Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
centuryx476
centuryx476 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Customizing the library

Hello, I am very new to the forum and still going thru it and learning. And for the record what an amazing piece of software.

What I want to ask is. Is it possible to customize the calibre library so that I have different sections. Like my history books, my science fiction books etc.

Does this involve creating columns. Or a series of tags? Or has someone already did this before and if so please point me to that thread.

Thank you
centuryx476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryx476 View Post
Hello, I am very new to the forum and still going thru it and learning. And for the record what an amazing piece of software.

What I want to ask is. Is it possible to customize the calibre library so that I have different sections. Like my history books, my science fiction books etc.

Does this involve creating columns. Or a series of tags? Or has someone already did this before and if so please point me to that thread.

Thank you
IMHO The simplest is ONE BIG Library (just like the old B&M ones ) and use TAGS (as many as you want).

The to find a topic/subject, simply click on the desired TAG in the 'tags' section of the Tag browser.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryx476 View Post

Thank you
Yes, it can be done. What you're referring to is Virtual Libraries, which is a new feature in Calibre that allows you to set up groups of books to be treated as individual libaries even though they're technically part of the same library.

I don't have time to go in-depth, but I can at least give you an idea of what you need to do. Hopefully others can help you with the individual steps.

1. Enter the data about your books that identifies which library or libraries each book belongs in. You might need to set up a custom field to store this info, or use existing fields. For instance, you might create a "Library" custom column, then each book entry would have "History" or "Science Fiction" or other value in that field.

2. Set up a filter that makes uses the information from Step 1 to show only the books that meet the criteria for how you want your library to be designed. For instance, you might create a filter that shows only books with "History" in your custom "Library" column.

3. Turn this filter into a Virtual Library. You can then select this from your list of virtual libraries at any time.

4. Repeat as necessary to set up your other virtual libraries.

Note that a book can belong to more than one virtual library. It all depends on how you set up the filters.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
centuryx476
centuryx476 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
Yes, it can be done. What you're referring to is Virtual Libraries, which is a new feature in Calibre that allows you to set up groups of books to be treated as individual libaries even though they're technically part of the same library.

I don't have time to go in-depth, but I can at least give you an idea of what you need to do. Hopefully others can help you with the individual steps.

1. Enter the data about your books that identifies which library or libraries each book belongs in. You might need to set up a custom field to store this info, or use existing fields. For instance, you might create a "Library" custom column, then each book entry would have "History" or "Science Fiction" or other value in that field.

2. Set up a filter that makes uses the information from Step 1 to show only the books that meet the criteria for how you want your library to be designed. For instance, you might create a filter that shows only books with "History" in your custom "Library" column.

3. Turn this filter into a Virtual Library. You can then select this from your list of virtual libraries at any time.

4. Repeat as necessary to set up your other virtual libraries.

Note that a book can belong to more than one virtual library. It all depends on how you set up the filters.
Wow dude, that is an amazing it works perfectly. Now I can have all my books all nice and organized into sections.

Thanks a million man
centuryx476 is offline   Reply With Quote