrast and brightness?

Taking my iPad retina mini as the standard (=100) how would you rate the displays on these two phones (1 to 100 or more)?

Given that note 3 costs 1.5 times note 3 neo, I would like to save some money if the reading experience is not way better.
Thank you.
pmthokku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
It doesn't matter. Your eyes won't be able to distinguish it anyway.
I do not have Galaxy note Neo, but I owns 5.3 inch Galaxy Note 1 (1280x800, 5.3 inch) and Xiaomi Mi3 (1920x1080, 5 inch) and for me they are both the same.
Letters in my Mi3 are little bit crisper and thinner compared to my GNote, but both are already sharp like being painted on screen.

Please also bear in mind that higher resolution screen consumes more power than lower one.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:24 AM   #3
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
I disagree. Book reading is perhaps the only place I can see a difference in the screens between the Note 2 and the Note 3.

The screen full of tiny text that doesn't change while I read from top to bottom is a bit sharper and a bit clearer on the 1080p display as compared to the 720p display.

Its not a huge thing, and both are excellent. I probably wouldn't call it way better, but I certainly appreciated the difference when I upgraded.

Last edited by kaufman; 10-05-2014 at 12:54 PM.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post
Please also bear in mind that higher resolution screen consumes more power than lower one.
While I know this really should be the case I'm finding my LG G3 with it's quad HD display has the best battery life of any Android device I've owned so far including my Nexus 7 tablet, I've actually been on a quest to get the battery low for the last few days as I'm a believer of the first few charges should be full ones.

Basically I've been watching episodes of sons of Anarchy on it and using bluetooth headphones (partly because I want to lower the battery and partly I want to know screen on time).

What I've found so far is I can play with the phone throughout the entire day go home to bed and watch 7/8 45 minute episodes in a row and I'm still at about the 35% mark which at least to me is crazy good. I think I could probably watch another two or maybe even three but I've been too tired to push myself to that.

Basically I'm just finding the battery to be immense, I had ideas of picking up a 9,000mah zerolemon battery for it before I bought the thing but I've now decided there is just no need.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
pmthokku
pmthokku began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800sg, Sony PRS950, Nook Simple Touch (rooted), Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I disagree. Book reading is perhaps the only place I can see a difference in the screens between the Note 2 and the Note 3.

The screen full of tiny text that doesn't change while I read from top to bottom is a bit sharper and a bit clearer on the 1080p display as compared to the 720p display.

Its not a huge thing, and both are excellent. I probably wouldn't call it way better, but I certainly appreciated the difference when I upgraded.
Thank you. I see you also own a note 4. Do you see a difference going from note 3 to note 4?
pmthokku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmthokku View Post
Thank you. I see you also own a note 4. Do you see a difference going from note 3 to note 4?
Well, I own a Note 4 in the sense that I have ordered one, but I don't have it in my hands yet, so I can't tell you the difference.

I'll be happy to post my thought when I get it (hopefully soon).
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote