Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
lakicsv
lakicsv began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Unhappy Handling (deleting, editing) tags manually with Calibre

Hi everybody,

I have just discovered Calibre while I was searching for an ebook organizer. It looks fantastic and very feature-rich as a well. Congratulations to the Author!

Just one question:

Is there a way to handle tags manually? I do not want tags automatically downloaded from Google - this makes tags a mess and adds a lot of - for me anyway - irrelevant tags...

I want to control fully what tags are added myself. When the tags panel is open there is no obvious way to even delete those tags.

I am sure that I am missing something, please help me out...

Viktor
lakicsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Adding/editing/deleting tags manually is no prolbem at all - I do it all the time.

probably the easiest way is to edit the tags field directly from within the Edit metadata dialog. Note the use of auto-completion suggestions in this field makes it easy to add tags by typing the first few letters.

There is also the button at the end of the tags field to bring up the GUI based Tags Editor. This allows you to see what tags are currently assigned; add previously used (defined) tags from the displayed list; remove tags or create new tags.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Very easy with Calibre.

When you right click on a titel you can choose 'edit meta title' easier individual or in bulk.

In the metatitle screen is a field for the tags. Unfortunatly you have to remember to remove all the tags you don't want by clicking on the red X on the left hand of the tag screen.

You could also double click on the tag field in the listing (it's to the right of the screen) and change / delete that way.

Make a list of the tags you want so you don't make a typo along the way
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
You can also control metadata from the Preferences / Plugins page.

There is a section for Metadata download plugins and the option to Enable / Disable or even remove plugins. Any that are disabled are shown as grey icons.

Hope this helps you.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
lakicsv
lakicsv began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Dowloading covers and metadata in bulk but not tags?

Thanks to everyone who replied! I got this now. The only problem left is that I obviously want to download metadata and covers in bulk to manage my collection with Calibre, but I do not want to get the 'social metadata', and I find it impossible to do this with Calibre. Even when I download the covers only, tags come with it...
The main problem with these downloaded tags is that they are duplicated, mispelled, often do not mean anything to me - so they just flood my database ...

Anyone has a solution? Dowloading covers and metadata in bulk but not tags?
lakicsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakicsv View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied! I got this now. The only problem left is that I obviously want to download metadata and covers in bulk to manage my collection with Calibre, but I do not want to get the 'social metadata', and I find it impossible to do this with Calibre. Even when I download the covers only, tags come with it...
The main problem with these downloaded tags is that they are duplicated, mispelled, often do not mean anything to me - so they just flood my database ...

Anyone has a solution? Dowloading covers and metadata in bulk but not tags?
Go to Preferences/General and uncheck Download Social Metadata. You'll still get covers and comments, but mostly no tags. Be aware that bulk downloads of metadata often return the wrong results. It takes longer to do them one at a time, but you get better results.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Go to Preferences/General and uncheck Download Social Metadata. You'll still get covers and comments, but mostly no tags. Be aware that bulk downloads of metadata often return the wrong results. It takes longer to do them one at a time, but you get better results.
Extremely good advice . I just did my 400+ library (Manually):
Issues:
Wrong 1st (2nd,3rd) item in list. Sometimes the lookup Title needs the series name included, other times not

As the O/P mentioned: Tons of ?? tags

Problems with your existing data that prevents any match being found:
Code:
Like: & vs and
Fix and retry

Author name variations. (Normalize) : Robert Anson Heinlein vs Robert A. Heinlein .

Fix Title "Case"

Add Series names and numbers (not done by Meta Data lookup, at all) .

Choose-add Alternate cover images (that match your dead tree version?)

[I know I have missed some other reasons here.]

Nothing beats,good old, Eyeball Mk. I, with brain engaged.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
hydin
Connoisseur
hydin doesn't litterhydin doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite, Nook Glowlight 3
I just had to delete all the social tags in calibre off a pretty huge library.

Easiest way I found was to go to the edit metadata in bulk page, go to Add metadata, select all, and hit ok.

That should bring you back to the bulk screen, and in the add tag area you should see all the tags available. Once you see that, you can cut and paste it into the remove tags line, and remove em all.

It takes a while to do, but it's a lot easier than going book by book.
hydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast
Pierre-Olivier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Hello,

Congratulation for this great Software.

I've a little question about the metadata management. I did'nt find answer neither in the User nor in the FAQ.

I've uploaded in my SOny PRS-600 more than 1300 eBooks found in the great site www.ebooksgratuits.com. These books are now both in the Calibre Directory, and in the SD card.

Is there qa quick way to * create * collections once the books are in the SD card. I've found that you can create automaticaly collections with using "series" field, or tags, in the calibre library, BEFORE sending books to the device. But how can I do the same on the SD card itself ?

I hope I'm clear enough, since I'm french and English is not my mothertongue.

THank you very much.
Pierre-Olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
use the device view and double click the tags field to edit it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #11
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
use the device view and double click the tags field to edit it.
Yes, Thanks

But how is it possible to do it for a group of book ?

I've tried to select several books, but double clicking the tag field highlights only one line, and the change is made only in one book.

Why isn't it possible to access the icon "Edit Metadata" ?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Olivier View Post
Yes, Thanks

But how is it possible to do it for a group of book ?

I've tried to select several books, but double clicking the tag field highlights only one line, and the change is made only in one book.

Why isn't it possible to access the icon "Edit Metadata" ?
It is not quite as eay as what you ask
Here is a cheat I use from the main book list:

Double click the (a good one if possible) tag field for 1 book.
Copy the highlighted field contents using the keyboard short-cut keys Ctrl-Ins (Win or Linux).
Now double-click the place where you want the same set of tags and
Paste it using the keyboard short-cut keys Shift-Ins
Repeat the Paste for each book.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast

uuhhhhh! thanks !

But Neither do I Know Windows, nor Liinux ....

And with Mac OS, Ins Key is unknwow ...
Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Olivier View Post
uuhhhhh! thanks !

But Neither do I Know Windows, nor Liinux ....

And with Mac OS, Ins Key is unknwow ...
Sorry,
A Mac person will have to help you with Copy and Paste when ther is not a menu mode for it.
Good luck
Old 01-14-2010, 03:15 AM   #15
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have been doing this on the Mac, using Option-C to Copy and Option-V to paste. Works well.

The Option key is the one next to the space bar with the Apple symbol on it. I don't know what its proper name is, it might be called Command? Anyway, you can use that to paste in a sanitised set of tags. I repaired my books after over eager application of social metadata, which resulted in gazillions of collections appearing on my Reader and cluttering the place up and looking untidy and stuff...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tag