Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Charge via USB charger?

Can the PRS-700 charge via plugging the USB cable into a standard USB-mains charger?

I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work. The device charges perfectly fine from any USB port, but plugging it into a USB mains adaptor (which supplies enough power-up to 1000mA-at 5V) doesn't charge it. The charging screen displays on the device, but the battery isn't actually charging.

The adaptor works fine for other USB devices (Zune MP3 player, mouse, etc.).

Is anybody charging their device in this way?
What would be different about the power coming from the adaptor compared to the power from a computer-based USB port?

I also was planning on getting a solar-USB battery pack for charging my portable devices.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
warriorscot
Enthusiast
warriorscot began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
You actually get slightly more power via an AC charger than a PC USB port, its still within spec for most devices but it may be an issue.

I have one for charging my phone/mp3 player I will give it a try when it next needs a charge.
warriorscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, it won't charge from a USB wall charger via its USB socket - it will only charge via a PC's USB port.

You'll need a charger with a PSP tip - that will work fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hum...

The 505 can be charged perfectly that way.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hum...

Best regards,
Via a "dumb" USB wall charger, using the Reader's USB socket? I respectfully disagree - the Reader will not charge that way; one needs to use the charger socket, which takes the same connector used by the PSP. A cable with a PSP "tip" plugged into a USB wall charger works, but not a cable plugged into the USB socket.

If you have a Reader that can be charged from a USB wall charger, using the Reader's USB socket, you have a distinctly out-of-the-ordinary Reader .
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
warriorscot
Enthusiast

Some devices can be strange regarding the dumb usb charger I have seen and had devices that will not charge from it for months to years then suddenly decide its ok. And I've seen devices where some will allow it and some wont(presumably a difference in factory installed firmware).
Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone.

So if I get a PSP cable I can stick one end in the USB adaptor and the other in the round, yellow DC socket on the device and it should charge. That shouldn't be too hard.

But does anyone know why I can't charge it from the USB socket? What is the difference between the two power sources? Is there some actual 'talking' going on when I plug into a computer that doesn't happen from a wall socket? I've charged the device on my work PC before, and I don't have the drivers/software installed there.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
Thanks everyone.

So if I get a PSP cable I can stick one end in the USB adaptor and the other in the round, yellow DC socket on the device and it should charge. That shouldn't be too hard.

But does anyone know why I can't charge it from the USB socket? What is the difference between the two power sources? Is there some actual 'talking' going on when I plug into a computer that doesn't happen from a wall socket? I've charged the device on my work PC before, and I don't have the drivers/software installed there.
There have been several discussions on USB to wall/mains chargers. This thread is just one of several.

I simpify charging by using both a Sony A/C charger made specifically for the PRS-505/700 and a PSP A/C charger. Yellow adapter goes through transformer and plugs directly into wall/mains. This gives a full, deep charge, in the shortest amount of time.

Hope it explains a few technical details.

WDE/
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hum...

Best regards,
My wife has a USB wall wart for her iPod Touch and it doe snot charge my 505.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

What you want is a good (UL listed) PSP AC adapter. The kind that DOES NOT have anything to do with USB. The kind that plugs into the AC adapter socket on your Reader. The reason I'm suggesting you go with a certified PSP AC Adapter is that cheap uncertified electronics have been known to catch fire and that includes power strips too.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
djgreedo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you want is a good (UL listed) PSP AC adapter. The kind that DOES NOT have anything to do with USB. The kind that plugs into the AC adapter socket on your Reader. The reason I'm suggesting you go with a certified PSP AC Adapter is that cheap uncertified electronics have been known to catch fire and that includes power strips too.
I was hoping for a one-size-fits-all solution so all my gadgets could just be charged with a single USB-mains plug and the cable that came with each device. I also have a USB socket in the car that charges my MP3 player. It would be nice if I could charge my reader in the car as well (I'd probably never use it, but it would be nice to have).

I probably should have mentioned that I live outside the USA, which is why I don't have a mains adaptor for the reader. I should easily be able to find a PSP one though.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Any PSP charger should work just fine with the Reader. They have the same power requirements.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
warriorscot
Enthusiast

Sony do it so you will fork out extra for the mains adapter, its a bit of a con but they are apparently switching next year so that all of their devices will charge from a universal USB connection along with a couple of other big manufacturers of electronics.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorscot View Post
Sony do it so you will fork out extra for the mains adapter, its a bit of a con but they are apparently switching next year so that all of their devices will charge from a universal USB connection along with a couple of other big manufacturers of electronics.
Third-party PSP chargers work just fine, and are a fraction of the price of the official Sony charger.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
For newer Mobile phones following the micro USB charge standard the difference is that for such chargers the signal cables on the phone side are short circuited by the charger. The phone then know that a charger is connected. And the signal on these cables are probably used to detect when you connect it to a computer.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote