Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
New NC - Some basic questions

Tried searching but nothing came up in the titles.

Cleaning the screen: What is the best way? Can you use those eyeglass cleaners with the solution? How about a wet cloth, with water, with rubbing alcohol?

Turning off: When not using, say hours or overnight, should you press and hold to completely turn off? Anyone know if this makes a material difference to battery life.

Tips for conserving Battery: Some things that come to mind in addition to completely turning off when not in use are, keep wifi off, and have screen brightness at lowest setting that can be comfortable for reading

Couldn't see anything in the stickies/tips, some of which have grown to far to many pages
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I've cleaned my screen with a clean, damp, soft rag. My anti-glare screen cover from B&N came with a nice cloth to use. If you don't have a screen protector, you want to be extra careful that any rag you use doesn't have any dirt - that could cause scratches.

I think you've already hit on the batter savers that I'm aware of: wifi off and brightness as low as is comfortable.

I never bother with powering down the NC completely. I suppose if I was on a trip, and needed to eke out every ounce of power, then I might do this, but otherwise w/ wifi off (and even with the setting of "on", the stock 2.1 android turns off when in standby) the power drain of standby mode is quite low.

I
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Go to any place that sells computer supplies, or camera gear, or, hell, probably your local hardware store, and buy a microfiber cloth. They're made for that kind of sensitive glass, and the better ones can be washed and resued. You shouldn't need anything beyond that, unless you get something really nasty one it. Then, I believe, the recommended cleaning solution is alcohol. Anything that's safe for a flat computer screen should be OK.

I don't bother powering mine all the way down, because it gets plugged in to charge every night anyway. The brightness setting does make a different, but with WiFi turned off, I don't think there's much drain while it's in sleep mode.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I would recommend that you buy the anti-glare screen protector kit. You get 2 screen covers plus a micro-fiber cloth. I found that the cover makes it much easier to manipulate the screen - my fingers glide much more smoothly on the screen surface with the protector in place. Plus it does cut down on the glare some. And you get the cloth. As others have said, a micro-fiber cloth is the best thing to use, damp or dry.

As far as turning it off for overnight or a few days, if you just press the power button briefly, it goes to sleep (like it does if you leave it untouched for a few minutes). It doesn't mention this in the manual, by the way. This is the best way to use it unless you will not be using it for awhile, IMHO.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote