Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #61
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Can someone who side-loads epubs via Calibre & uses the Kobo Extended plugin to get kepubs post a screenshot of what the reading stats now show in FW 2.10? I really love the stats w/side loaded kepubs & don't want to lose this functionality by upgrading to 2.10.

TIA

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #62
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The in-book reading stats have been turned off for sideloaded kepubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #63
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Whats in it for you? F/W2.10.0

So for those of you who are using this newest firmware what are your likes about it. How does the engine run under the hood so to speak? What do you like about? What do you dislike about it? What has improved and what has not?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #64
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Thanks. Looks like I will be bypassing this update, unfortunately. I don't want to give up the in-book reading stats of the side-loaded kepubs.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #65
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
At least one person commented they use it frequently because they change hands and depending on where they are reading and want to change the tap zone.
At first I changed the settings quite frequently, too. Then I adopted an awkward holding position with my right hand to tap on the left side just to not have to change the settings every few minutes (and no, I don't like swiping... at all...).

That's why I'm using the CoolReader on my Kobo now.

I really like so much of what has been mentioned as new in this thread, especially the dictionary function. But it's so much nicer to be able to tap (almost) anywhere to page forward - and only now I realize how uncomfortable the way I was holding my reader was.

I just wish Kobo would concentrate a bit more on making the actual reading comfortable because this is what I do most of the time when using my Kobo: reading and tapping to page forward...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #66
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I just wish Kobo would concentrate a bit more on making the actual reading comfortable because this is what I do most of the time when using my Kobo: reading and tapping to page forward...

If you're only interested in tapping forward it should be fine, you can configure two thirds of the screen to register a forward tap. My problem with tapping is that I do need to occasionally tap back (if I'm reading on the street, change to the next page then get distracted by something silly like traffic I'll sometimes forget what the first part of the sentence said and tap back).

Fortunately I have no problems with swiping nor tapping
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #67
monry
monry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hi. I've bought Glo yesterday and I'm on 2.6 currently with no update available. I'm sideloading epubs since Kobo store doesn't have books in my native language.
I like reading stats very much and I wonder if 2.10 update will disable them for epubs as well or just for side-loaded kepubs?
monry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by monry View Post
Hi. I've bought Glo yesterday and I'm on 2.6 currently with no update available. I'm sideloading epubs since Kobo store doesn't have books in my native language.
I like reading stats very much and I wonder if 2.10 update will disable them for epubs as well or just for side-loaded kepubs?
The in book reading stats were turned off for epubs a few firmware versions ago. The stats, or at least some of them, are still collected. From the home screen, if you select "Reading Life" or "Extra" (depending on firmware version) and then "Reading Stats", it shows the stats for the current book.

There is a way to see these for all books. If you add the following to you "Kobo eReader.conf" file, an option to display the books stats will be added to the book menu in the library lists.

Quote:
[FeatureSettings]
BookSpecificStats=true
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #69
monry

Ok, so if I get it right, there are more stats collected for kepubs.
When I go to Reading Life Stats I can check there Hours Read, Pages Turned, % Completed for my epub. Can you tell me what are these "in book" stats only for kepubs? I want to know what I am missing ^^
I have one more question, when I was configuring my Glo, it only updated to 2.6, not 2.8 or 2.9. Is this because there is rollout of 2.10 coming and it will update to this version when possible?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #70
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Glad to hear about the dictionary update. I know this didn't work on 2.9.0 as I tried it myself. I also am tired of them giving a definition by explaining an adjective by telling us the noun form. If I knew what the noun meant then I wouldn't be looking up the adjective dammit!
Also, I thought this was a Kobo firmware thread - where is the outrage and hatred?
Also, I sideloaded 2.90 on my HD. Can I safely upgrade to 2.10.0 normally?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #71
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Also, I thought this was a Kobo firmware thread - where is the outrage and hatred?
I just learned that on the new Paperwhite you can't even sideload fonts anymore. Lovin' my Kobo more every day.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #72
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Curious about which fonts people sideload. I am so happy with Amasis and Kobo Nickel (for contemporary and genre fiction, respectively) that I never felt the need - esp now that I don't get the long paragraph bug with Kobo Nickel anymore.

... just passing time until some kind soul catches the FW file in the wild and posts it
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #73
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Quote:
Ok, so if I get it right, there are more stats collected for kepubs.
When I go to Reading Life Stats I can check there Hours Read, Pages Turned, % Completed for my epub. Can you tell me what are these "in book" stats only for kepubs? I want to know what I am missing ^^
I have one more question, when I was configuring my Glo, it only updated to 2.6, not 2.8 or 2.9. Is this because there is rollout of 2.10 coming and it will update to this version when possible?
Normally it will update if you sync or connect it to the Kobo desktop software. I am assuming that you don't sync since you don't buy kobo books and that that's why it hasn't updated. Where are you from if you don't mind my asking?
Old 11-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #74
monry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
Normally it will update if you sync or connect it to the Kobo desktop software. I am assuming that you don't sync since you don't buy kobo books and that that's why it hasn't updated. Where are you from if you don't mind my asking?
It's not that I'm not going to use Kobo store at all, it's just not my primary language so not my primary source for books. I did download some free fantasy ebooks cause I like to read in English sometimes. I synced through WiFi and via Kobo Desktop but it updated to 2.6 only - that's why I'm asking. I thought that it will show 2.9.
I'm from Poland.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #75
Nightyume
Addict

Quote:
It's not that I'm not going to use Kobo store at all, it's just not my primary language so not my primary source for books. I did download some free fantasy ebooks cause I like to read in English sometimes. I synced through WiFi and via Kobo Desktop but it updated to 2.6 only - that's why I'm asking. I thought that it will show 2.9.
I'm from Poland.
When was the sync that updated you to 2.6? If it was very long ago it would explain it. Try a sync now if you can, see if it updates.

If it it doesn't I have no idea why. Is it a "customized" Glo that shows up with the store's logo or something? That could delay the updates (though it shouldn't by that much). Also I think it would only update to 2.8.x, the 2.9.x seems to be for the Aura only as far as I know though 2.10.x will include the Glo.