Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
PRS-505 will not turn OFF

My 505 was working fine until a few days ago, then I found I couldn't turn it off with the power switch and that it doesn't even close in sleep mode. I've tried everything I can think of with no result and there's no advice around on the net on this particular problem. I live in France, so Sony's help lines, etc are useless to me. Any thoughts? Cheers and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Mosherix
Enthusiast
Mosherix doesn't litterMosherix doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad, PRS 300
Have you seen this thread?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43987

Formating the internal memory might fix the problem
Mosherix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Mosherix. I'll take a look right now. Cheers. Neil
Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr

Tried the re-format advice, Mosherix, but it seems to be taking a heck of a lot of time. For fifteen or twenty minutes, I've had a greyscale screen with an exclamation mark against an back octagonal shape and the words 'formatting internal memory'. Does the delay suggest something else is wrong, or is it normal? Thanks. Neil
Old 08-26-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
mickylonster
mickylonster began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505 e reader
Hi Neilmar, I too posted this problem on this site last week , and I received lots of constructive sugestions . I even went out and bought a "psp" charger, However the problem still rermains IT WILL NOT TURN OFF !! I have tried re-setting it throught the tiny hole in the back , Nada ! So to enable myself to read , I charge it through the a/c charger , to do this I use the slide switch at the top and slide to on , this seems to function ok as the tiny orange light , lights up , however as soon as I plug the a/c charger into the book the light turns red and stays on , the book then goes to "continue to read " thus I am able to read the current book whilst charging , the only downside to this is that when I have finished reading , I just leave the book to dis-charge the battery. Which is "a pain in bum," I will be returning it to the retailer in the uk , when I go there in January 2010. I do hope you get yours sorted out , cheers , Mickylonster
mickylonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr

The problem isn't as rare as I thought then, Micky. At my side, things are now worse than before. I left the machine on charge overnight and this morning woke up to a blank screen. When I uncoupled the thing, it wouldn't turn on. I tried toggling the switch and re-setting and eventully got the 'reader starting up' page. Then the menu is shown with the circling arrows ... then nothing. Blank as though turned off and it won't turn on again. At the moment, I've coupled it up again to the computer and the red charging light shows -- but nothing on screen to say the PRS is USB connected. I'm beginning to think that you and I have duff machines with a fatal flaw. Like yours, this PRS was bought in the UK and I'm out of the country, so it's not easy to fix a replacement with the dealer. How long is the warranty period in the UK? This one was bought at the start of the summer. Thanks and good luck with yours. Neil
Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr

By the way, I've been trying to re-format internal memory but have never completed the process because -- after an hour of the 'formatting internal memory' exclamation mark showing on screen -- I've felt that the function may not be working. Am I wrong? How long should re-formatting take? Cheers. Neil
Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Tried the re-format advice, Mosherix, but it seems to be taking a heck of a lot of time. For fifteen or twenty minutes, I've had a greyscale screen with an exclamation mark against an back octagonal shape and the words 'formatting internal memory'. Does the delay suggest something else is wrong, or is it normal? Thanks. Neil
Sounds like the battery might be flat. And if that is the case, you may need to get an AC adapter to charge your 505. A PSP compatible AC Adapter (not USB) is what you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr

Thanks, JS: The battery shows as fully charged (no red light showing and all cells are a healthy black on the battery status icon) but I've been using a USB. I'm not sure that re-formatting will solve my turn-off problem, though, even if I send to the
UK for an a/c adapter, and -- with Sony 'support' being about a light year short of bloody useless, I'm thinking of trashing this thing and trying some other reading device when I can afford to. Very, very disappointed with all the 505 hiccups. Cheers. Neil
Old 08-27-2009, 02:33 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr

Just for interest folks: As an experiment, I charged up the 505 via usb cable last night until the red light wasn't showing and the battery icon claimed a 'full' charge with four black cells showing. I then left the reader open without turning a single page. According to Sony claims, this should mean there would be zero drainage. However, when I woke up and checked this morning, the battery was as flat as a flapjack. I think those who recommend the AC charger are probably right. Sony is making false claims about the effectiveness of its 'free' usb cable. Many thanks. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 08-27-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Did you leave it connected and turned off the PC?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:21 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr

Hya Igorsk: When the reader told me it was 'fully charged', I left it disconnected from the PC. I just ordered an AC charger from Amazon in the UK (for some reason 30% cheaper than buying it from Amazon in France, where I live). It'll be interesting to see if that solves the problem. I'll certainly report back here. All the generous advice has been wonderful.

Incidentally, I head up the editorial team for a small indie publishing house. For the past eight years, we've covered all paperback releases (twelve a year) with ebook versions. They work perfectly on the PRS 505. If it wouldn't be breaking any house rules, I could post the bookshop URL here and offer any title or titles free to MobileRead members. Perhaps a long-standing member, mod or administrator could let me know if this is OK. I can be contacted on ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, natch).

Thanks again for all the kind help, folks. I'm going to make this superb community a regular calling point. Best wishes. Neil
Old 08-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If your Reader discharged without being connected to USB, then that definitely is not normal. You might have to use the warranty.
You can definitely post a URL to your shop, probably best in the Reading Recommendations forum. As long as you disclose that you work for them it's perfectly fine.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr

Hmmm ... I'll try again tonight, Igorsk, and leave it connected to see what happens. It'll be interesting to see if the AC charger solves the problem, though. If so, I'll certainly post the result -- if not, I'll post that, too.

I'll go into *Reading Recommendations* now, too, and post the URL for our own wee house.

Thing is with ebooks, that they cost so little to produce and zero to distribute because all the hard and expensive work -- editorial, design, technical, promo, what have you -- has gone into the paperback.

From our own site, we offer them at a nominal £1 ($2), but they go at full price on secondary retail sites like Amazon, etc. etc. Being ebook believers for ten years now, though, we're always happy to give them away free to anyone breaking into e-reading; especially folks who discuss ebooks as a community.

We (and our authors) see freeebooks as promoting our own titles and authors, handy (and cheap to distribute) for reviewers who are becoming more and more inclined to read digital versions ... and encouraging ebook reading in general.

Cheers. Neil
Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
igorsk
Wizard

You misunderstood my question. Leaving the reader connected to a turned off computer is exactly what could lead to the battery discharge. Since you didn't do that and the battery still discharged this looks like a faulty unit...